VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 10:06:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop clocks  (Read 3249 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: April 19, 2008, 09:09:22 am »

Hi! I'm looking for a desktop clock with a few more options and features than xclock has, at least in analog form. I've tried googling for linux + desktop + clock but all I get are reams of Windows clocks.

Anyone know of any good ones?

Thanks in advance.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 09:31:31 am »

www.freshmeat.net ; type in clock in the search bar. Lots of em' !

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:42:37 am »

If it helps...I really like the XONCLOCK it is an anolog with second hand  and nicer than xclock..it is easy to install with ./configure, make, su to root, make install...just copy the sample rc file to user and rename to .xonclockrc..this will allow you to move it around and change the configuration.

if you need an alarm clock I like the xmms alarm plugin..it allows you to wake with a playlist and has a reminder

I like the daliclock as a digital screensaver clock and it will also open in a window..I had an install error but it seems to function without issue as my root window fuctioning as wallpaper

If you use fluxbox you can add these in a submenu

although I found them by chance they seem to be listed in the above link

cheers
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:45:56 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at these when I'm back in Vector (soon).
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »

I am using rclock since years and found it the best among the lot. Very easily programmable, it tells when there is mail, can give all kind of messages or in my case changes wallpaper every hour:

examples in my .rclock file
11:45; *  */4/*   Pay Pagibig
11:00; xsetroot -solid cadetblue &
12:00; xsetroot -solid turquoise &
12:30;  play ./sound/alarm.wav
12:30 * finish take a rest
17:00 * take the dog out

regards
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:27:12 am »

I am using rclock since years and found it the best among the lot. Very easily programmable, it tells when there is mail, can give all kind of messages or in my case changes wallpaper every hour:

examples in my .rclock file
11:45; *  */4/*   Pay Pagibig
11:00; xsetroot -solid cadetblue &
12:00; xsetroot -solid turquoise &
12:30;  play ./sound/alarm.wav
12:30 * finish take a rest
17:00 * take the dog out

regards

Thanks for the advice. I'm using rclock at the moment.

Xonclock (which I've also used) looks good as well, almost like the clock in Vista (which whatever you might think of it at least looks good IMO).
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:13 am »

opera has LOTS of clock widgets.  An option if you use opera as your browser.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:47:29 am »

Yeah, and Opera 9.5 looks great too.

I've decided that for now the solution that suits me best is to use xclock in digital format with the foreground and background colours chosen in accordance with those on the desktop wallpaper I'm using; I use a desktop colour picking utility called gcolor2 to determine the hexadecimal representation of any colour I'm interested in. For example, White Smoke, a very light grey, is F5F5F5.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: