VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 07:35:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no video live cd standard 5.9  (Read 1332 times)
katsushiro

« on: May 05, 2008, 09:38:06 am »

I'm trying to find a nice, low requirement Linux distro for my beat up old Dell Optiplex GX1.  (450mhz pIII, 384mb ram, 20gb hdd)  After some searching I found Vector,

I downloaded the 5.8 live cd, burned the ISO and it wouldn't get past loading /udev, then went back and checked my md5 and realized my mistake again.  second try on download also got wrong md5 return, so I went with 5.9 live cd.  this downloaded with the correct md5, and will allow two current systems to boot just fine. 

When attempting to boot the GX1 to this disk, it will load the cd, give me the "f1 for help or enter to boot" screen, then no matter if I choose enter, or one of the specified drivers/modes from the f1 menu, the display just reports, "out of scan range."  The system video card is the integrated ATI Rage Pro

I know the system hardware is fine since it runs XP (slow, but without error), and the only knoppix disk I had around worked fine as well.  Is there something I can try to get this to boot before moving on to the next 'low resource' distro?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:30:27 pm »

Is there something I can try to get this to boot before moving on to the next 'low resource' distro?

If it helps..I downloaded the vl5.9-stdgold as the live cd was not then available. I have it installed to a p3-650 with 384 megs and it is really nice..I have an ati rage pro agp card and use the generic ati driver...I found it a good choice for this box ..I say this for quick responce, in hope you will find a quick solution..as I do not have the live cd I can only suggest giving the 5.9 std version a try if the live cd is not working...it was very easy to install..and in my newbie opinion you made a good choice..stick with it..I know...more downloading...and you may be already frustrated....or maby i'm haveing a flash back..in retrospect.I thought it was well worth my efforts
cheers

Everything Is Relative
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:43:06 pm »

hello,
the "out of scan range." means the sync ranges were detected wrong for your monitor. you can either try another monitor, or the "vesa" video option or manualy edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and enter the correct values.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
katsushiro

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:29 am »

I appreciate the assistance, and I do plan on downloading the full version eventually, was really just hoping to have something that my 5yo daughter (It's her computer) can start to get used to before having her switch from MS.

As for uelsk8s, previously I mentioned
"if I choose enter, or one of the specified drivers/modes from the f1 menu, the display just reports, "out of scan range."
This did include trying the "vesa" video option.  And since I can't see the display as it loads modules, I cannot see once it's booted to edit xorg.conf.  Is there perhaps a way I can edit it on the menu where I selected "vector vesa" before it starts bootin?

The display attached to this GX1 is the last crt/vga display I have in my house.  I'll see if I can borrow one from a friend, but for right now I think I'm a bit stuck in the water.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:51:23 am »

try typing cli at the boot prompt and see if that gets you to a CL login
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: