VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 01:59:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: passing wagon  (Read 7931 times)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 09:10:10 am »

For some reason, people do a lot of things daily just to avoid other persons. The level of paranoia is really high. Looks like in the modern imaginary any strange is a potentially murder, ripper or whatever.
I don't believe people are actually that scared in general. I'm pretty sure most of it is not willing to give up the "freedom" that traveling alone is supposed to give. The freedom to let your farts fly without anyone noticing, listen to really crappy music without people begging you to turn it off, that sort of stuff.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 09:59:20 am »

The freedom to let your farts fly without anyone noticing, listen to really crappy music without people begging you to turn it off, that sort of stuff.

*pfffffft*

*jun! jun! jun! jun! jun jun! jun! jun! jun! jun!*

...time melts away in this living inferno, trapped by a cause that I once understood...feeling a sickness building inside of me, who will I really have to answer to?

Say what?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 11:38:08 am »

As I was reading the chain letter I was wondering if at the end I would find that if I sent it to 10 people in 10 minutes good fortune would come to me and if I did not a dark angel would shadow me for two days and then crap on my shoulder

Batteries are improveing aswell as the panels but cost is still high for the gains I feel..

car pools suck..I would rather walk if it were possible...a solar car for 2500 would be nice..

I think people are afraid on some level and need personal space but cannot always find it. I see parents sometimes forceing the crying child away from play to take them to there lecture in quantim physics or bubble wrapping them into a van to go to ball practice..why not let the kid play and be creative and discover the world on their terms.. it mayoffer  a few moments of personal space for one self. and save some gas at the same time
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:41:00 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 12:26:57 pm »

As I was reading the chain letter I was wondering if at the end I would find that if I sent it to 10 people in 10 minutes good fortune would come to me and if I did not a dark angel would shadow me for two days and then crap on my shoulder

lol

I think people are afraid on some level and need personal space but cannot always find it. I see parents sometimes forceing the crying child away from play to take them to there lecture in quantum physics

wow, I wish my parents did that

why not let the kid play and be creative and discover the world on their terms.. it mayoffer  a few moments of personal space for one self. and save some gas at the same time

agreed

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 05:19:29 pm »

I don't believe people are actually that scared in general. I'm pretty sure most of it is not willing to give up the "freedom" that traveling alone is supposed to give. The freedom to let your farts fly without anyone noticing, listen to really crappy music without people begging you to turn it off, that sort of stuff.

There's also the problem that if the car poolers take turns driving, some of them may be really bad drivers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 05:32:41 pm »

There's also the problem that if the car poolers take turns driving, some of them may be really bad drivers.

or always late, stinking of beer and smoking...not a brand.. and take you as far as the girlybar..and when you get there all you want to do is buy some munchies and call in sick

wow, I wish my parents did that

well my sister does that. but I have a different approach: spankum for stuffing a peanutbutter jelly sandwich in the vcr....with a stick.. and kick them outside and collect them later with "suppers ready" they have usually forgotten all about it,or maby they are just hungry....actually I think the stick was to get it out..I did not ask

maby I can build my own solar car..what? 5000 and no panels and batteries...and I have to add the alternator to charge an emergency battery myself...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/19/build-your-own-street-legal-solar-powered-electric-car/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:37:06 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but the chain letter which started this thread is on Snopes (and has been around for a while):

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:21 pm »

I found it in my mail...once you are in the addybooks...price is high and alternative dialog is perhaps of some value.

Everything Is Relative
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:51:15 am »

I found it in my mail...once you are in the addybooks...

Yeah, I know.  I imagine that's why I keep getting spam for c`1ali.s and h3r.b3l V1a.gr4.  I can't imagine they would have any way of knowing about my ... *sob* ... problem.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:15 am »

well I use the free webmail services but I do not think paying for it reduces junk mails...maby I am wrong..I am as use to it as high gas prices

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:56 am »

I found it in my mail...once you are in the addybooks...

Yeah, I know.  I imagine that's why I keep getting spam for c`1ali.s and h3r.b3l V1a.gr4.  I can't imagine they would have any way of knowing about my ... *sob* ... problem.

Today I got a fake IRS refund letter apparently designed to function in LookOut! Express and phish me or something. First thing I thought was, "OH SHI, my income was figured into taxes, but we didn't send my employer form!" then "Wait, how the hell do they know my e-mail?" and next was "Dammit this is spam!"

I was actually very relieved.

well my sister does that. but I have a different approach: spankum for stuffing a peanutbutter jelly sandwich in the vcr....with a stick.. and kick them outside and collect them later with "suppers ready" they have usually forgotten all about it,or maby they are just hungry....actually I think the stick was to get it out..I did not ask

Hm, when I have kids I won't take s— BUT I won't hit them either. I can be very stern sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:31:32 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 11:53:38 am »

EFG:  Interesting piece on the chain letter.  So ... somebody did see it.

overthere:  Regarding the nano panels on cars, from what I can tell it at least seems possible.  Some of the stuff I've been reading about Nanosolar (the company) seems to indicate that their photovoltaic material could be used in all kinds of things, including paint, a transparent film put on windows ... I suppose there are lots of possibilities.  It could all be hype.  The engineering problems (and economies of scale) could make this one of those things that's always somewhere in the indefinite future, sort of like fusion power has been at least so far.  I suppose we'll see.

Tom

My boss at BioAust mentioned that - simply mixing nanotubes into the solar-panel itself was enough to grant considerable efficiency increases.  Combine that with what can essentially be called a solar-panel paint, and any flat surface conceivably becomes an energy collector.

Of course, I'd rather utilise our giant nuclear fusion furnace another way - concentrated solar plants.  Y'know, using stirling-cycle engines.

Also, <3 Lagnanon - someone who understands the foolishness that is this current utter stupidity of large truck-like vehicles for personal use.  Prestigious?  Idiots don't know the meaning of the word.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:06 pm »

Hm, when I have kids I won't take s— BUT I won't hit them either. I can be very stern sometimes.

I would not want to send the wrong impression,I do not condon the beating of children, espesially if you are not in a normal or calmer state. however kids are in a different world mentally and sometimes the only means of wakeing them to the world around them is a spank on the bottom..this is not harmfull.and a "time out" is only going to calm you down. this is often a misunderstood practice as it is the parent in the mall, with the balling brat, screaming at their child to stop "it", and hitting at them that usually comes to mind.

Combine that with what can essentially be called a solar-panel paint,

Oh.. ya.. I forgot about the solar paint

will be nic to see some action in this regard..study and concept cars are getting old..like 1960's

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 06:11:04 pm »

Also, <3 Lagnanon - someone who understands the foolishness that is this current utter stupidity of large truck-like vehicles for personal use.  Prestigious?  Idiots don't know the meaning of the word.

I never understood it. I very frequently see SUV's with only the driver and no heavy goods. It would probably be more economical to use a trailer with a compact for the few cases where you had to tow anything large.

Also, SUVs' suspension systems are designed for off-road usage, so it's easier for them to tip over in an urban setting (where they are most frequently used it seems), when turns are often much sharper.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »

ya they are mostly crap..if you try to jump a ditch with them they either lay broken on the other side or face down in the ditch....rent one and try it...

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: