VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 12:09:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop File manager like Midnight Commander  (Read 5979 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:33:11 am »

I.m curious...why not create a menu item or icon to open a terminal with mc. it is basically the same thing as opening a gui program but is lighter

xterm -bg black -fg wheat mc

I added this to wmdrawer but you can add to xfce menu with the settings/menu editor

adding: there is a graphical two pane file manager called emelFM but I do not know if it is compatable with vl5.8/5.9 you can see it here

http://emelfm2.net/

You can experiment if you like..I have NOT used this on vector but there page does link to vectors page so maby it WAS or is an option

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:16:17 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 04:37:24 pm »

It's interesting.
I downloaded and unpacked tar.gz archive, but I have no clue how to install it.
Could you help me, please?

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 04:47:29 pm »

It would be easier to use a Slackware package:
http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=emelfm&ver=12.0
Save it to your hard drive, then as root run:
installpkg name_of_file
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 05:05:35 pm »

I installed it and it seems to be good to me. I will play with preferanses a little bit, but in general it's good.
The only thing I am worried about is:
Code:
vector:/~
root:# emelfm2

(emelfm2:3598): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_resize: assertion `width > 0' failed
This appeared when I first started it. I have no clew what it means, but the program works, and it's great!

One more question, to improve my education:
If, for instanse I have no choise, but to install tar.gz archive, could I do this?

Thanks a lot.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 05:18:06 pm »

It is usually best to check for vl pkg then slackware then external packages as you will encounter fewer issues with local packs designed for the system...dependencies are usually the concern but you can install a variety of packages includeing tar.gz..the unpackaged folder usually has instructions and possible dependencies listed.../configure....make...make install I think is the process but it varies thus the simplicity of installpkg or via package manager is best...I was unable to check the slack packs when I posted so offered the site as I thought you may go with a menu item for MC

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 01:38:08 pm »

Thanks a  lot.
I think its pretty good file manager.
About tar.gz:
So I just unpack this thing and then go into the folder and look for instructions listed somwhere there?

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 02:35:58 pm »

ya..I think so...usually a readme or install or something...open with mousepad from the right click menu...you have to be root to " make install "  type: su in the terminal and enter your password. as I mentioned sometimes dependencies can cause grief and you may need to REALLY read the files and site to insure you have all the libs required.. but I have installed several .bz2 and tar.gz with success. and as many with problems..I recommend searching the repository and slack packages first.
I think there are threads here with better instruction on installing...but the basic idea is ./configure...wait for that...make if all went well..su to root and make install...you can also check install if unsure it went well....you can install some tlz and tgz with the installpkg command...I am not the best person to answer this question as I am new and have only limited experience.
cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:45:54 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 05:27:04 pm »

Thanks.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: