VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 04:01:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Triple Boot With Slackware 12  (Read 1398 times)
mymarkers

« on: April 30, 2008, 08:15:22 pm »

I want to triple boot among Windows XP, Vector Linux, and Slackware 12. I had previously triple booted among Windows XP, and two separate installations of Vector Linux. So I installed Slackware on the partition that had been my extra Vector Installation. During that installation process, I did not install lilo, but rather adjusted my lilo.conf file in my primary Vector installation, and ran lilo. (That's exactly what I had done before to get the 2nd Vector installation).

When I try to boot Slackware, I receive error messages saying "Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18.5/modules.dep: No Such File Or Directory." If I run lsmod, there are no modules. There is a /lib/modules/2.6.21.5 directory with the appropriate modules. I notice that the Slackware 12 kernel is 2.6.21.5, whereas my Vector kernel is 2.6.18.5. This makes me wonder if something didn't get completely cleared off of that partition before installing Slackware. If that's the case, what could I do to asbolutely ensure the partition is completely clean before installing Slackware? I did reformat this partition as part of the Slackware installation. Otherwise, might there be some script that might be looking in the wrong place for the modules?

It doesn't seem reasonable that the error could be in the Slackware installation itself; one would think they'd notice that modules aren't loading. It does finish booting, but without any modules loaded, the system isn't too useful.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:24:09 pm »

boot into VL then remove the folder /boot/tamu and then run vliloconf
that should setup your triple boot.

Let us know if ti works for you.

Uelsk8s
mymarkers

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:03 am »

Worked perfectly. Thanks.
Pages: [1]