VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:19:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost Weaned  (Read 9047 times)
jimwill

« on: May 02, 2008, 04:59:47 am »

I've almost weaned myself from WinXp. However there are still a few issues that I need help with. I've managed to get internet explorer and MSMoney2002 to work fine (couldn't get kmymoney to run!), and also installed irfanview using wine.

Using 5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07, on an older 450 mhz desktop.

1) k3b - I burn audio files to cdrw to listen to at work and k3b will sometimes burn at less than 1x, altho it recognizes the cdrw as 4x. I have aborted the burn, restarted the computer and still have the same thing. The next time I use that same disk it will burn at 4x! I have changed the k3b temp directory away from /tmp, hoping that would help, but it has not done so. Any suggestions?

2) Lexmark 1185 - the printer works great, but the scanner has not!
I've installed sane-backends-1.0.19, and sane shows the lexmark scanner. But, when I try to scan all that happens is that the scanner seems to do a long reset (as though it were moving the scan head to the end and back), but the scan light does not come on. After this xsane locks up and I have to kill it! This also happens when ran from the command line, and the only thing it shows is a seg fault, which I think is due to using ctrl-c to break out of the program. The only thing I can see that may be a problem is that this older computer does not have or support usb 2.0. Anything else I can try?

3) Not a big issue now, but sometimes when I am using kmenu when I get to the 'System' selection the screen resets and the taskbar goes away. Found that I should be able to run kicker to get it back, but IMO it should not be happening!

Anything I can do, other than get a faster computer? If I can resolve these issues I'll probably seldom start winxp again!
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:35:26 am »

Hi jimwill

It will not take long to stop useing xp once you find the groove..I like opera browser on a slower machine as it is quicker than firefox and has features IE does not have plus it helps wean off wine...gqview with imagemagick set as editor will offer as much as irfanview in general functionality..like set wallpaper, full screen slide show is better I think. but I did the same thing at first.

450 mhz..is that a p2? how much ram?...you may find switching to fluxbox better but if you are more comfortable with the start button maybe xfce or even JWM is better window manager for now.

can you increase ram...I had issue with k3b on 333 mhz with 128ram...but that's just newbie me...I moved up to a p3 600 with 256 and get really good results..on the p3 650 with 384 I can watch dvd and burn cd/dvd..not saying your machine is not suitable but you will have to tone down for best results.  moveing temp may be worth while..I found that free space helps a little when I am burning cd/dvd

hope that helps some

cheers
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:45:44 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
jimwill

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:33:54 am »

Thank you overthere!

This is a p3 with 256M memory. I installed IE6 due to those websites that don't realize things like FireFox exists! Many of the news websites will only work with IE, as far as I've found, although I haven't tried opera on them. I also haven't tried gqview, have to give it a shot! I seldom use a program for setting wallpaper, I prefer to select that myself, which is why I use kde, I can have a different wallpaper on each desktop. I also like irfanview's ability to generate an html of thumbnails.
Since I'm on the end of my adsl line I think that slows me down on the net more than the computer does! Cheesy

If any mods/admins are reading this, I tried to get my password to reset via email. About 6 or 7 times and never got an email! Finally went back to WinXp and looked in FireFox to find what my password was, so no problem now, but someone else may find the same problem!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 12:31:47 pm »

I installed IE6 due to those websites that don't realize things like FireFox exists!

Did you try the "User Agent Switcher" for Firefox? It will mimic any browser (including IE) and often works with those horrible, poorly written websites. It would be much better for you than running IE6 under Wine.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:10 pm »

Does the burner speed drop and stick or fail..some burners will vary speed during a burn , k3b should work on your spec as far as I know..I have p3 600 w/256.. similar
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:11:29 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
jimwill

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 03:37:33 pm »

lagagnon: Nope - haven't heard of it or tried it. I'll look around and give it a try. Thanks!

overthere:
Burner speed drops and stays - it does not fail, the cd is still readable, just takes longer to burn than listen to! Cheesy
I have seen speeds of .1X (that's 1/10 X) during the burn processes. I would suspect the cdrw, except that the next day I can erase and reburn it with no problems!

Also, I tried Opera at the one news site I go to. After 5 minutes, with it still loading, I killed it! Sad In case you want to try it, it is www.kfor.com channel 4 out of Oklahoma City.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:38 pm »

Well, I'm watching Meg Alexander right now with Opera (strong winds in Edmond, tornados near me in Tulsa, etc.). Perhaps it's the machine (my specs are below).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »

Well...a lot boils down to personal choice..I tend to not visit unfriendly pages..there is nothing that important on the net for me that can not be found on some other page..and I feel opera is a better choice on slower machines, but that is just my novice opinion..so can not help much there....

Is the burner a lite-on by any chance..or usb add on...another poster mentenioned slow dvd burns on a liteon, and I had a issue with my liteon cd burner..just a thought...my LG and pioneer dvd's seem to work fine with maxell cd-rw as do the generic cd burners...not sure what the brand is but they are older and I usually burn at low speeds for iso's anyway

a lot of people dual boot xp and linux for various reasons...I can see it haveing value for you but I have not done that myself and find vector supplies all I actually need on this machine..

hope you find some comfortable compromise

k4.com...kool....A new $30 million forensic science center for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation has officially opened, with officials touting it as one of the nation's best.      comming this fall..CSI OKLAHOMA...
cheers
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 05:37:42 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
jimwill

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 07:38:49 am »

overthere - don't get me wrong, I was not complaining about Opera, I'm glad you pointed out that it has advantages over firefox and I'll probably use it sometimes! I'm glad of anything that you can give me to help the transition! Cheesy
The burner I am using is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A. I have heard complaints about the Sony's, but can't recall what they were!

mikecindi - It could be my machine, or my isp, which is my telephone company. Out here in the boonies I have the great choice of that phone company/isp or none! SWB does not cover my area, many cell phones will not work here. So, I live with what I have! Better than nothing (though sometimes only barely!)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 08:24:38 am »

mikecindi - It could be my machine, or my isp, which is my telephone company. Out here in the boonies I have the great choice of that phone company/isp or none! SWB does not cover my area, many cell phones will not work here. So, I live with what I have! Better than nothing (though sometimes only barely!)
I know/feel your pain... Wink

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:14:29 am »

Oh..you have dial-up? no shame in that..I have it on this box and do not frequent my local news web site as the page takes to long to load, I can wait for it as I waited to load kfor (3mins). does not matter what browser you use for that, it is the download speed and content. thus the popularity of high speed. but if the satilite is down you have to use it anyway and when the power is out the phone line still works so it has its function. I thought the page was loading quickly for you on win IE.

the sony drives in my newbie opinion are similar to the liteon drives..not sure drivers or firmware can help but you may try some different cdrw..if you use cd+rw then try a cd-rw..I use cd-r and -rw perhaps someone else may shed light...on linux I have the burners as secondary master on win I often had cd as primary slave..just a thought

scanners can be an issue with linux in general, like some drives..it is not a linux issue as much as a hardware manufactureing issue..it may take some effort..I have not got to that and still use a common bubble jet I found at a yard sale for a buck. it prints well and does photos best it can

sorry I can not be better help
cheers

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 06:19:24 pm »

if you use cd+rw then try a cd-rw..I use cd-r and -rw perhaps someone else may shed light...

You're confusing CD-RW with DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. There's no such thing as CD+RW. It's either CD-R for one use or CD-RW for burn, erase, and reuse. CD-RW is not worth getting now, in my opinion. CD-R disks are very inexpensive, especially if you get them on sale, and CD-RW disks are more expensive. CD-RW's recording speeds are considerably slower than CD-R speeds.  CD-RW disks are harder for some older drives to read. I have some very old CD-RW disks I got back in 2000 or 2001, when I got my first CD burner. I use them occasionally for things I know I'll use only temporarily. After that I erase them and use them again.

A couple in my original and only batch have gone bad and can't be written to any longer. I threw those away. I won't be replacing them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 06:47:19 pm »

I'm sorry..yes I use dvd-r/-rw not dvd+r/rw and cd-r/-rw.. the idea was to try some other disks as test..if some cd-r works better than some -rw some light has been shed perhaps. I suspect the drive and not k3b or vector. I appologize for poor quality posting and any misinformation or misleading. sorry
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Atticmonkey

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:51:29 pm »

Is the burner a lite-on by any chance..or usb add on...another poster mentenioned slow dvd burns on a liteon, and I had a issue with my liteon cd burner..just a thought...my LG and pioneer dvd's seem to work fine with maxell cd-rw as do the generic cd burners...not sure what the brand is but they are older and I usually burn at low speeds for iso's anyway

Quote from: jimwill
The burner I am using is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A. I have heard complaints about the Sony's, but can't recall what they were!

It just so happens awhile back i had pulled my "Sony" burner out to do some cleaning inside my tower, and i got to looking at the little fine print on the spec sticker on the outside of the burner, and guess what?   It was a LITE-ON burner with Sony's name on the front of it. ( Huh which kind of upset me cause I thought i had purchased a "Sony"  Huh)  Might be worth taking the time to slip yours out and looking to see who actually made it.  This may be where your hang up is if infact it is due to it actually being a LITE-ON and not an actual "Sony" as mine says on the front, but is infact a LITE-ON.
jimwill

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:18:55 am »

Quote from: jimwill

It just so happens awhile back i had pulled my "Sony" burner out to do some cleaning inside my tower, and i got to looking at the little fine print on the spec sticker on the outside of the burner, and guess what?   It was a LITE-ON burner with Sony's name on the front of it. ( Huh which kind of upset me cause I thought i had purchased a "Sony"  Huh)  Might be worth taking the time to slip yours out and looking to see who actually made it.  This may be where your hang up is if infact it is due to it actually being a LITE-ON and not an actual "Sony" as mine says on the front, but is infact a LITE-ON.

That may be a possibility. I have noticed that when burning at the SLOW speed the 'software buffer' is running at 1 to 4 percent - when burining normally it stays at 100 percent. Of course the device buffer is all over the place Cheesy
Today I was burning some CD-R's rated at 40X. However K3b detected the maximum write speed as 8X! And burned at about 1.2X!! Huh
I have burned at 40X to other CD-R's from this same batch, so I can't see it being the media itself..
Any clues - I can't afford to trash the burner, so do I just live with it? ( if it happens too often I may have to go to WinXP and use Roxio - which I've not had any problems with! )

Also - on another topic - - has anyone gotten the Lexmark All-In-One scanner to work with sane? (Again, I am so far from being rich that I hardly know how to spell it! So I cannot afford to trash it and buy an HP)

ETA: Could my problem be that some of the mp3 files may have an unusual compression? If so, how could I check that and how could I fix it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:28:37 am by jimwill » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: