VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 01:35:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-Light (5.9) Beta4 Bug thread  (Read 12641 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 13, 2008, 07:00:40 am »

Please report any bugs from the B4 release of VL5.9-Light here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
kultex

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:09:27 pm »

Once more - it is the distro I was searching for years - it is wonderful, it works very well

Still thinking, that you loose a lot, when you use jvw as the default dektop - fluxbox it is much more attractive, goes into the aesthetical direction of a mac , is not a clone of an outdated Windows - and generally I think the invention of desktop icons was the aesthical death of the desktop.
I am really happy, because VL-Light is now the only configured linuxdistro, that does not throw stupid icons on my desktop.

The usability can be reached with other things - so I was working a bit to improve the menue of fluxbox - just a suggestion.

I just give you the end part - after the Fluxbox section

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[separator]
     [exec] (Screenshot) {import screenshot.jpg && display -resize 50% screenshot.jpg}
[submenu] (Cdrom)
     [exec] (Play CD) {xmms /mnt/cdrom}
      [exec] (Play DVD) {/usr/bin/xine_dvd}
      [exec] (Mount) {/usr/bin/explorer_cd}
      [exec] (Eject) {eject}
[end]
[submenu] (Pendrive)
      [exec] (Mount) {/usr/bin/explorer /mnt/vl-hot/sda}
[submenu] (Unmount)
      [exec] (sda1) {/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount sda1}
      [exec] (sda2) {/lib/udev/vl-hot_umount sda2}
[end]
[end]
[submenu] (Floppy)
      [exec] (Mount) {/usr/bin/explorer /mnt/floppy}
      [exec] (Unmount)
[end]
[separator]
[endencoding]
[submenu] (Exit)
      [exit] (Logout)
      [exec] (Reboot) {sudo /sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now}
      [exec] (Shut Down) {sudo /sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now}
[end]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think, it is nice to have the screenshot in the first row of the menue (I need it quite often)

the file /usr/bin/xine_dvd is the same as /usr/bin/explorer_cd - only one line changed:

# explore it
    explorer $MNT

must be changed in:

# explore it
    xine /mnt/cdrom

And the floppy part is just a suggestion - I have no more floppy, so I cannot prove it.

Then for the final release - please do not take beta releases of Opera, because there are no language files available for betas - http://www.opera.com/download/languagefiles/

then there are some locale problems, when you just do, what is said in the wiki - changing the language - but this is a problem of the wiki - I will try this out next week

This was a full download - I had a minimal install with fluxbox as only wm and there I could not startx out of the box, then vasmCC was not working, because of missing libraries, a strange and different fluxbox menue - but this was with beta2 - I will also look at this that next week
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 06:21:25 pm »

Font still leaves something to be desired. Some adjacent letters appear to be touching. The caps are almost twice as tall as small case, where I expect the small case should be around 3/5 or 2/3 the height of caps.

The fonts in xterm and rxvt are inferior, especially xterm. In xterm, all horizontal components of a letter are brighter white, bold, particularly so for e, A, H, 7, and F. Curiously, the number 5 has no top horizontal line. In xterm the font is very hard to read.

xterm and rxvt have no scroll bars.

Something is wrong  with my onboard video, S3 ProSavage8. There are several intermittent spurious horizontal streak lines when the screen is white or light. As this is a recently acquired P4 2.0 GHz system, I will have to run another live CD to see if the onboard vid is kaput.

I'm hearing sound, but there is no speaker icon on panel or systray.

I like the desktop clock, but you really should check the aesthetics of Austrumi in this regard. Beautiful round clock would save a little space--round v. square.

The font of the Forum home page is so small, I'm inclined to think my video is not correctly detected/configured. Getting some scroll lag too, is this indicative of incorrect video?

I get a menu if I left click or right click the Desktop empty space. I think the menu should be called by right click only. I made a Desktop folder named LinuxOS for downloading ISOs and I cannot drag this folder to another location, possibly because of left and right click behavior.

I haven't mentioned this before about Fluxbox, but I do not use Apple products, and I am unimpressed with the OS X/Dreamlinux effects of icons. It seems kinda out of place to be used with Fluxbox. BTW, my experience of the latest DreamLinux was dismal.
EDIT: re: effects: I don't wanna be a sourpuss, so I guess a little "flair" is okay.

If VL is gonna offer a live CD, this might be the version to run as a live CD. I mean, what can you really do with a live CD? It may as well be trim like VL-Light. Does VL-Light have comparable abilities to do stuff like read and write NTFS? What can VL-Std do that VL-Light can't do?

Frequently, when I go to a youtube video, I get an error from Adobe Flash Player that it has stopped the playback due to some problem, but the video plays after I close the error message.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:57:27 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:21:13 am »

[exec] (Play CD) {xmms /mnt/cdrom}
      [exec] (Play DVD) {/usr/bin/xine_dvd}

Excellent idea! Say, try this command: xine dvd:/ or, for full-screen deinterlaced: dvd -D -f -g dvd:/ How does that work for you?

The vl-hot launchers are not quite so clear cut, as they are dynamically created and deleted. Will look into floppy mounting (do anyone besides geeks use floppies for anything but boot devices any more?).
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:25:45 am »

The font in xterm and rxvt are inferior, especially xterm. In xterm, all horizontal components of a letter are brighter white, bold, particularly so for e, A, H, 7, and F. Curiously, the number 5 has no top horizontal line. In xterm the font is very hard to read.
Fixed for next release.

You can scroll by holding down the shift key, then using PgUp/PgDn. Maybe we should have scroll bar in one or the other, covering both bases?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 06:48:40 am »

You can scroll by holding down the shift key, then using PgUp/PgDn. Maybe we should have scroll bar in one or the other, covering both bases?

Yes we should... I find it annoying that the terminal doens't have scrollbars out of the box...

kultex

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:30:28 am »

The vl-hot launchers are not quite so clear cut, as they are dynamically created and deleted.

I have no idea, if you know MUT2 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=47239375&t=26892 it works quite nice in Puppy and is easy to use for normal users - perhaps it can be adopted to vl-hot and xfe
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

You could use vlh-umount, it will umount all the devices though.

The vl-hot launchers are not quite so clear cut, as they are dynamically created and deleted.

I have no idea, if you know MUT2 - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=47239375&t=26892 it works quite nice in Puppy and is easy to use for normal users - perhaps it can be adopted to vl-hot and xfe

hmmm, another daemon. I am sure is lighter than hal, but I love the udev based vl-hot, which make use of the udev daemon without adding one. Even when we could work on different interfaces for different desktop environments I dont think it should be replaced.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:09:11 pm »

I agree. Adding hal would make a significant difference. vl-hot does a fine job as it is.

kultex

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 12:46:22 am »

I adopted my fluxbox tabs to VL-Light - perhaps some do not make sense, or there are better solutions - just a proposal

# ~/.fluxbox/keys

# Anwendungen
Mod1 d :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand dillo}
Mod1 f :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand firefox}
Mod1 g :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand gqview}
Mod1 k :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand gnumeric}
Mod1 m :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand gtkam}
Mod1 o :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand opera}
Mod1 p :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand pidgin}
Mod1 t :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand rxvt}
Mod1 w :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand abiword}
Mod1 x :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand xine}

# Windows
Mod1 KP_7 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 0 0} {ResizeTo 834 502}
Mod1 KP_4 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 0 0} {ResizeTo 834 1006}
Mod1 KP_1 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 0 504} {ResizeTo 834 502}
Mod1 KP_9 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 834 0} {ResizeTo 444 502}
Mod1 KP_6 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 834 0} {ResizeTo 444 1006}
Mod1 KP_3 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 834 504} {ResizeTo 444 502}
Mod1 KP_8 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 0 0} {ResizeTo 1278 502}
Mod1 KP_2 :MacroCmd {MoveTo 0 504} {ResizeTo 1278 502}
Mod1 Control Left :SendToPrevWorkspace 1
Mod1 Control Right :SendToNextWorkspace 1
Mod1 Control 1 :SendToWorkspace 1
Mod1 Control 2 :SendToWorkspace
Mod1 Control 3 :SendToWorkspace 3
Mod1 Control 4 :SendToWorkspace 4
Mod1 Return :MaximizeWindow
Mod1 q :Close
Mod1 s :Shade
Mod1 a :ArrangeWindows

# Workspaces
Mod1 1 :Workspace 1
Mod1 2 :Workspace 2
Mod1 3 :Workspace 3
Mod1 4 :Workspace 4
Mod1 5 :Workspace 5
Mod1 6 :Workspace 6
Mod1 Left :PrevWorkspace
Mod1 Right :NextWorkspace

# Fluxbox/System
Mod1 Down :RootMenu
Mod1 F9 :restart
Mod1 F10 :exit
Mod1 F11 :Exec sudo /sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now
Mod1 F12 :Exec sudo /sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now

# Audio/Video
Mod1 F1 :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand xmms /mnt/cdrom}
Mod1 F2 :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand usr/bin/xine_dvd}
Mod1 F3 :Exec amixer set Master 1-
Mod1 F4 :Exec amixer set Master 1+
Mod1 F5 :Exec xmms --play-pause
Mod1 F6 :Exec xmms --stop
Mod1 F7 :Exec xmms --rew
Mod1 F8 :Exec xmms --fwd
kultex

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:25 am »

sorry - I have just seen, that

Mod1 f :MacroCmd {ResizeTo 444 1004} {MoveTo 834 0} {ExecCommand firefox}

ruins the desktop

Mod1 f :MacroCmd {MoveTo 834 0} {ResizeTo 444 502} {ExecCommand firefox}    is better, but still does it, when the desktop is emty

so perhaps the best is just

Mod1 f :ExecCommand firefox
kultex

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 06:51:29 am »

hmmm, another daemon. I am sure is lighter than hal, but I love the udev based vl-hot, which make use of the udev daemon without adding one.

I did not think to add one - I just thought to adopt / make some small program, that shows you the status of vl-hot. Perhaps Mut2 was not the right example - Perhaps Pdrive http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=714212477&t=21200 is the better example. I like the description: "Pdrive is a 'skin' of Pmount (Puppy mounter). "

By the way - I think MUT2 is not hal - it is a standalone mounter which works beside pmount in Puppy  - as fare as I understand it (I use puppy only for repairing and rescue things)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 11:41:56 am »

Indeed, it is not hal, but it is a daemon. Adding different ways to notify beside the desktop icon and the sound it is a good idea. I am working in that for the window manager I use. Given that light will ship fluxbox as a main wm, may be is good idea to work on it. May be with the tray or something, I have used fluxbox only a few times.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 08:03:21 pm »

edit...opps...bad idea...i"ll learn
cheers
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:07:44 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
kultex

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:33 pm »

Indeed, it is not hal, but it is a daemon.

But it is a deamon, that starts only, when I want and it does only things I want and does not eat resources in the background - I just remember the days, when hal crossed my ways in Ubuntu - it was the last time I used Ubuntu
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: