VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 01:18:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Format programs  (Read 2080 times)
brock

« on: April 09, 2008, 05:00:39 pm »

Looking for formatting programs like qtparted or gparted, but I only found something thru VASM which isn't my favorite.  I was trying to format a Lexar usb thumb drive but the vasm didn't recognize it.  Do we have another formatting program or is it that or mke2fs?

ChemBook Laptop (it was free) 1.50 GHz 1 gig ram 1024x768 screen Ethernet-cable modem (working on wireless), Vector 5.9 Standard Gold, HD install, NO dual boot--windowsfree system!  prefer Xfce for now
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:23:59 pm »

You could get gparted package from slacky.eu:

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.0/system/gparted/0.3.6/gparted-0.3.6-i686-2as.tgz

You will need parted as well:

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.0/system/parted/1.8.8/parted-1.8.8-i486-1ms.tgz

I think that is all what you need, all the other deps should be already on your vl box. If you find any problems run gparted from the console and post the error message here. Download them and install with installpkg as root or right click > Install

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:20:47 am »

OK, so it is a cheap out,... but the simplest way I've found to format a thumb drive is on an XP machine. 
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 03:37:04 pm »

Not sure why you need to formatt..I have several lexar and some impact thumbs and I just plug them in...the ones that had files and folders and mini programs for windows I just selected all and deleted and started adding files at will under VL

Everything Is Relative
brock

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41:13 pm »

OK, so it is a cheap out,... but the simplest way I've found to format a thumb drive is on an XP machine.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Watch your mouth!  It doesn't matter to me that it is definitely easier, although Puppy gives it a run for it's money. I would never stoop so low as to grace the enemies broken down junk software now that I've been set free!  I left "Micronazi" 3 years ago and have been using Mac up until a few months ago when I finally saw the light.  I am Linux and I will proclaim it from the hilltop.  Everything about 'ms' is evil.  I do everything I can to rely on something else.  I am determined to learn Linux to be reliant on it. 

Wow I came down on you kinda hard no2thesame, huh?  Nothing personal.  I wrote everything with a smile.   Smiley  Thanks for letting me vent on you.   Cheesy

I am trying to load parted right now.  I'll post back my results.  Thanks to both of you!!

overthere, you brought up a painfully obvious point I hadn't thought of. I'll just delete the stuff that's on them.  Yes, that's embarrassingly the right answer.  oh brother  I don't know why I didn't think of that.  But I'll go on with the "parted" program just the same.   

ChemBook Laptop (it was free) 1.50 GHz 1 gig ram 1024x768 screen Ethernet-cable modem (working on wireless), Vector 5.9 Standard Gold, HD install, NO dual boot--windowsfree system!  prefer Xfce for now
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:45 pm »

Well it worked for me.. but I admit if you were useing the drive for some other linux that required a different format and want to restore the format you will likely need the gparted etc...I should try it myself just because..although I have not yet needed to create multi partitions on a thumb and just use them for storage as is.

Everything Is Relative
brock

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 04:51:05 pm »

So I downloaded the two packages.  Installed them, parted 1st then gparted.  On the command line, typing in "parted", GNU politely welcomes me to the program.  Typing in "gparted" I get:

gparted: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »

Ok that is a dependency, try in the console as root (use the su command to become root), slapt-get --install gtkmm
Then ldconfig and gparted again.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:08 am »

Watch your mouth!  It doesn't matter to me that it is definitely easier, although Puppy gives it a run for it's money. I would never stoop so low as to grace the enemies broken down junk software now that I've been set free!  I left "Micronazi" 3 years ago and have been using Mac up until a few months ago when I finally saw the light.  I am Linux and I will proclaim it from the hilltop.  Everything about 'ms' is evil.  I do everything I can to rely on something else.  I am determined to learn Linux to be reliant on it. 

Wow I came down on you kinda hard no2thesame, huh?  Nothing personal.  I wrote everything with a smile.   Smiley  Thanks for letting me vent on you.   Cheesy

Well said Brock! I like your style.  No offense taken.  Smiley

I prefer to use Linux as well.

I have only had to format a thumb drive once, and on a tight schedule. The drive had become a 'read only' file system after being used on a Mac (I don't understand that) , and even root couldn't write to it or change permissions. (feeble excuse coming)  I couldn't find a simple way to format the stick with Linux... the XP machine was there... the stick's owner was frantic... so..

But I'm back on the bandwagon now!! (especially after trying SOHO preview live CD - very nice)
And I'm awaiting eagerly your results so next time I can join with a hearty "I am Linux" as well.

BTW I use gparted on the SystemRescueCD. Never thought of it for thumb drives but I guess it would work. For mugs like me, Gparted  is a nice way to prepare complex partitioning (for dual booting) before putting Vector on. (more feeble excuses) Because sometimes dual booting is the only way I can get Linux on friend's and family's hard disks.

no2
brock

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:42:44 pm »

Alright.  I logged in as root.  Opened up a console and typed in 'slapt-get --install gtkmm.  It responded with, "Reading Package Lists...Failed to open package data.
package_data: No such file or directory"

So then I opened up the Gslapt package manager, clicked the update button and a whole lot of files downloaded, took about twenty seconds.  So then I went back into the console, typed the same thing and it installed all the scripts and I now have Gparted on my machine. 

*note* I typed idconfig and got a command not found.  But my gparted opens up.  So....Vector shoots- Vector SCORES!!!!!  Thanks.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 07:47:20 pm »

*note* I typed idconfig and got a command not found.  But my gparted opens up.  So....Vector shoots- Vector SCORES!!!!!  Thanks.

it should be ldconfig, not idconfig. Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: