VectorLinux
July 27, 2014, 08:04:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: passing wagon  (Read 7505 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:49 am »

so is this wagon worth jumping on..it is truer that the people have control, but will they use it? being a cow is just such an easy road.

Worth the read

LET'S  JUST DO IT ok ! ! !

THIS  IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU  HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $.90 PER  Litre....hopefully

This  was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of  his engineer buddies who retired from Hallibur ton. If you are  tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to  rise this summer, take time to read this  PLEASE.

Phillip  Hollsworth offered this good  idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the  'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going  around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join  the resistance!!!!

I  hear we are going to hit close to $ 2.00 a  litreby  next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to  come down?

We  need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil  companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't  continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy  gas.

It  was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for  them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea,  has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on  and join with us!

By  now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.00 is  super cheap. Me too! It is currently  $1.17 for  regular unleaded in my town.

Now  that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned  us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at  $1.14,  we need to take aggressive action  to teach  them that BUYERS control the  marketplace...not  sellers.

With  the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers  need to take action.

The  only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if  we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting  ourselves.

How?  Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying  gas.

But  we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all a ct together to  force a price war.

Here's  the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY  gasoline from the two biggest  companies,
ESSO and Shell.

If  they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce  their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies  will have to follow suit.

But  to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso  and Shell gas  buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at  this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to  reach millions of people!!

I  am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us s end it to  at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to  at least ten more (300 x 10  = 3,000)...and  so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of  people, we will have reached over  THREE MILLION consumers. If  those three million get excited and pass this on to ten  friends each, then 30 million people will have been  contacted!

If  it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED  MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again,  all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's  all!

(If  you d on't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you  have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it,  you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on  this one.

How  long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out  to ten more people within one day of receipt, all in. I  suggest that we not buy fromEsso  and Shell UNTIL 300  MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next  8 days!!!

I'll  bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did  you!
Acting together we can make a  difference.

If  this makes sense to you, please pass this message o THEY LOWER  THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS  CAN REALLY WORK.

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 11:37:54 am »

It is interesting.
All that big buissnesses who speculate on gas prises make tons of money while we have to pay more...
I will pass this around (at least I will try)
But it also could be a way to make cows of us even more if this is launched by some other oil company in order to attract costumers.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:46:19 am by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:06:44 pm »

I think the original post is highly flawed. It seems whoever wrote it does not understand the reality of basic economics in the free world. We learn in Grade 10 that when supply is low and demand is high for any commodity the price will rise, and vice versa. Crude oil is in limited supply, made recently more limited by production problems in Russia as well as former Soviet Republics. At the same time the world economy is hot, with India and China's demand for crude skyrocketing. This drives up the price of crude (now $115/bbl) which causes your price at the gas pump to go up. End of story. That's life. Get used to it because I don't think crude prices go lower unless we have a major world economic slowdown.

It is also flawed because petrol demand will simply shift to companies other than Esso and Shell, as that demand increases those companies will have to raise their prices, so Esso and Shell prices will appear a good deal and people will start buying at those two companiesr again, thus stabilizing the price to the normal supply-demand equation.

Welcome to capitalism....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 12:11:44 pm »

Af far as I know despite oil price is rising, gas company are making tons of money rising gas prices even higher. The cost of gas production couldn't be $4.50 per galon.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:49:44 pm »

The cost of gas production couldn't be $4.50 per galon.

I have no idea what the breakdown is in the USA but here in Canada these are the costs of gas broken down:

47% crude costs
35% taxes
16% refining and marketing costs
2%   profit

You have lower taxes if you live in the USA (being as you quoted $4.50/gallon I assume you do), but nonetheless the profit to oil companies is not outrageous. It really is the cost of crude and taxes that drive up the price, not oil company greed.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:19:15 pm »

People shouldn't travel in big heavy cars, with one person in each.

The oil supply is not unlimited, but it's uses are. Yet we mostly burn it. The only way to keep people from burning it all is by increasing it's price to ridiculous heights, and even then people don't change their ways, instead they complain and keep paying (note: I'm not saying oil prices are high to protect us from ourselves now.)

We all have a responsibility too look after this planet. Our children, their children and all generations after that will also need products made from oil. Like medicines, or plastics. But most of all they'll need a good planet to live on, a healthy one that hasn't been polluted to a point where no polar icecaps can exist anymore, one without mile after mile after mile of gas-guzzling vehicles.

Buying gas at a different gas station won't make a bit of difference in the gas price. If you want to save money, start carpooling. Sure, you have to share a car with other people. Is that so bad? Each car that doesn't drive doesn't use gas, doesn't pollute and doesn't cause traffic jams. Also, there are very few people who really need SUV's or other huge, heavy abominations with ridiculously large engines and crappy aerodynamics.

Of course, it would be even better if you could use the bike or public transport.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:12:15 pm »

People shouldn't travel in big heavy cars, with one person in each.

Ya my thunderbird with 5.0 litre fuel injected throttle body and rear wheel drive can burn half a tank just for stop. (spin tires on pavement). It has been parked so long the brakes need doing..I can not afford it any more
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 02:13:57 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 03:08:57 pm »

The oil supply is not unlimited, but it's uses are. Yet we mostly burn it. The only way to keep people from burning it all is by increasing it's price to ridiculous heights, and even then people don't change their ways, instead they complain and keep paying (note: I'm not saying oil prices are high to protect us from ourselves now.) 

In the city of Atlanta alone, the sum of daily commutes is 115.6 million miles (as of 2001 actually) and projected to grow to 158 million by 2025.

That's the distance to the Sun and part way back EVERY DAY. Disregard the environmental effects for a moment (they're 'controversial') and let's focus on the fact that we simply don't have enough oil to sustain that kind of demand worldwide.

How can anyone defend this inefficiency with a straight face?

(If  you d on't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you  have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it,  you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on  this one.

The author of the chain letter (who probably wasn't a Coke executive) is very condescending. He assumes everyone doesn't understand simple geometric growth. And, of course, if someone fails to transmit the message, that summation doesn't hold.

No respectable mathematician would offer such a claim without proof or at least demonstration. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:12:52 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 06:51:02 pm »

EFG:  I say let's get the people in Atlanta to not drive for two days, and use the gasoline to send somebody to the Sun and back.  It would be a tremendous achievement for any space program.  The key is we have to send the person at night.

On a serious note, we need to focus on developing renewable energy sources.  I'm actually very intrigued by what's going on with one particular company; if their technology pans out, we could be looking at a near future with far less dependence on fossil fuels.

Have a look:

http://www.nanosolar.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanosolar

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 07:26:21 pm »

May be this is stupid... I walk 10 blocks to the train station with Vanesa every day to go to work, and almost the same going back Tongue. I enjoy it. Some days I make a stop on the bar and I have a drink with some old people who hang there 4 hours per day. Of course, bullshit is the national hobby so we talk about Peron, soccer, maths, philosophy, and gambling Smiley
The fuel spent by the train is absurd if you divide it by the passengers bla bla bla. On a side note, I enjoy this trivial daily routine.  I would like to have a car but just to take a small city tour on Sundays. So, healthy walk + 10' train trip + bar with old people vs car + pollution + fighting with other drivers + insane traffic noise level. It is an easy choice to me.

I don't know who is guilty of oil prices. But the problem would be more the prices of transport of goods than the fuel of your car.
I would like to point the distinction between oil producers and fuel companies and consumers is getting blurry in the present economy. The guy from the next door could have Shell stock, and probably Esso stock as well, and some stock of an enterprise making electricity from soya to reduce the risk of having Shell and Esso stock Tongue

Sure, you have to share a car with other people. Is that so bad?

For some reason, people do a lot of things daily just to avoid other persons. The level of paranoia is really high. Looks like in the modern imaginary any strange is a potentially murder, ripper or whatever. We will have to fight this tendency.
Welcome to capitalism Tongue

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 09:53:44 pm »

On a serious note, we need to focus on developing renewable energy sources.  I'm actually very intrigued by what's going on with one particular company; if their technology pans out, we could be looking at a near future with far less dependence on fossil fuels.

That means no one will adapt it.

For some reason, people do a lot of things daily just to avoid other persons. The level of paranoia is really high. Looks like in the modern perspective, any stranger is a potential murderer, rapist (?) or whatever.

I don't blame 'em.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:13:27 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 03:44:18 am »

I wonder if a nano panel would power this oled tv up..and I thought my shake lite and crank radio were cool

http://www.physorg.com/news118937494.html

http://dvice.com/archives/2007/05/sony_shows_off_flexible_fullco.php

but back to the road ..Could  all the body panels be nanosolar type?

http://solveclimate.com/blog/20080409/deutsche-bank-electric-cars-could-wipe-gas-cars-map

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/general-motors/gm-electric-car-to-arrive-in-2010/

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/nissan-unveil-electric-vehicles-us/story.aspx?guid=%7BE465BE2A-7B4E-4913-9A4C-182FA81AC381%7D

http://www.tfot.info/news/1096/israel-first-country-to-welcome-electric-cars.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:30:48 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 08:00:19 am »

...and since I am desperately trying to attract readers to my crappy blog

http://eabcaecbbceacbae.blogspot.com/2008/04/ridiculous-chain-letter.html

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 08:15:01 am »

EFG:  Interesting piece on the chain letter.  So ... somebody did see it.

overthere:  Regarding the nano panels on cars, from what I can tell it at least seems possible.  Some of the stuff I've been reading about Nanosolar (the company) seems to indicate that their photovoltaic material could be used in all kinds of things, including paint, a transparent film put on windows ... I suppose there are lots of possibilities.  It could all be hype.  The engineering problems (and economies of scale) could make this one of those things that's always somewhere in the indefinite future, sort of like fusion power has been at least so far.  I suppose we'll see.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 08:32:57 am »

I know what is true: the newer solar cells require much less silicon to operate, are flexible rather than brittle  and require IIRC ~15% sun exposure to operate. Older panels required very direct, unclouded sunlight. Regardless what else they can be used for, that makes them a already lot more viable. I've seen demonstrations and I'm sure you all know how well I can smell BS...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: