VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:14:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: vl5.9-light  (Read 9008 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: April 14, 2008, 10:11:30 am »

not sure where to post this

I am eager to download vl5.9-light..It will take a couple of days and I am short on time just now

Question: What are the minimum specs for best results.

..I have a p1-166 with 64 or 128 megs ram and a p2-333 with 96 or 128megs ram both have 4gigs..128 megs would naturally be better but is it designed to function on less? should I bother with the p166

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:17 am »

I dont think you should bother with the P1... (unless you feel like experimenting, but I'm sure most apps will be unusable)

The slowest machine I have ran this on is a PIII 500mhz with 64mb ram
results = fairly usable

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:22:22 am »

Thanks for the reply...that's interesting..I find vl5.9 std works very well on my p3-600 with 256 and today with 128 although I did not push it yet..I thought vl-light would be designed for lesser..so guessed the p2 w/128 a good option and had hope for the p166..so far the p166 has only had success with dsl on 128megs with swap, I attempted deli mulinux and puppy but failed  feather was a little more work so I tested dsl more completely. I think I seen somewhere about a mini vl maby that would be an option. but time allows one so will try on the p2 /128 and see what works....thanks

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:36:57 am »

You might just want to try it, just out of curiosity.. I'd be interested to know how vl-light does on such old hardware.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 11:51:08 am »

well it all awaits the download...and I will post what may be of interest in the thread already started for bug? although bug is not the same as just will not work on my spec I guess.

Everything Is Relative
VgnFrnd

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 11:52:45 am »

I'm running vl5.8-lightb3 on a p2-233 with 96mb ram. It's as peppy as win98 ever was on that machine.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:41 pm »

well thats positive..the p2-333 currently has 96megs and 4gig so all I have to do is install...I think the agp pg80 vid will have to go though, I recall it not being so linux friendly.

these boxes were slated for the dump but they do work fine..so I am glad to find a new use for at least one regardless the end result
cheers
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:06:42 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:06 am »

vl-light appears to have no dialer. so anyone with a dialup account can skip it if they had hope.

cheers

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 05:01:22 am »

I see some dialers in the repo. Is there one that you have used and would recommend?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:37:43 am »

well..

I managed to get the chestnut dialer included in vlstd to work and had looked for it in the repository thinking I may add it to light myself but did not know how to get it.

.it shows up in gslapt but is already installed on the machine I was useing, and the site seemed down so I did not know how to access the repository for a more direct download..

.if I did get it I was unsure if its installation is all that would be required to fuction as I needed vsuper to get the std to work plus it may have required  files not in light to make it light..

was more confuseing than interesting so I thought to  pass it by.

I am thankfull vl std works for dialup and do not want to make waves. I did go to the slack12 repository but got no result for chestnut..I did get a result for kppp but it appeared there are several files...thus my post..just to save others the time and complaint

thanks
cheers

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:53:33 am »

I did not know how to access the repository for a more direct download..
Use gftp and navigate to the /pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9/packages directory. Download it from there. But if the server is down the server is down!
.if I did get it I was unsure if its installation is all that would be required to fuction as I needed vsuper to get the std to work plus it may have required  files not in light to make it light..
Once you have the package on your system, login to a terminal as root (su), then type: "installpkg nameofpackage". It's that easy.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:42 pm »

..navigate to the /pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9/packages directory. Download it from there...

Hi..sorry..Which package are you refering to..is there a package called chestnut-dialer or is it named something else which includes it and config files?

I see ppp and tcpip but can not find chestnut-dialer..what packages would I need?

thanks Huh

adding: I was looking here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9/packages/net/

and here also
http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9/packages/

I do see it here in 64 but not for vl-5.9 std or light correct?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/VL64-5.9/packages/net/

adding: I see now that ppp is in etc rather than opt,,,so as you say may be I just need to install a dialer..just not sure where chestnut pack is yet..will see if I can find vwdial then, although chestnut is nicer.

the package seems to be missing
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/veclinux-current/packages/net/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:47:46 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:38 pm »

Once you have the package on your system, login to a terminal as root (su), then type: "installpkg nameofpackage". It's that easy.

Hi,
I'm joining this discussion to figure out if 'lagagnon's' instruction would be the answer to my question.
Because of THIS I was told to try to install VL 5.9 Light.
The hardware is capable to run VL 5.9 Standard, (which I have already installed on a much older computer and which I like very much).
I was wondering, when VL 5.9 Light is installed, if I could upgrade the system to VL 5.9 standard? Huh
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:50:18 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 04:52:12 pm »

am I looking in all the wrong places? should I just leave it alone, Smiley play on my own?  Grin  yes? no? is fine Huh
cheers

adding:
hehe..well the answer is YES..
although I did download chestnut from sourceforge as expected files are missing for .configure make..ifconfig I think was one..

so like I said and should have left alone is.. vl-light has no dialer..yet anyway.. so one may want to skip it if they had dialup in mind

on a positive note things seem to work otherwise on this minimal spec although I would default fluxbox, add wmdrawer with mount/umounts etc and fix the fonts in the terminal and change the wallpaper and choose a better style..but thats the fun then is it not. I posted how to for std which would likely be the same except the font. I knowtice a right click fixs the existing bar...enough said

I think I will try std on the box
cheers
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:03:59 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »

am I looking in all the wrong places? should I just leave it alone, Smiley play on my own?  Grin  yes? no? is fine Huh
cheers

I found THIS.   
Not sure if that's it what you are looking for....

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: