VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 02:58:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot open USB Cardreader [SOLVED]  (Read 3708 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« on: April 11, 2008, 10:10:14 pm »

Hello everyone...
I have an USB card reader connected to one of the USB ports and it is identified by the system:
vector:/~
root:# lsusb
Bus 2 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 1 Device 2: ID 0dda:2005 Integrated Circuit Solution, Inc.
Bus 1 Device 3: ID 03f0:c602 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000

I want to read a SD memory card with .jpg files on it.
I'm not able to read the card.
What do I miss?
Is this a 'mount' problem?
Is there a special procedure to access the card?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:06:50 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 04:54:18 am »

Try plugging in the reader with the card already inserted (that is, if you haven't already done it this way).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »

Try plugging in the reader with the card already inserted (that is, if you haven't already done it this way).
Thanks joe1962, It works....
Although it is a bit inconvenient because I do not have an USB port at the front.
OK, at least I know everything is right with my installation.... Smiley

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:21:39 pm »

Although it is a bit inconvenient because I do not have an USB port at the front.

I highly recommend spending a few dollars on a powered USB 2 hub. You can plug it into the USB port and sit the hub on your desktop where it's easily accessible.

If your port is USB 1.1, a USB 2 hub is backward compatible. It won't operate at USB 2 speeds, though.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:40:11 am »

I highly recommend spending a few dollars on a powered USB 2 hub. You can plug it into the USB port and sit the hub on your desktop where it's easily accessible.
If your port is USB 1.1, a USB 2 hub is backward compatible. It won't operate at USB 2 speeds, though.
--GrannyGeek

I can live with it as it is....The computer is a 1997 veteran and more or less a study object.
Thanks for the thought.
#Cariboo

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:49:16 pm »

There is a workaround that has been mentioned in the forum before. In VL 5.9 Std there is a "refresh media" (or something like that) option off the vasm menu on the toolbar. It works on some systems, but not all. When it does work, you can leave the drive plugged in and dismount / change card / refresh media, then it will mount. This runs "sginfo -l" as root, so in any other VL, you could run the command in a console.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: