VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 06:33:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuxcards  (Read 1207 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: April 22, 2008, 07:28:20 am »

I find myself using Tuxcards more and more.  I have one major area organized by subject and the other organized by day.  The day organizer works a bit like a calendar, and I am starting to check it daily along with my regular calendar (still dBase on foxpro 2.6 via dosemu).  I'm curious as to how others use Tuxcards and for what purpose. 

A now-deceased friend of mine used to keep a gadget on his desk which was a long roll of paper with a window on which he could write notes, phone numbers etc.  When the window filled, he would roll it forward, and take notes on the new white space.  Every 6 months or so he would complete a roll, date and store the old one, put in a new roll and continue.  He had a record that way of just about everything he ever did.  Tuxcards reminds me of that.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »

I would like one of those rolling gadgets..I use scrap paper and a hockey puck to hold them.

.I remember the first insta bank I used had a similar roller under glass and pressing the side buttons made it spin to the next message on the spool..I seem to have less money now that everything is disposable and digital..ah the good old days.

..I never type the stuff I write on the notes in the computer..I can just look at the paper but the computer requires me to open the program then the note and scroll for the item...oh I need to get milk...I could allready have it by looking down...

I do seem to like the medit multitabs, that opens the previous open docs..one click away makes it a hopefull

I must look at tuxcards..cheers

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 03:09:49 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:32:15 pm »

My life might fall apart without Tuxcards.<g>

I have several files with information. One is a collection of URLs for sites on various topics. It's handier than bookmarks because I don't have to be in a specific browser, it's better organized, and I can include more information. Another is my treasured computer tips file. I copy and paste valuable how-to and other information on Linux, Windows, and computers in general. I have a recipes-to-try cardfile. I have one of information on a particular topic of interest and a cardfile for Odds and Ends.

Tuxcards is a very nice program that you can adapt to many uses.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:14 pm »

A now-deceased friend of mine used to keep a gadget on his desk which was a long roll of paper with a window on which he could write notes, phone numbers etc.  When the window filled, he would roll it forward, and take notes on the new white space.  Every 6 months or so he would complete a roll, date and store the old one, put in a new roll and continue.  He had a record that way of just about everything he ever did.  Tuxcards reminds me of that.

This may be surprising, but I am just about as old-fashioned. Paper has several advantages:

• It doesn't require electricity
  • It can't crash (although it can burn)
  • It's really inexpensive

But the greatest advantage of paper is that, with my hand, a pencil and a notebook, I can not only write word processor documents but also spreadsheets, vector images and graphs (in any sense of the word). All of them are of crappy quality, but pretty much legible and convenient. At my place, paper even supports a growing collection of algorithms, although they run very slowly.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 05:25:54 pm »

I've never used tuxcards although references by others (esp. GrannyGeek) and now this thread have induced me to load it. I immediately recognized it as similar to PhatNotes (by PhatWare) that I've used for several years with various HPC/PPCs under Windows. Indeed a very useful utility.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: