VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:31:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPP user permissions.  (Read 2153 times)
truthseeker9

« on: April 14, 2008, 07:30:34 am »

I live where broadband has not become available as yet. I realize dial up isn't very "important" these days, and I am glad that pppsetup and a GUI dialer is included in Vector 5.9 standard. Everything works fine so long as I am logged on as root. PPPsetup nor the Chestnut dialer will function when logged in as a user. I created a couple different users adding to the default permissions setup with vasm but nothing helped. According to Slackware's web site, ppp-go and ppp-off are only accessible to root. That is rather apparent; but how do I give the user(me)  permissions so everything works from the user accounts?
I suppose there are users that should not have permission to access the internet, but shouldn't the default be, for the users to be able to get online? Is there a GUI for configuring groups/users? Is there a dial up group that I need to add users to?
Vector is one of the best working GNU/Linux's I have tried but PPP is not well supported by most. I can't put Vector on Computers(I have repaired) for people, if I can't give the user accounts full ppp access.
I imagine the solution is very simple if you speak/write Slackware, but I need some help here and my searches have not been fruitful.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:22 am »

I am useing dial-up on this box and posted my solution in this thread recently...if you are able to dial out as root 

yes fewer distros are offering it out of the box..and some that do are very limited in modem detection..vector seems to be the best choice I have found in this regard. although damnsmall is a tight second regarding modem detection, it is far from vector in many other ways

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6009.0;topicseen

as user simply open a terminal and type it in...

/sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer

...a dialog box will ask root password....when entered the chestnut dialer will pop up for root and should show your account...click it...then it will dial the account..or ask for the account password depending how you setup.
I added this to the fluxbox menu item and when useing xfce window manager can type in terminal or you may be able to create an icon or menu item for this..see the thread for a how to

The script vsuper gives root access and is used also to open thunar as root which is how I stumbled across it...this is a newbie discovery and I do not know if it is a correct measure but it works to allow user to dial a connection from user.....hope it works for you and you are comfortable with it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:52:08 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
truthseeker9

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:50:44 am »

Thank you overthere.
I am more accustomed to Debian based systems. Your instructions give me ppp access from user, but, no, this is not something I will be comfortable with, and I can not ask my customers(computer repair and custom setup) to go through so much clicking and typing just to gain internet access. They will likely run back to Microsoft.
You mentioned in your posting in "My VL Struggles" that "to use dialup as user you need to be a member of the tty group".
This sounds like the proper way to get setup, but I haven't found where I can edit to give permissions. I changed permissions on ppp-go and ppp-off(using file manager) hoping that would work-nope.
I have a machine with openSUSE on it(this one) and it has a good solution in the Kinternet-Internet Tool. I have a panel button to connect with. One click and I am connected, one more click and I am disconnected. The thing times out way to fast(am disconnected now while typing) but this is the way to go.
I agree that DSL does a good job of setting up modems(were talking REAL modems here), but I would have to rank Puppy as much better at it. I wish the creators of DSL would give up their self imposed 50Mb size restriction though. I think they have proved their point, but now every time they improve something they have to get rid of something. DSL would be more useful and impressive if allowed 100Mb instead, in my opinion. Ubuntu's ppp setup is fine; more difficult with Debian pure. PCLinuxOS asks during installation to go online to get the tools it needs to go online??? That was well thought out.
Vector is better than most for ppp since, as root anyway, I have a GUI dialer(Chestnut) ready to go and the pppsetup from terminal. All I need is the same setup available to users. That would make me comfortable :-)
truthseeker9

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:08 am »

Overthere, I should have read further in your other posts. I see you have shown ways to create a menu item and desktop shortcut to dial out. I will give them a try. Thanks again.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:06:40 pm »

well it's all I have to offer, If you are not comfortable with it perhaps another can help. I agree, the user menu item should work ( even if help is required )or be removed..thats why I mentioned comfort as I still do not know if i am supposed to be useing it or not but this is a solution that works.

you can type groups in a terminal and see what you are a menber of as user...the tty group is or was suggested...you can add to etc groups your user name under the line tty and save as root but this was not the solution...perhaps part of it. if you figure it out post it
cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:54:56 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
truthseeker9

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 07:13:54 am »

Haven't figured it out yet Overthere, everyone. Darn, I like Vector but it just isn't ready for family use or groups with many users. When using PPP that is.
I did as you suggested, overthere, and got a main menu entry "Chestnut". This is "comfortable" if you are the administrator and have created a user account to use so you don't accidentally mess up your computers setup. I can tell you for sure that this is not a correct way to access the Internet from User and PPP(dial up). How I know this is simple. If a "user" is a person that is expected to use the internet, then this is not a user account, since you still require the root password(the first time, and after reboot). Right? I have noticed similar "problems" on other Slackware based OS's. My feeling is that Slackware is still more Geek or Power User centric and hasn't gotten into creating a family or multi-user system as yet. Hopefully the Vector community or Absolute even, can get this working good. I would like a way for easy GUI pre-setup of different types of users(Admin., Main User, Secondary User, & Guest) plus advanced settings for fine tuning permissions. By default, the Admin., Main & Secondary type accounts should have permissions to get online, including PPP. I will suggest that by default, the Guest account does NOT have permission for internet and other things.
I am not a programmer, more of a tester, so I don't know how difficult it is to setup Slackware(Vector, etc.) as I have described here. Hopefully it will be done so I can put Vector on my customers family computers.
Oh! I can't get Vector to burn CD's from User? Works fine from root. More permissions bugs I guess.
I have Vector on my fastest computer and as long as I am the only user or I only use root, then Vector is a fine OS. Everything is super fast, drivers all setup well.
Vector on a A7N8X main board with Athlon XP 3000+, 256MB DDR 400 ram, 64MB Nvidia graphics card. I can upgrade this machine a lot. 3GB DDR Ram-dual channel with two of the ram sticks, pro AGP graphics card ...then it will go!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 08:25:58 pm »

to burn with k3b as user try srttings/ setup user permissions and click ok this is done as root and is only done once...I have had no issues thus far....ppp is fine as a personal computer but as you say is not so muli user with dial-up.....perhaps a network may be the solution, several recycled units are less expensive than one new vista machine. just a thought...vector runs nicely for me on a p3-600 with 256 and will run on less...if you are recycleing a p166 with 128 megs I suggest damn small as it is easy to install on a gig or two and can offer both dialup and a relatively current browser....vl-light may work on a p2 but puppy is a good alternative as I think you know..I like vector but when recycleing computers linux offers a variety of choice where windows offers nothing at all.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:43:15 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 03:25:31 pm »

Well thanks!  I just managed to get Vector installed and going,...but have discovered the same PPP problem (can dialup as "root" only).  And I just now switched back to Puppy linux to find a good Vector forum,....and found a reasonable solution right off the bat.   Cheesy    Thanks for the info,....(recently left win98se behind,...and venturing out into Linux-land)....
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:26:49 pm »

Solved by another way.  Saw a posting somewhere around here (from Jan.) and tried their suggestions,...and it worked!  Opened terminal,.../sbin/vsuper chestnut-dialer  ....then filled out the chestnut dialer form as it appeared.  Now I can dial out to the internet as myself,...not as "root".   (I'm a happy camper).
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »

perhaps this is the thread?
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5193.msg36268;topicseen#msg36268

glad you have ventured in..hope you enjoy linux and your interests in vector

Everything Is Relative
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »

Yes,...very happy with Vector.  It's seems to be a bit more (shall we say) "sophisticated" than Puppy linux,...yet not so over bloated as some of the bigger distros are.   Suse10.3 absolutely REFUSED to boot on my computer after install.  Ubuntu booted OK,...but moved like molasses in Jan. (yuk!).  Gentoo just looked at me and said,  "what the heck you think you're trying to do, newbie?!!"   Puppy just breezes along,....  Vector is pretty snappy,..and looks great, too!
I have a lot  to learn, though,....just now trying to memorize the basics and basic commands.   Not easy for someone who spent years with ol' win98se.   Haven't got anything at all bad to say about the old OS,..it served me well,..I'm very fond of it, and all the good times we had,....but it's time to move on.  (And after win98,...m$ aien't the way to go.)
I'm still trying to find an easier way to get on the internet, besides always changing to "root" to get on,...but it works for now.

I had tried Pc-bsd,...but their KPPP dialer wouldn't let me click on "dynamic" or "automatic" (stuck in manual).  And I have a little dial-up, with no static IP address for 'em.  No one on the PC-bsd forum seemed to even know that Pc-bsd came with KDE installed,...they said KDE was for linux,...not Bsd,..and I needed to study the Freebsd manual.   Hmmmm,....not very helpful if the folks in their own forums didn't know their own OS. (?) weird.  I saw where they're going to make a version of PC-bsd with the GNOME desktop next,....(wonder if the folks in their forum know that).  Probably think that's just for linux, too...............
Oh well,...I found something better that works for me.  Happy with Vector,...(and the Puppy,  when I just want to have a little fun). 
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:17 pm »

OH!  And I forgot to mention, Overthere,..that yes it in fact was your comment I happened to see that clued me in as how to get through to the internet.  Doing do much searching and learning here lately,...that WHERE I find answers seems to excape me,...(head getting too overloaded),..but I'm loving it,.....(but thanks for the much needed info,..)....
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 04:34:02 pm »

I'm still trying to find an easier way to get on the internet, besides always changing to "root" to get on,...but it works for now.

If you create a shortcut on the desktop or add a menu item in xfce or fluxbox then it is just a password and a click...in win98 I have to enter a password and click connect..you are still usr and useing the browser in user , you are just rooting the dialer..if you need to know how there is direction in the link at the beginning of the thread..the only real differance is the dialer does not open when you open the browser and hit a link..so an added click....in damn small I had to open dialer,enter password and click connect..I think in puppy you have to double click the icon and enter the password and connect ...I forget..just sayin don't get stuck on the root thing.. it has it's advantages...if you have additional users just tell them the password or not for a guest..if you can not trust them why are they useing the box..maby thats not helping...sorry
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: