VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 03:39:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xine Crashes  (Read 3712 times)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« on: April 12, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »

Hi,
Every time I am starting Xine, it begins to load and then crashes. I tryed to open it from a Terminal and got this:
Code:
vector:/~
budulay:$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
AFD changed from -2 to -1
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  2189
  Current serial number in output stream:  2190

As far as I could understand it means that my computer is too weak to handle it. If it's so, I will gust remove Xine. There are many other multimedia players...
Thanks.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:14:50 pm »

Hi,
Every time I am starting Xine, it begins to load and then crashes. I tryed to open it from a Terminal and got this:
Code:
vector:/~
budulay:$ xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
AFD changed from -2 to -1
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  2189
  Current serial number in output stream:  2190

As far as I could understand it means that my computer is too weak to handle it. If it's so, I will gust remove Xine. There are many other multimedia players...
Thanks.

A couple of questions:

1. how much ram do you have
2. do you have a swap partion?
3. how much video memory do you have ?

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

1) 128 mb
2) yes, 500 mb
3) 8 or 16 mb, I don't know exactly(and don't know, how to check it:-( )
Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:24:54 am »

It sounds like your running out of memory any way to up the amount of ram or close some other prgrams and try again.  Sorry can't be of more help.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:35:59 am »

You proccessor and what you may have been attempting to play could also be a factor...I just dropped the ram to 128 meg on my p3-600..it has an ati 3d card..it will open and play my test clips in mpeg, wmv and avi , but there is some hesitation in the video that is not present at 256..the video card in this box although it seems to work very well, does not work well on another machine for video..this may be due to the cards memory or that it is a 3d card..not sure

does it crash just opening from the menu with no file to play?

what is the proccessor..p1-p2-p3

a full spec may help others to assist

I my experience xine offers better low spec results but I am new to linux really

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 06:45:48 am »

Budalay: I mentioned before to you re Opera and youtube and now your Xine problems, that you are attempting to do too much with 128MB. You cannot have a multimedia machine with just 128MB of RAM.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:35:56 am »

does it crash just opening from the menu with no file to play?
Yes. I tryed to open it even from terminal and it crashed. I aslo tryed to open Xine from menu, so it has no file to play, don't using any other program at the same time. It crashed, either.

what is the proccessor..p1-p2-p3
PII - 360 MHZ

Budalay: I mentioned before to you re Opera and youtube and now your Xine problems, that you are attempting to do too much with 128MB. You cannot have a multimedia machine with just 128MB of RAM.
I used youtube and opera on this mashine before, when windows 98 was installed there...
I even watched low-resolution wideos with it. The graphic card is pretty weak to watch high-resolution ones. I thought playing mp3 isn't so resourse-consumming.

I think I will just use another player. It seems that Xine is too much for my mashine.

Thanks a lot for trying to help:-)

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:57:53 am »

If you want to play mp3, xmms is a good player, I added the xmms alarm plugin and use it as an alarm clock...on damnsmall It also played video clips but I cannot get the mpeg plugin to work on vl..

I think it is wise to accept the overall limitations of your specs...I have yet to play on my p1 and 2 with vector but expect to find video limited if it works at all. it is most likely a combination of things and although adding ram may help in many ways it may not solve. if resources are available by all means try it.

win95/98 are light and do function well on older machines if you use a graphical user interface or gui. if 98 works better and you need the video apps there is nothing wrong with it, opera and firefox are available.I am running them with success. I opted for  faster used computers to get video and find that the p3-650 with 384 megs ram and agp ati card will play a dvd full screen on vector. although not all movies are the same and I occasionally get drop frames.

as I mentioned on a p3-600 with 128 meg I can open xine but it has limited playback and does not like dvd's. so a p2 with 128 and possible built in video is likely to be deminished further in terms of video..

my experience for what it may be worth
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:41:07 pm »

1) 128 mb
2) yes, 500 mb
3) 8 or 16 mb, I don't know exactly(and don't know, how to check it:-( )
Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

The 'insufficient resources' message most often occurs with not enough video ram to handle the size (resolution) of the picture you're trying to display. 

To check the amount of video ram you have, examinge the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.   Buried in there it will say how much video ram it found when X was started. 

You may have to add the amount manually into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if probing gives the wrong number.    You can also set the "DefaultDepth"  entry under the "Screen" section  to 16 rather than 24, which trades fewer colors for more available video ram space.

Also, try changing the video driver method using the video tab under the xine setup menu.   It's likely defaulting to 'auto'.   Change this to use X shared memory (xshm or X11).  If it's trying to use xv, that  driver needs a lot more video ram  (but renders faster).  X shared memory driver is slower, but will work on more limited cards.

Depending on the video card and driver used, there may be options to set additional buffer space in video ram as well.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: