VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 05:57:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a VL machine with even less time  (Read 1534 times)
Monty67

« on: April 13, 2008, 05:54:32 pm »

Hello all

I know I know I've been AWOL alot lately. Well I have a very good reason. My wife and I are expecting our second child this Sept so the whole, "getting everything ready" is in full gear.

On the good but not as good as the above news news ( Grin), our tax return will finally get me back into linux land. When I moved into my new house I converted my old VL machine to SMoothwall so that my house would be networked and protected. Well that left me in the land of W2K and XP with things rather unstable in W2K.

So here is the deal. I started looking around to prebuilt systems and was a bit disappointed when I saw what I was getting. Then I saw an (http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200803.ars) article over at ARS and did the math. I could build almost twice the system myself then if I were to buy it prebuilt. My budget is $500 max and here is what I was thinking of.

(Already have a case and pwr supply)

• Asus M2A-VM HDMI Motherboard
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Retail
  • 2GB DDR2-800
  • PNY Geforce 9600GT
  • Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB SATA
  • DVD-RW/CD-RW: Samsung SH-S203B

Which has me right about ~$402.

I'd love nothing more then to see this become my main machine. Web surfing, podcasting, IPTV watching so I want to make sure everything is linux compatible. I am spending alot of time with google trying to find out about any issues with any of these parts but I thought I ask the VL community since I'll be running the latest release. I also have a Dell 22 in widescreen that runs 1680 x 1050 that I want VL to power and take full advantage of.

Thank you for any info you can provide. I.e. swap piece A out for piece B to improve something. 

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:02:35 pm »

I see no reason why there would be a problem with any of that hardware. I assume the audio chip is on the mobo? If so, just check that that is OK with Linux...should be. I have built a few computers and I prefer Asus mobo's myself, so I think that machine will absolutely fly with VL on it!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:53:49 pm »

"Fly"?....
More like "Reaching escape-velocity"...
Better nail that box to the ground to prevent it from launching itself into a crash-course with Pluto.

<Lame sig>
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:16 pm »

"Fly"?....
More like "Reaching escape-velocity"...
Better nail that box to the ground to prevent it from launching itself into a crash-course with Pluto.

I see there is now a better medium for delivering the Golden Record...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:15 pm »

I also have a Dell 22 in widescreen that runs 1680 x 1050 that I want VL to power and take full advantage of.

My screen is that same size and I have an Nvidia card as well. Just choose autodetect when asked for a screen res, and it should work perfectly.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: