VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:32:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: vl5.9-light  (Read 8258 times)
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 11:57:39 am »

Hi
I have a little off-top question:
Now I have VL5.9 std gold installed on my pretty old laptop(pII - 350MHZ, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB Hard Drive)
It works a little slower than win98 that was installed on this mashine before.
so here is the question:
If I will install VL5.9 Light, will it work significantly faster, or it doesn't worth ruining existing system?
Thanks.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 12:18:13 pm »

thanks ...in response I ask why chestnut was not used from vl5.9 std...is the extraction of xfce4 deleteing files required? I mentioned what I attempted but did not find the vl package if it is different

I have an external serial and isa fm8818 hardware with rockwell chips from mexico working on std. I have others ...whatever.. i'm in no rush and what ever you chose fine..maby works for me...I would help if I could.
cheers

with regard to the above post..std did not like my p2 333 w/128 at all and light seemed fine with few issues already noted in the bug thread..it is a beta still...did not test long.,so up to you

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:33:13 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 01:53:26 pm »

Budulay,

If you have VL 5.9 Gold Standard installed and working, I'd suggest leaving it on there. You can make it much like Light by using JWM or Fluxbox instead of XFCE.

It will probably run a little slower than Win98, or at least slower than you remember it. Much of that comes from running a modern browser, which is a much different beast than it was 10 years ago.
YeOldeFarte

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 04:56:14 pm »

Greetings!  I. was going to download vl5.9-light when it came out of beta, since I am on dialup and do not want to repeat the task many times.
     I was surprised to find no mention of the Slackware based ppp dialer, that Vector usually has, and which is terminal based.  If you log in as root and type "pppsetup" in the terminal, do you get the usual series of questions that ends with the ability to use "ppp-go" and  "ppp-stop" to activate and deactivate the dialer? 
    I always use this means.  It is simple, effective, and I ASSUMED it would be present in vl5.9-light.
    Thanks for considering this.
                                                           YeOldeFarte 
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 06:38:31 pm »

I think it is included

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 04:47:58 pm »

You can make it much like Light by using JWM or Fluxbox instead of XFCE.
Thanks, I tried both of them.
At this point I have only two questions:
1) is there a way to adjust panel and desktop?  - add some icons for example or change wallper(It's really easy with XFCE - right click and here it is...)

2) why 'free' shows that 117000mb of my memory is in use, when I am working in JWM? Logicaly, it should be lower...

Xfce is a bit prettier than this two, but they work significantly faster, and if there is a way to make some adjustments, I think I will switch to one of them, probably to the JWM(It seems more familiar to me. I couldn't imagine, how to work with fluxbox...)

Thanks a lot.

ps.
sorry for off-top.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:35 pm »

you may use wbar in jwm for icon type launches..it is on the menu...and I like wmdrawer in fluxbox...I posted screenshots in the lounge and posted how to if you want to try it

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 05:49:01 pm »

1) is there a way to adjust panel and desktop?
For JWM customizations: http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml
To change the wallpaper, open pcmanfm, click edit > preferences > Desktop and use the wallpaper option there.
The icons on the desktop are in ~/Desktop. You can copy files from /usr/share/applications or create your own.

2) why 'free' shows that 117000mb of my memory is in use

Try htop instead
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 05:57:56 pm »

To change the wallpaper, open pcmanfm, click edit > preferences > Desktop and use the wallpaper option there.
The icons on the desktop are in ~/Desktop. You can copy files from /usr/share/applications or create your own.

This is for vl-light correct? thanks I can use it...I think budulay is useing standard

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 04:36:16 am »

That's for the JWM/pcmanfm combination.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 09:44:39 am »

Thanks I wil give it a try.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 03:21:29 pm »

on light I like the pcmanfm as it posts the free hd space..the other that pops up when you mount does not seem to show that. or I did not find it yet..note to self...I need a monitor

the burner takes a little getting use to I burned 200 odd meg in folders and individual files and accidentally included the home folder with the others but it worked fine twice in a row..I find light works better on my p3-600..on the p2 I got choppy mp3 playback off the  second drive which stores swap and media..plays fine on p3..also the  vid trailers mostly played but those that were seemingly corrupted played on p3....have another p2 now so may try it with the cards, drives and ram to compare.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:33:44 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 11:17:43 am »

for those who may be interested

I installed chestnut dialer and am posting from vl-light via dial-up on p3-600 w/256

I see the addition adds 15 odd meg in packages python being 8 or 9 meg, may have been extracted for this reason

added from repository
 chestnut-dialer
 python
 pygtk2 (includes glade?)
 pygobject2
 libxml2
 gtk+2

type in term as root:
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
( above noted in chestnut log.. resovled risk error when attempting dial)

vasmcc  modem auto detect seen ttys0 (set dialer device ttyso)
add number to dial, user name and password
not sure this is set correctly for risk but seems to work fine

if it is of value
cheers

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2008, 01:50:21 pm »

if it is of value

Yes it is. That's what community editions are about. Chestnut dialer is included in next release of Light.  Smiley
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 03:29:05 pm »

It should be noted that I am useing the same rooted method as in std. via vsuper. I dialed from terminal and Fluxbox menu item and from added menu item in JWM

edit: the error when dialing reoccurs after reboot. the suggested fix works fine but I do not know where to place for more perminant solution.
here is the dialer log:
pppd: pppd is unable to open the /dev/ppp device.
You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
executing the following command as root:
   mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
after executing the command all is well...log out of flux and into jwm and dials but lost after reboot.

.have not had time to work on the wvdial I downloaded.

I found that useing vsuper with  pcmanfm prompts password then turns fluxbox background red, adds desktop icons and NO file manager. xfe seems to root and may be a good menu item

edit: haveing some issue with backup files that seem to want to be read only or turned into exectables on light but are as was on std....will have to formulate a question

when I open a file manager and then open a text file...I am ask what to open with..when choice is made (ie adie) the file opens and then hides behind...does not stay on top until poped back via tray listing.

when I play a .wav file with aplay either from terminal, menu or wmdrawer. The file is short...ie "one moment please" is "noment please" the files play fine in xmms..curiosity all

I do not know if these are bugs or stupidity...so posting here..the two file managers are confusing..I like pcmanfm for the free drive space listed and xfe has the trash and seems to have better functionality. can I find remaining drive space other than pcmanfm

will have to find some consistancy in all this...sorry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 05:51:36 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: