VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:00:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: vl5.9-light  (Read 9284 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 06:14:44 pm »

Ya thanks cariboo I already downloaded the bz2 and the 64-5.9 chestnut but what I was looking for was the tlz package for 5,9 which seems to be missing...I have cleared light to try vl std on this box as it is of no importance to anyone...
cheers...hope you got the xmms working
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:17:06 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 07:03:28 pm »

Hey overthere, a bit of patience will no hurt Wink. Indeed, the chestnut dialer package is missing from the repos.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

yes it is true.. which is why I decided to try std as it is easy to install both and I need a distraction...if a dialer is chosen or found to work or the package turns up where I did not look.. I am interested and will watch this and the bug thread while getting inspired to reinstall light and play some more...sorry to appear negative and post to much about nothing...thanks though for the opportunity to make it more clear...if I did...
cheers
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 07:30:59 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 07:46:27 pm »

I see ppp-2.4.4-i486-1.tlz in the repo. No problem including it in next release.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 08:56:56 pm »

I thought ppp was already installed...in/etc..chap secrets and peers and all that?

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:46 pm »

cheers...hope you got the xmms working

Not yet, it seems I'm missing something. I posted some screenshots HERE.
Maybe you have a minute to look at it. I think the problem is that I want to play *.ogg files and I don't know how to configure XMMS for that.

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:19:41 am »

I see some dialers in the repo. Is there one that you have used and would recommend?

My fav dialer is wvdial, it does a great job. I think there is some guis for it around.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 04:23:59 am »

I want to play *.ogg files and I don't know how to configure XMMS for that.

Have you tried changing the Output Pluging from OSS to ALSA?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 04:56:51 pm »

well I did attempt to install wvdial, gppp, and chestnut from the gz packs available via google from there sites..but was not successfull at installing..vl-light seemed to work well on the box but I am uninspired by the lack of dial-up access as I have to share a monitor at the moment ...so have to shut down and reboot the other to get online..maby later....I forgot to try the burner on light.

I decided to try std but it does not like this p2 w/128 much .k3b crashes the xserver on std on this box when I attempt to open the setup to add user.so I reinstall 98 which likes it fine...but it grinds along ..so vl-light is the best option if it is not going to the dump.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 05:01:47 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »

... but I am uninspired by the lack of dial-up access

Need more info to help you. Please post output of following commands:

dmesg | grep serial
dmesg | grep tty
ls -al /etc/rc.d/rc.serial
lspci
lsmod
cat /etc/wvdial.conf

thanks...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 06:02:06 pm »

Thanks for the offer, thats very kind... but it had been my intention to chuck these p1, p2 in the dump and my curiosity regarding vl-light on the p2 is satisfied..It works but does not offer dial-up..

if offering dialup on vl-light is of interest to the creators I am sure they will include it in the final release...and I will redownload...but at beta4 without dial-up I am guessing no one had intended it to be added...

I am not clever enough to add dial-up myself. It is not currently included and not functioning. it is not there. So these are going to the dump... I have already started robbing the parts...it is just to late for these particular boxs...vl-light has potential but I will put it in the no dial-up pile for now

cheers
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 06:03:56 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 06:47:04 am »

I want to play *.ogg files and I don't know how to configure XMMS for that.
Have you tried changing the Output Pluging from OSS to ALSA?
Thanks for asking....No I didn't, and I don't know exactly how to do that. Maby you send me a private message because I know, this issue has nothing to do with the theme of this topic, and it may be confusing for other readers...
Thanks again!
Cariboo

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 08:20:06 am »

Hi cariboo..just right click and then choose options/preferances

you may have better success with a new thread for your xmms issue.....as it is not an original question in your struggles post...

My question...will dial-up be added to vl-light final? yes, no  Smiley   ...just curious
cheers
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 08:29:25 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 11:07:44 am »

No I didn't, and I don't know exactly how to do that.

I was looking at the screenshots you posted. On the first one (configure xmms), I can see the preferences page with libOSS.so selected. Click there and you should get a drop-down menu to choose from.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 11:12:45 am »

...will dial-up be added to vl-light final? yes, no  Smiley

Maybe  Tongue

I was asking for recommendations since I have no experience using dialers under Linux. I'll see what I can find. I may have a modem somewhere in my parts collection to test on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: