VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 04:30:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL5.9-Light Beta5 Bug thread  (Read 10825 times)
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:28:01 am »

This is not a strict bug but should be changed: README file in the installation disc is old and says:

- internet: SeaMonkey, Opera
  - graphics: gimp, mtpaint
  - multimedia: audacious

which is not true for VL light.

Similiary /doc directory is a bit outdated and does not mention VL light.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:10:49 pm »

Installation: 

1. Same old problem with incorrect video resolution on my Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 as previously reported for VL 5.9 Standard.

2. On my Toshiba Libretto SS1010 the kernel panic is still there even with the IDE kernel.  I can't get Light to run on that machine at all.

kernel panic - not syncing
VFS: Unable to mount root-fs on unknown block (0,0)

My attempt to reinstall Mini Alpha 1.1 also failed so I really have no clue how I made it work before.

Display Manager:

SLiM - Not only does it not have options for LXDE or OpenBox, but it retains the option for Fluxbox even if you don't install that WM.  kdm works properly.

LXDE: 

If you choose to display the WM menu you lose the desktop settings menu.  That would be just fine if it were in the main menu somewhere.  It isn't.  The only way to change desktop settings in the GUI after that (or to restore the original menu configuration) is to go into pcmanfm to edit the settings there.  It isn't obvious or intuitive that pcmanfm manages the desktop in LXDE.

AbiWord:

I'd like to see 2.6.2 in the final release.  Fewer bugs, much better.

Opera:

I *LIKE* the small default font size.

Fonts:

Fontfix package still needed.  Curiously while that brought back helvetica I found that SIAG still bombs for lack of a helvetica-medium font.  Hmmm....  (SIAG works fine in Standard, but only if fontfix is installed.)  I installed the culmus-fonts package and that did work just fine.

Overall impression:

Very fast, very slick, and very close to ready for prime time.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 10:32:52 pm »

More LXDE quibbles:

ripperX doesn't show up in the menu.  I checked the /desktop file and the Categories= line is missing.  I added one and it showed up just fine.

xfi and rxvt don't have .desktop files.  The standard X utilities don't either and it would be nice if some of them (xcalc, xkill, xmag) showed up in the menu by default.

I've had no problems with lxpanel, BTW.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 04:05:24 am »

Fontfix package still needed.

fontfix-1.0-noarch-2vl59 is in the "required" category on the ISO. I wonder if the changes don't take?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:18:46 pm »

Fontfix package still needed.

fontfix-1.0-noarch-2vl59 is in the "required" category on the ISO. I wonder if the changes don't take?

You're right.  I started over with a clean B5 install and fontfix is installed by default and fonts work as they should.  The issue with SIAG is a missing  font, a damaged font, or a malformed font string (syntax error).  The error message I get is:

Code:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
Panic: can't load any fonts!

I need to do some troubleshooting when I have the time and I'll get back to you with the fix.

MrNoj

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 03:16:02 pm »

Not sure if it's a bug or pebkac, but my desktop goes blank occasionally on start, can't figure out what I'm doing different when it works properly vs when it's blank (it's a solid light blue color with no icons) going to <rclick>>Home> fixes the problem and displays the standard VectorLinux desktop background with all of the normal icons.

I'm almost positive that the other problem I'm having that I can't fix is a total pebkac. But for posterity I'll link it.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6598.0

I can't get auto login to work and I seem to have broke kdm... yeah, I'm that skilled.

What I know about Linux;

http://mrnoj.blogspot.com
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: