VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 12:01:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: passing wagon  (Read 7740 times)
lighans

www.fali.nl

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:39 am »

Also, <3 Lagnanon - someone who understands the foolishness that is this current utter stupidity of large truck-like vehicles for personal use.  Prestigious?  Idiots don't know the meaning of the word.

I never understood it. I very frequently see SUV's with only the driver and no heavy goods. It would probably be more economical to use a trailer with a compact for the few cases where you had to tow anything large.

Also, SUVs' suspension systems are designed for off-road usage, so it's easier for them to tip over in an urban setting (where they are most frequently used it seems), when turns are often much sharper.
Oh no, SUV are not stupid. They are needed because the person's riding them are so heavy. they wouldn't fit into a small car ........ Wink

And a another thought after reading EFG blog: what if really 3.10^6 people have received this message. How many oil would been used for this mail, which can't be used for the cars?  Grin

My ideally daily transportation is a bike (doing the EFG thing: http://kali.fali.nl, sorry dutch only. The pictures are for every language). Unfortunately I travel by car half of the time. (If there is a big sticker from vectorlinux i stick it on "Kali" right away.

AMD Turion 64, 1Gb RAM, 60Gb (pardus 2008 and VL6.0 STD)
AAO d150 25Gb /,135 Gb mnt/archive, no swap 1024Mb Ram (VL6.0 STD)
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 03:23:58 am »

They can easily fit into a smaller vehicle.  I'm a big guy - just under 2 metres and over 100kg on any given day.  I fit into a little 5 door Astra hatch, very comfortably, and that little thing flies even with my weight (which, given the weight of the vehicle, is significant - it can be 10% or greater of total mass).  So the idea that these morons need a giant SUV to convey their sorry asses around is ridiculous.

It's foolishness, nothing more - ignorance-fuelled foolishness.  The ridiculous notion so prevalant in America that Bigger must be Better.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:27 am »

... So the idea that these morons need a giant SUV to convey their sorry asses around is ridiculous.
It's foolishness, nothing more - ignorance-fuelled foolishness.  The ridiculous notion so prevalant in America that Bigger must be Better.

True. Having lived in both Europe and North America enables one to often see the foibles of "vehicle culture". Here in North America there is also a very prevalent attitude that when it comes to vehicles (probably propagated by the Big 3) that bigger is safer. In some respects this is true, but even an SUV is no match for a tractor trailer (semi, transport vehicle). That is a justification used by many North Americans to buy larger vehicles. Secondly, some North Americans are also under the false impression that if a vehicle has to slip into passing (lower) gear while going up a hill that it is a bit underpowered and that this is even hard on the engine! This is another reason (excuse actually) for their wanting larger engines and/or more horsepower. Such misconceptions abound, but one really wonders if they are just used as excuses for bigger is better, as you say...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 08:32:21 am »

Why certain people buy certain types of cars:

Pic

Some may consider this offensive; it's not a graphic sexual image or shock picture, but if in doubt don't click it.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 10:02:34 am »

Why certain people buy certain types of cars:

Pic

Some may consider this offensive; it's not a graphic sexual image or shock picture, but if in doubt don't click it.

Tom

LOL nice one...

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 11:43:39 am »

car pools suck..I would rather walk if it were possible...a solar car for 2500 would be nice..

Why do car pools suck?
More people get to where they need to be on the same amount of fuel...

I walk to college every day (when the weather is particularly bad I might take public transportation) and cant complain. It costs me nothing to use my legs Smiley

This has probably been mentioned already, but with china and india joining the oil "party", crude prices are probably never going to drop to the very low prices they used to be at.
Oil isnt our birth right...and even if it were, what about future generations?

A book I would recommend for anyone to read is "Limits to Growth - The 30 year Update".
Yeah, its a bit of a dry read but very interesting case study of which direction our civilization may take if we continue to deplete our resources at current rates.

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 11:58:52 am »

Y'know what really <beep> me though?  Seeing these monstrous 4WDs or dual-cab 4WD utes ... with low-profile tyres.  That's right, SUVs and 4WD utes with only a few inches of rubber.  Yeah retard, you're really going to take that thing off road, aren't you?  I suppose that's why the damn thing is still so shiny-clean?

That really is nothing more than <beep>-waving.  Fortunately, the driver counts for more than the car, so I still manage to leave these fools in my dust (of course, to prove their manliness, they then speed to catch up and overtake me.  It doesn't change anything - I was still faster.)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 03:21:06 pm by easuter » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:57 pm »

WARNING:  The above post may contain language offensive to some people.  Grin

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 02:25:47 pm »

Well I need a hummer cause my massive gear wull just not fit in a sub compact...

joking aside I think that a solar car that maxed at 30mph would reduce traffic fatality, insurance rates, gas and pollution, the need for car pools the need FOR  better public transit system, less traffic violations and lets face it as long as we have fast cars that are insured people are going to drive fast far and cause havic. I do not want to walk 20 miles and carry food home but I will take a train to work..hmmm...reminds me of the children of men

interesting
http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/REVA.html

the tango is cool but 108ooo and still in design
http://www.sunvee.com/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 04:07:27 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

I do not believe in spanking. It's using pain to control behavior. Once we justify using pain that way, we're on a dangerous slippery slope that can wind up in using torture "for good purposes."

NOTHING has shaken me personally so much as the Bush administration's use of torture techniques in interrogations of suspected terrorists. I'm not saying spanking is torture. I even spanked my own children a few times--though that was because of my own frustration and human weakness and I regret that I did. But once we say it's okay to use pain to control behavior, we're saying that in certain cases, causing pain is okay. It then becomes a matter of determining what those cases are.

I'm all in favor of raising well behaved children. It's not necessary to use spanking to achieve that goal.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:12 pm »

well a game of chess may prove more entertaining for two leaders than the  killing of there slaves in war but it does not help control population or stimulate the economy. a spank on the bottom of a misbehaveing child should not be in frustration but simple a means of getting there full attention so conversation may have some function.it is not painfull or tortureous and is quickly forgotten if some grace is given.. naturally many disagree and think that a time out is actually going to serve some purpose other than giving the parent a chance to calm down. I find littering the side of the road with plastic flowers and crosses as disturbing when most do not even know the victim but want free council and to shed a few tears in public. the demented functions of a few should not spoil what value our soldiers and leaders have given,.they do as told and those who do of desire should be recognized
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:29:48 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 06:18:41 am »

a spank on the bottom of a misbehaveing child should not be in frustration but simple a means of getting there full attention so conversation may have some function.it is not painfull or tortureous and is quickly forgotten if some grace is given..

I pretty much agree. Vicious words have had far more damage on me than whatever mild slaps on the rear my parents gave me. Besides, that happened when I was very young anyway. Anyway, if you have to use it, the hand is sufficient and it should only be on the rear (not the head of course).

I'm all in favor of raising well behaved children. It's not necessary to use spanking to achieve that goal.
--GrannyGeek

Swedes are usually fairly pleasant.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:34:23 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2008, 01:46:07 pm »

He'd tell me to go cut a switch from the willow tree, and I would bring back a wimpy little thing.  Dad would make me get a bigger one.  By the time all this was done, he had calmed down quite a bit.  Still hurt.  I quit stealing his cigars, likely a good thing for a 10 year old.

In Nevada today, you need a car.  Used to have rails and all that, but they took most of them out. Too many Nevadans waste a good part of their lives sitting behind a wheel doing 80 mph.  In the days of the train, at least you could read or something.  Comforting that China is stupid enough to follow in our footsteps here, but too bad for the Chinese. And for those of us too lazy to make our own diesel fuel.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: