VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 03:41:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing on Sony vaio C1VE  (Read 1805 times)
beeky

« on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:31 am »

Hi all,

I'm completely new to linux having been immersed in windows for the last 15 years. I've built PCs and installed MS OSs a few times before, but like I said linux is a complete alien concept to me. Anyway, on with the question....

I have a Sony vaio C1VE notebook which if you're not familiar with is a little beasty only having an (approx) 8" screen, integral camera and jogdial. It came new with Windows ME installed and I'm currently running XP on it. As you can imagine it's slow, so I thought I'd try out linux. There are reports of linux being installed on it, mostly Debian, but I wanted to try VL as it seems to be built for speed.

The question is, can anyone foresee a problem installing on this? I currently have a USB Buffalo airstation wireless adaptor in it. Will there be a problem getting this to work? The vaio is only USB1.0 compatible.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.
Cheers,
Graham
computard

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:15 pm »

read 740 times, relied to once. Really had to fight the urge to reply with "First!!!", lol
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 03:30:39 am »

You could try the live CD first to see how well your system handles the OS. If all goes well with that, VL Light or Standard would most likely work.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:18:44 am »

I would try Light due to the older processor and max RAM limitations in the C1VE.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: