VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:11:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 SOHO problems  (Read 4925 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: June 18, 2008, 12:46:44 am »

SOHO final is working well. However, there are one or two minor problems it would be nice to sort out.

First, the size of fonts in the semi-graphical menus for Vasm has increased for no apparent reason. I've checked the fonts used in GTK apps, and they are fine, but the frames and fonts in Vasm selections are much bigger than they were when I first installed SOHO and used it to set services etc.

Second, in System > Remote Places > Samba Shares, I have a 'phantom' group. I have set up the name of my workgroup and the machines in it are being seen, shareable resources can be accessed. However, there is also a 'Mygroup' icon, which has a spurious share shown. It cannot be accessed, and cannot be deleted (attempting to delete it results in a 'doesn't exist' error).

Otherwise, pretty good....

paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:35 am »

Could it be that there is a Windows box on your network that is a member of "Mygroup" (even if it is not sharing anything)?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:30:13 am »

Could it be that there is a Windows box on your network that is a member of "Mygroup" (even if it is not sharing anything)?

No, only two other boxes on my network. One OS/2, one Zenwalk. Both have IBMPEERS set as their workgroup.

'Mygroup' is the default in the KDE Control Centre, but I changed it before I enabled Samba, so I don't know where it is being picked up from. I never saw this problem during the beta cycle.

paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:32:10 am »

Check in /etc/samba/smb.conf, maybe your computer is running the samba server and sees itself in "Mygroup".
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:24:50 am »

I've run into two bugs:

1.  The first time I logged out of KDE and clicked on System -> Console Login it worked just fine.  The second (and all subsequent) times it brings up th econsole login prompt for less than a second and goes straight back into kdm.

2.  After maybe the second or third time I booted the laptop into SOHO I had no networking.  I checked what was going on and it turned out the eepro100 module wasn't even loaded.  As root, running

Code:
/sbin/modprobe ee100pro
/etc/rc.d/rc.network restart

brought up my network and all my settings were intact.  Next reboot and once again nothing.  I ended up uncommenting the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to force ee100pro to be loaded on each boot and I've had no problems since.  That shouldn't be necessary, though.

On the overall it's a very good and very clean release.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:46:13 pm »

Check in /etc/samba/smb.conf, maybe your computer is running the samba server and sees itself in "Mygroup".

Smiley My laptop is running the samba server (partially wanted to test computability with OS/2, which had a few problems with earlier versions of Samba), but it sees itself in IBMPEERS as well.

One oddity is that fact that there is a machine shown in the spurious 'Mygroup'. It is a phantom, but calls itself BOX2 (my OS/2 server is named BOX1), I do have a server named BOX2, but it is currently on a hard drive that isn't installed in any machine - the machine it used to live in is currently acting as a test bed for SME Server - it is 'goldie', also on IBMPEERS. So not only can I not work out where the 'Mygroup' comes from, I can't work out where it gets  'box2' from either....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:05:29 pm »

I've run into two bugs:

1.  The first time I logged out of KDE and clicked on System -> Console Login it worked just fine.  The second (and all subsequent) times it brings up th econsole login prompt for less than a second and goes straight back into kdm.

Haven't hit that one. I did hit one oddity. After logging into console, I used su to get root access. Ended up with this error:

Code:
red:$ su
Password:
Default X      : startx
xmodmap:  unable to open display ''
xhost:  unable to open display ""

I'll have to check where that is coming from. Not a serious problem... One oddity - I used 'init 4' to get back to X, but found that I was still logged in to console - normally I expect 'init x' to kill the current session before changing level.

2.  After maybe the second or third time I booted the laptop into SOHO I had no networking.  I checked what was going on and it turned out the eepro100 module wasn't even loaded.  As root, running

Code:
/sbin/modprobe ee100pro
/etc/rc.d/rc.network restart

brought up my network and all my settings were intact.  Next reboot and once again nothing.  I ended up uncommenting the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules to force ee100pro to be loaded on each boot and I've had no problems since.  That shouldn't be necessary, though.

Not sure if it has any bearing. My last two laptops both had Intel Pro 100 NICs (current one has an Intel Pro 1000). With both of them, I had quite a few problems with the ee100pro driver. I always ended up blacklisting it so the e100 driver would load in preference.

If I remember correctly, one of the 5.9 Standard betas gave me similar problems - I had to modprobe the e100 (or the ee100pro) to get any wired network support. Haven't seen the problem since then though.

On the overall it's a very good and very clean release.

Indeed it is....

paul.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 03:17:54 pm »

Hi, Paul,

Thanks for your input.  Since the workaround for the eepro100 driver works and the driver appears to work flawlessly otherwise I'm not tempted to go to an older driver.  Interestingly enough I did experience a similar issue with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. 

I did run VL 5.9 Std without this issue coming up and I also have been testing Light and up through Beta5 it also worked perfectly.  I've had serious but unrelated problems with Light RC1 and some test builds after which I''m working with nightflier to solve.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 03:32:30 pm »

Hmm. This isn't a bug, its a problem I've caused for myself. Stupid......

Anyhow, I use Dar for backup quite a bit. And I have a package that adds Dar support to Midnight Commander. So I just applied it. Should have applied a bit of thought before I did so, but, typically, didn't.

The problem is that the Dar support package replaces both extfs.ini and mc.ext. So while I've now got Dar support, I've lost .tlz support  Sad

I've also been unable to replace MC - while using slapt-get to search for it comes up with mc-4.6.1_p1-i586-4vl58.tlz, any attempt to download the package fails. Can anyone tell me where it is, and why I don't seem to be able to get it back? I don't really want to reinstall SOHO - I've done it several times in the last couple of days...

paul.
todds

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:54:44 pm »

Hello you can download the package you need from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/packages/base-apps/ for some reason the mc-4.6.1_p1-i586-4vl58.tlz package does not seem to be in the repo`s for 5.9 soho.

If you still have trouble downloading it let me know and i will email to you

regards

todders

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:20:53 pm »

Hello you can download the package you need from http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/packages/base-apps/ for some reason the mc-4.6.1_p1-i586-4vl58.tlz package does not seem to be in the repo`s for 5.9 soho.

Smiley Thanks. Just found it. I missed the 58 part... I've now managed to get back lzma support and also (manually) added the Dar support. Working well now....

If you still have trouble downloading it let me know and i will email to you

No need now, thanks. However, I would be interested in knowing where the SlackBuild for the Vector version is - I'd like to build an updated version including the Dar support, not only for Vector, but also for Zenwalk, since the Vector version works better than the Zenwalk one does. I did find the lzma patch a while ago, though I may need to hunt for it again...

paul
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 06:30:03 am »

I'm seeing a couple of errors during SOHO startup. However, they're not being logged to syslog, nor are they appearing in dmesg.

How can I disable the screen clear when the system gets to the login prompt? It would be useful to be able to scroll back through the startup messages to find the errors. At the moment, they go past too fast  for me to fully read them.

paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:18:22 am »

I would like to know that too as I find occasional passing messages that don't seem to be logged anywhere.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: