VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 08:00:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Desktop Backgrounds  (Read 2193 times)
johne

« on: April 18, 2008, 12:52:17 pm »

Maybe I am just missing something, but how does one go about changing the desktop wallpaper.  I have used some other distro's in the past and there was a config tool that I could access.

I cannot find it in VL, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, but it doesn't seem straightforward.

Thanks in advance

John
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 01:23:42 pm »

What WM are u using?

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
johne

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:39:03 pm »

I really don't know which windows manager this is running.  It is an off the shelf install of VL 5.9 Lite Beta 2.  When I go into the system info it tells me the desktop environment is unknown and then (Window Manger:JWM)

Is that the info that you needed?

Thanks for helping a complete rookie out

John
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »

yes JWM is a window manager..the alternative is fluxbox which is a choice at login

I just cleared light beta4 so can not test but it is likely similar to standard..there is a system.jwmrc file in /usr/etc in standard. open in a text editer...like aide?. you can scroll down and find:
---------------------------
   <!-- Virtual Desktops -->
   <!-- Desktop tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names. -->
   <Desktops count="2">

<!-- Default background. Note that a Background tag can be
           contained within a Desktop tag to give a specific background
           for that desktop.
       -->
       <Background type="image">/usr/share/wallpapers/VL-rockface.jpg</Background>
 ------------------------------------------     
change the paper here ie /usr/.share/.wallpapers/the one you added as root here.jpg... and save...you need to be root to do this. it is system wide.

.if you want it for just usr copy the rc file to usr and change name to .jwmrc...click panel/hidden files to see hidden files in file manager.. and you need to add count=2 above in both..as user your paper can be in a home folder just add the full path to the rc....hope that helps
cheers

edit: this actually DOES NOT work for vl-light..read on...sorry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:38:10 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 04:45:35 am »

In VL Light, to change wallpaper when using JWM, open the pcmanfm file manager, click edit > preferences > Desktop and use the wallpaper option there.

For Fluxbox, open the file "overlay" in the .fluxbox folder. There are instructions included in the file.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: