VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:01:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Aircrack-ng  (Read 3381 times)
burton247

« on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:46 pm »

Are the only package sources for vector the ones given or are there any unofficial with programs such as aircrack or kismet. Having trouble installing them from source and it always gives me a headache trying Sad

Also looking for gdesklets/adesklets

Nice distro and i know its designed to be lightweight but i still miss my old apps Sad

Anyone know of any other sources?
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:35 pm »

Hi burton247,

After vl-cli, rbistolfi, mutencillo and I are starting to package some apps for vl repos related to network auditory:

We have some apps in mind, like:

Kismet
tcpdump
aircrack-ng
airodump-ng
netcat
ethereal

We are just starting with those, so we don't have packages ready yet, but hopefully they will be in the repos in some time.

Hint:  for most network apps, libpcap is needed, so maybe compiling and installing it first will do the job.

If you try it and you manage to compile any of those, please post back and tell us how you did it.

If you would like to contribute with packages for vl repos, PM me and I'll explain how could you help us.

Welcome to Vectorlinux btw.

burton247

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:33:31 pm »

oh right ill give install what you said and have another go at kismet, ive got it working on other distros from source. But aircrack-ng never, im unsure if im downloading the correct source, theres no config file but there is a makefile but it doesnt work for me :S i would help if i could but my knowledge is pretty limited Sad

Edit tcpdump is installable from slackwares packages sources
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:36:08 pm by burton247 » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:34:17 pm »

Hi burton247! Welcome to VectorLinux.

To add something to kidd's post, any slack source *should* work in VL. We often use packages from slacky.eu and linuxpackages.net
Also, while compiling in vl is a good idea to take a look at the slackware build scripts at slackbuild.org, slacky.eu host sources and slackbuilds as well.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
burton247

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 10:13:53 am »

I wonder if you can help me. I can run aircrack on vector using a slack package. But it isnt installed. I dled it from http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.0/system/aircrack-ng/1.0beta2/ (first package)
so i can cd to the extracted dir and run the apps.. But to do so i must us terminal line ./aircrack-ng or ./airodump-ng

Can i actually install from the given package so terminal understands the commands aircrack-ng and such, just as it would if it is installed properly. Trying to do it this way cause im having trouble installing from source.

Any help appreciated
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:32:56 pm »

Navigate to the locations where you downloaded the package and install it with installpkg aircrack-ng-1.0beta2-i686-1dd.tgz as root. If you are using 5.9, there is a custom action in thunar to install package to, right click allows to use it.
You can install .tlz and .tgz packages in this way.

HTH, post back here if you find some troubles.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Thor

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55:36 am »

Hi burton247,

After vl-cli, rbistolfi, mutencillo and I are starting to package some apps for vl repos related to network auditory:

We have some apps in mind, like:

Kismet
tcpdump
aircrack-ng
airodump-ng
netcat
ethereal

We are just starting with those, so we don't have packages ready yet, but hopefully they will be in the repos in some time.

Hint:  for most network apps, libpcap is needed, so maybe compiling and installing it first will do the job.

If you try it and you manage to compile any of those, please post back and tell us how you did it.

If you would like to contribute with packages for vl repos, PM me and I'll explain how could you help us.

Welcome to Vectorlinux btw.

There is little to it.

The trick is to remember building shared libaries for libpcap (it does not by default). Then add libnet for ettercap + enable-plugins. Kismet is easy to compile, but the work is on the conffile. Also best if some script, a la "start-kismet" from BT , is made to get the needed parameters to launch it (Needs the driver and modulename or so). Been a while though since I did these apps, so things may have changed (apart from Wireshark, which I did recently and was a strait job as always).
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:52:51 am »

Thanks Thor for your hints!

I had some problems compiling some of theese apps and/or configuring... I'll give it another chance later...

Just out of curiosity: Thor , are you somewhat related to www.wadalbertia.org?

Btw, welcome to vector linux.

Thor

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:14 pm »

Thanks Thor for your hints!

I had some problems compiling some of theese apps and/or configuring... I'll give it another chance later...
I dont think I needed to patch any of those. Probably be another experience on your next try.

Just out of curiosity: Thor , are you somewhat related to www.wadalbertia.org?

Btw, welcome to vector linux.

Ty kidd.

Yo, soy noruego. No se nada de este sitio mentinado, aparte de un sobrino o sobrina inglesa de ese  ;-).
Really, it is the first time (I think) I visit that site you mentioned. There is a wifi-slax/BT2-derivative in spanish, that I have visited a few times via some links Teo from a distro named Galinux, sent me. Apart from that distro and the site you mention could be closer related, no bells ring at all.

Vector used to be my primer distro. I still have a version on my livesystems-lilo-list (mostly Slax since Tomas restructured it and included the develop and kernelsource module as default). Apart from being the sexiest distro out here :p, it is also extremely functional (not just fashion) and recommendable to all. Arguebly the highest scorer on the speed and newcomer friendliness relation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: