VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 07:21:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor/Graphic Card Problems:-(  (Read 2920 times)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« on: April 13, 2008, 11:42:48 am »

Hello,
I have few problems with monitor and/or Graphic card:

First one:
After I just installed VL5.9 my monitor went crazy:
From the time I started computer It showed only vertical and horizontal strips, that covered all windows and text, so I couldnt do anything.
Then I just took the power off and went sleep(it was evening). Next morning the problem completely dissapeared. Then I thought it was caused by overheating of my computer(I worked a lot on it that day) and I was glad that it dissapeared.
But
today, after few weeks from that moment the problem returned. And now I knew, that overheating isn't the cause, because it appeared almost from the immediately after I started computer.( To be more exact - I tryed to fix litttle problem with logging-in screen, and after rebooting it occured)
The strips are most active at black screen(in terminal and at black screen when computer starts) and at desktop.
When I oppen file manager of web browser, it covers them, but when I minimize or close them, strips return.
I searched the forum and finded few topics that seems to talk about the same problem, but I couldn't understand are they talking about this problem and what should I do to solve it.
I have just switched to VectorLinux from windows and I am kins of 'slow' in understanding some technical issues, yet.

And the second problem:
It seems that VL is unrational in using my video card(Neomagic Corporation NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV]):
scrolling in abiword and opera are enourmously slow(much slower than they were on windows 98 that was installed on this machine before).
As I understood from searching forum, it caused by some driver does not working properly.

Thanks a lot.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 09:15:36 pm »

What driver are you using? It's listed in /etc/X11/xorg.conf under
Section "Device"

Find the line in that section that starts with Driver. Replace whatever is between the quotes with "vesa" like this:
 Driver      "vesa"

If that solves the problems, you can either leave it with the vesa driver (fine for everyday use, not good for games) or someone may be able to help you set it up with a different driver.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:26 am »

Thanks a lot, I will try this when I will return home this evening:-)

Do you have any idea why it showed up on the first day, and then disappeared for 2 weeks?(Just for my education)

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:18:09 pm »

This is likely WAY off base but if you are useing an old laptop it may be the screen connection..I have an old laptop that works fine in one open position but if I close the lid and reopen I get lines on the screen..I just wiggle a little and it fixed...it has recently passed on. just a passing thought and likely not of value

on another machine with an ati rage128 I get a redish bar across the top of the login screen that is made up of five or six mini pics of the login screen but the system seems to function well otherwise and it does not appear when x starts

cheers
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:24:31 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:40 pm »

I tryed "vesa".
Well, it did no good. Colors went crazy(blue instead of red, red instead of green an so on...) and strips remained, so I returned the previous driver.

This is likely WAY off base
I do not understand. Could you, please, explain, what it means?

Interesting thing:
I returned my previous driver, waited a little bit, and strips dissapeared, but I think they will return after some time...

I don't think it's a screen connection problem(at least I hope so), because wiggling have no impact...

Thanks for trying to help.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:34:48 pm »

Hi Budulay, I think this is a similar problem I faced a while ago. Looks like a sync problem to me. In my case used to be triggered by a window overlapping with the right or bottom margin of the screen, or by maximized apps. I think you could try different vsync values on xorg.conf. I never got that solved properly. Lucky me, the window manager I use allows to set a padding value. I set 3px of padding, in that way the window will never get the border.
I have googled a while, it is a weird problem. Similar symptoms are related to white backgrounds, some xfce styles, and some other facts or events. If you ask me, the more weird thing I have seen in my computer. I dunno if this is similar to your problem. In my case used to start slow, and suddenly the whole screen was covered by lines moving all over.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:19:53 pm »

Hi rbistolfi, in my casestrips appear mainly on desktop, terminal and during starting Linux, and when BIOS is starting.
It rarely occurs when some window covers desktop(beside terminal).
Looks like a sync problem to me
I think you could try different vsync values on xorg.conf
I set 3px of padding, in that way the window will never get the border
Could you explain, please. I am new to VL and to Linux in general, so it sounds pretty complicated to me.

Thanks a lot.

ADDED:
It seems that the fun only begins.... After I tryed to unpack some stuff in terminal, THEY(strips) arrived again. A lot of them. And now it seems that they doesn't care that they shouldn't arive when some window covers desktop. THEY are everywhere! After some time THEY dissapeared, but it seems that they definately will return.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:27:50 pm by budulay » Logged

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:03:03 pm »

sorry...way off base = a long shot=likely not the solution....but it was worth mention as it has happened to me and others I know with old laptops...I thought it was the card...hope you find solution
cheers

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 02:33:50 pm »

Seems like the problem is solved(at least for now)

Here is what I did:
1) I changed depth to 16:
DefaultDepth 16

and added
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection
to the resolv.conf (I don't know what it means, I found it at http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?PHPSESSID=e2ea2f8f1e70401a138750bc535cfdfb&topic=5990.msg41465#msg41465 )

2) I set Sync to
HorizSync 30-55

I do not know, which if this two procedures solved my problem, but I am happy it's solved now.
Thanks everybody.

side note:
after I changed these parameters and rebooted, strips continued for a few minutes, then went crazy, like suffering an agony and then competely died.
I was surprised than they died not after rebooting, but few minutes after that.

ps.
scrolling problem is solved by this actions, too.

added:
well, it returned after 2 or three hours, but now there are less strips, and they quickly dissapear.
one more thing - I noticed little crack on the plastic side of my laptop's screen. Maybe it's the cause of those strips to arrive, and maybe it's just damaged plastic and nothing more... I am not sure, maybe It existed for a long time, and I only now noticed it...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:36:22 pm by budulay » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: