VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:01:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extended Partition?  (Read 1333 times)
nerdcomic

« on: April 17, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »

When I installed VL, I decided on a dual boot with XP. I am new to VL and wanted to have a backup OS in case I messed up the install.

The install doc said that I needed to create an 'Extended Primary' Partition to house my logical partitions, but it failed to mention how much to allot. To be safe I alloted a gig. Is this too much? Too Little? How much should I allot for this Extended Partition next time I install?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:49:42 pm »

A Gig is way too little. I'd say 3-5, plus another 256-512 MB partition for swap space.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:28:39 pm »

The logical partitions within an extended partition can only together be as large as the extended partition itself. Therefore you do not have enough space to do much at all. VL requires about 3-4 GB minimum for /  (I recommend about 5-6GB so you can add extra programs), suggested 512MB for swap and then you need a good size /home partition to hold all your data (if you collect music, graphics and video then this will have to be 10's of GB's large).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nerdcomic

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:14:48 pm »

... I've eaten my Wheaties, but I'm still confused. My partitions look like this:
(Total Space approx 80 gigs)
Primary (Windows) - 30 gigs
Primary Extended:  1 Gig
Logical Linux (Root) - 5 Gigs
Linux Swap - 500mb
Logical Linux (Home) - 25 Gigs.
Extra - a couple of gigs in case I needed it for something else...

When I read the install doc, I got the impression that the Extended wouldn't really be alloted any space because it would be the total of all the logical partitions. But when I ran fdisk I had to allot it something. I tried alloting 30 gigs, but then I didn't have anything left to allot to the logical partitions. Since I couldn't allot nothing, I went with a gig because I thought it would be safe. Everything installed fine and I got VL up and running. However, I'm not afraid of reinstalling if it will improve my machine.

Would a different partition setup be better?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:56:38 pm »

Here is some reading that will help you understand partitioning.

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4269/1/

Bigpaws
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:50:48 pm »

VL requires about 3-4 GB minimum for /  (I recommend about 5-6GB so you can add extra programs), suggested 512MB for swap and then you need a good size /home partition to hold all your data (if you collect music, graphics and video then this will have to be 10's of GB's large).

You don't *need* a /home partition. It's possible to put everything on /, leaving as you say 512 megs for swap. Of course, if you *prefer* a /home partition, there's nothing wrong with having one. But to say you NEED a /home partition just confuses people.

I never use a /home partition. The trouble with more partitions than you need is that one may get too small and one may be too large. Then you have to decide what to do and maybe even tar up everything so you can repartition the drive (or use something like GParted and hope the lossless resizing evades disaster yet again). The only reason I can think of for having a /home partition is to be able to preserve data and settings if you have to reinstall your system or want to share /home with Linuxes on other partitions (and there are some dangers to that). With the advent of cheap, huge external hard drives, I prefer to create a Linux-formatted partition on the external hard drive and just copy my /home directory to the hard drive. That preserves my data and settings if I have to reinstall. I can even make several copies of /home as backups (generations of backups) just by copying.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:52:38 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 06:57:59 pm »

nerdcomic,

There's something seriously wrong with the terminology. The extended partition *contains* the logical partitions. It is not a partition *in addition to* the logical partitions. So if you REALLY have a 1 gig extended partition, there is no way you can have those root and home and swap and extra partitions in it.

Please su to root in a terminal and run
cfdisk

Do you have just one physical hard drive?

After you run cfdisk, let us know what it tells you about your partitions.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nerdcomic

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:06:38 am »

Can do... cfdisk says this: (only one hard drive)

Hda1   Boot   Primary   NTFS   [^D]            36,701.20MB
Hda2   Boot   Primary   Linux                        1,000.49MB
Hda5              Logical    Linux ReiserFS         5,000.98MB
Hda6              Logical    Linux Swap                 501.75MB
Hda7              Logical    Linux ReiserFS       24,996.63MB
                      Pri/Log     Free Space             11,819.73MB

Okay... now what?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:36:44 am »

Okay, you have an extended partition that is about 42 Gigs. Within that extended partition you have 3 logical volumes and about 11 G free space. You are good to install VL, use hda5 for / hda6 for swap and hda7 for /home.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: