Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: xfce4-session crashes on startup  (Read 1794 times)

xfce4-session crashes on startup
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:26 am »

Hi all,

When I try to start xfce4-session the x-server starts and the "mouse" splash image briefly appears followed by the x-server stopping and the system reverting back to text mode.  Originally I had a full graphical login using KDM.  For some reason (which I now know was an upgrade of the QT shared libray) KDM stopped working and threw me back to text mode at boot up.  I could then start the graphical desktop with "startxfce4".  This eventually stopped working (giving the symptoms above) but I could still get xfce working with "startx" without system shutdown capability due to xfce4-session not running.  I've done a lot of experimentation over the last few days and the problem definitely seems to be xfce4-session.  At present I have the following in my ~/.xintrc:

#! /bin/sh

After text mode login I run xinit which runs the above script.  Everything works fine but as expected with no ability to shut down the system from the desktop.  I have version 4.4.0 of xfce installed running on VL5.8 standard.

Has anyone experienced this problem or can give some advice?

VL5.9-STD-GOLD: PIII 1.050GHz 384MB-RAM: 80GB,40GB,6GB HDD