VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:26:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using gtkam as user  (Read 1683 times)
Birdman

« on: April 13, 2008, 08:58:47 am »

I am having trouble using gtkam as a user. As root I can identfy the camera and download pictures. As user I just get error messages saying that the camera cannot be detected. I have referred to the gphoto2 docs and suspect that the problem revolves around permissions and hal. Any tips on how to configure this?

Thanks.

Alan
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 10:22:33 am »

Hy,
wish version of VL do you use?
I had similar problems with Gtkam and VL 5.8 and a Kodak C875. A couple of days ago I upgraded glipphoto and Gtkam and now I have not only this model accessed directly (before only as PPT device), I can work as user also.

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Birdman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:02:51 pm »

Carsten,

I am using using 5.9 Standard. The camera is a Fuji Finepix 40fd and connects via PTP.

A few years ago Slackware was my main distro and I recall having to configure everything manually because none of the gphoto2 was part of the standard distro. As Vector addresses multimedia issues up front I was expecting a digital camera to connect with the supplied software without these issues. Now that things have moved on and hal has replaced udev I am not quite sure where to start. I had a quick check of the VL docs but there is no mention of configuring digital cameras.

Alan
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 03:20:06 pm »

I hooked up a supported camera a while ago and had the same issue.  Turns out the devs (gphoto2 devs) didn't set it up so the camera specific udev rule was created at package time.  I added the new rule and it was accessed by normal users.

If you are able to access the camera with root that is a very good sign.  Your camera is supported.

To add a new udev rule for your camera:

As root run the command in a console:
lsusb -v

Scroll up until you see mention of your camera.
Here's a snip of my Kodak Easyshare:
Bus 6 Device 2: ID 040a:0588 Kodak Co.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x040a Kodak Co.
  idProduct          0x0588
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Eastman Kodak Company
  iProduct                2 KODAK EasyShare Z740 Zoom Digital Camera
  iSerial                 3 KCKDT54124350
  bNumConfigurations      1
Take note of idVendor and idProduct lines.

Take your favorite text editor (as root) and open /etc/udev/rules.d/30-libgphoto2.rules for editing.

Make a new rule in the same area as the other rules in the file. Heres a example of a rule to get my camera going.

SYSFS{idVendor}=="040a", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0588", GROUP="users", MODE="0660"

Note the highlighted numbers match "idVendor" and "idProduct" numbers found in lsusb -v info above.  But the "0x" (zero and x) is ommitted.  Just add the numbers you found, save the rules file, unplug your camera and plug it back in and it should be found right away.

Good luck and have fun Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: