VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:56:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you get VL to work, I mean install?  (Read 2886 times)
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« on: April 03, 2008, 03:54:57 pm »

Uh.... major stupid feelings in my head right about now.  Huh

So I put the good VL CD in a crappy windows box, so I can get rid of windows and go to VL, I boot it up, and it still loads up windows. How am I supposed to change the BIOS so that the CD boots before th hard drive? On my computer I'm using now, you just hold down "c," and I think you're supposed to press one of the f# buttons and change it while it boots up on this one, but I can't figure it out. I've pressed them all, it seems like. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:04:06 pm by IShookDweeberkittysHand » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:00:10 pm »

You probably need to change the boot sequence in BIOS so that the CDROM is before the hard drive.

Some usual keys for entering BIOS setup are Delete, F1 and F2.

You can also try the Pause key to stop the sequence, that may enable you to read screen messages with more information.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 04:02:04 pm »

Weird. Normally you press Esc, F1, F2, or DEL. If I'm on a computer I'm not familiar with, I press them all at the same time and bang my head on the keyboard....makes people wonder sometimes.

Not sure how to fix, the problem though. What type of computer are you using? For example, if it were a Dell Dimension xxxx etc... tell us that. Otherwise, a good fix is to tear open the hard drive and replace the little disc inside with the VL CD, then you should be good to go.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »

It's a custom-built PC. That's why I say it's crappy. It's even less, uh, predictable than a dell or hp.  But I might get a Dell made in 2001 this week, so I might try it on that.

I do like the banging head on keyboard thing. That sounds fun. Cheesy

By the way, that picture looks nothing like you. But it made me laugh.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:07:51 pm by IShookDweeberkittysHand » Logged
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »

You can't write this stuff.  I literally banged the keyboard against my head and this screen came up. I'm really excited and fairly stumped.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:42:35 pm »

Go to "Advanced BIOS Features" and change the Boot Order.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:56:52 pm »

Otherwise, a good fix is to tear open the hard drive and replace the little disc inside with the VL CD, then you should be good to go.

ROFL
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 10:14:51 pm »

Yeah, sorry. I was premature in my asking for help.  I got it to boot up, but now I'm confused about the partitions, but instead of asking I'll just browse around until I get it. Smiley

I'm sure I can figure this out...
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »

Hy,
my advise (of course without prejudice and any warrant and so on  Cheesy ) in respect to partitions:

when asked, choose separate partitions for Root and Home.

This makes live easier on long term, i.e. upgrading/changing distros.

The rest should be just agree to anything the installer supposes (except you have a VERY small harddisk and want to slim-line as far as possible).

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:56:55 pm »

Thanks Carsten, I'm just a little confused on how this partitioner works. Ah, well, I'll work on it tomorrow.
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

So I go through the whole installer, to the point where it says to take the disk out of the tray and reboot. So I do. But then windows comes up, tries to load for about 2 seconds, reboots the system, and does that again and again indefinitely.  I thought I got rid of windows. I didn't want it on this machine. So I'm installing VL again (for the fourth time) with a better understanding of what's coming, so hopefully this time it will work.
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 11:02:20 pm »

So I go through the whole installer, to the point where it says to take the disk out of the tray and reboot. So I do. But then windows comes up, tries to load for about 2 seconds, reboots the system, and does that again and again indefinitely.  I thought I got rid of windows. I didn't want it on this machine. So I'm installing VL again (for the fourth time) with a better understanding of what's coming, so hopefully this time it will work.

Hy,
I assume you did not tell the installer to write the bootmanager to the MBR.
Boot again from the CD.
Go to the point where you are asked if you want to install, to boot an existing system or to re-install Lilo.
Pick the Lilo-option and install it to the MBR (dont worry to much about the bootsplash, just take the proposed option).

Next time you boot you should find the bootsplash offering for the different system on your box.
Should not take more than a few minutes to deal with this matter.
Complete install should not be neccessary.

Rgds,

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 03:49:04 am »

Hello all,
I hope you let me join the round.
I have also a problem installing VL.

The computer is a Dell Laptop Inspiron 2500 with WindowsXP installed.
I resized the hard drive and want to load VL to have a dual boot system.

When I install from CD
the loading procedure stops at the line:

"Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724"

and hangs there for ever. Using the same CD on another computer,
   this line does not appear and the loading proceeds correctly.

I checked/googled and found a overwhelming and confusing amount of information about
Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI)
and I'm sure that I do not need this for this simple machine for basic tasks.
Any help? I'm thankful for each hint, thought or idea.

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
IShookDweeberkittysHand

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »

Now I reinstalled the bootmanager.

And the screen that comes up after the BIOS is "Li 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99" Or something to that effect. Nothing happens after that. *frustrated*
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:24 pm »

Ah lilo gatta love it...so I think you need to reinstall lilo...clear the master boot record or mbr...I do this with a win98 boot disk now and type: fdisk /mbr perhaps there is yet an easier method. just reinstalling lilo is not always effective

then boot the vl cd and choose the reinstall lilo item.  follow the prompts it is very easy..then reboot and all should be well...I do this every time the power goes out on ONE of my boxs...

If you are reinstalling the system then be sure to clear the master boot record first so when you install lilo it is all that is installed to the MBR
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:37:41 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: