VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 02:14:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Light B5 Released.  (Read 27499 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 04, 2008, 12:22:22 pm »

The VectorLinux team is proud to announce VL-Light Beta 5.
VL-Light turns an aging PC into a usable computer again. Living up to the VL motto of "When Choice Matters," we give you lots of choices in a small package. We have included JWM and Fluxbox Window Managers, xfe and pcmanfm File managers, Opera, Dillo and lynx Web Browsers, Xine, MPlayer, and XMMS for Multimedia and Abiword and Gnumeric for office tasks. Come Discover the Difference that VL-Light will show you.
We have reached B5 status. In this release we have added the LXDE desktop, and upgraded vburn, which was developed by Nightflier. We need your feedback on them so Please test and let us know how it goes.

ISO can be downloaded here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-B5.iso
44c4076ef5d5e4fb7d0fd54c63142fa1  VL5.9-Light-B5.iso

Please post any bugs here: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6165.0
Thanks,
Uelsk8s
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:24:10 pm by uelsk8s » Logged
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:17:23 pm »

Is there any changelog for vl versions?  I'd be great having available all changes since last version.

bofh80

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:52 am »

Shocked  Roll Eyes don't blink. you might miss it.

What a wonderful job you have done, i've been waiting for years - YEARS for an OS that would run cleanly and fast on older hardware.
Current install of b5 on a Dell Latitude CPx. 500mhz / 64meg / 15gig.
Just keep in mind while wylie coyote is DSL or puppy. Vector Lite is like Road Runner.

It's clean, it's simple, it's faaSSST.

This light desktop stuff i've not heard of, my preference over the years has been ICEwm for various / obvious reasons.
You've just changed my preference. Smiley
I looked around for other distro's that had this LXDE and none of them are as updated.
Really i'd prefer this to be a debian base as i'm a big ubuntu fan (debian before that). ie ifconfig is not there :S

Couple of points
1) Can i add other apps?
2) Speaking of - where's Firefox? (yeah i know i know, but apart from IE, compatibility wise FF is all you should need or use.)
2a) EDITED =-= vpackager found - although gentoo wasn't what i had in mind ;p
3) How do i order the Menu bar - it's not alphabetised or nothing.

Yes i did like Opera when it came out, when i used windows, once i started using Linux, Opera became, well, the IE of linux.

Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant.

Notice i had to add numbers for various non-points.
That's because there's nothing else to say. There's nothing wrong with it. I can't believe i'm saying this.
I've never said this
There is NOTHING wrong with it.

Keep it coming.

well chuffed.
dabofh.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:14:15 am by bofh80 » Logged
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:04:41 am »

yeah, vl-light is really amazing.

ifconfig is right there, in /sbin , but as regular users do not have /sbin in their path, you should run it with the complete path.  If you're running as root, ifconfig is in the path, so no problems...

slapt-get is your friend.  it's our apt-get like package manager.  We have vpackager, that can use cruxports.  Moe is doing a great job with it. (thx M0E, btw)

There's no firefox because firefox is not that 'light' (opera is really lighter and faster than ff, at least firefox 2.X).  You can get firefox through slapt-get, or gslapt (slapt-get front-end)

No idea on the menu issue.  I haven't used any menus for 2 years.

Cya around, and welcome to VL.  If you found the distro amazing, you gotta see what community we have here Cheesy

Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 08:05:16 am »

1) Yes, of course. You can add:
- VL packages (through slapt-get or gslapt). VL packages are .tlz - the same as Slackware .tgz packages, but with lzma compression instead of gzip
- Slackware packages (VL5.9B5 is based on Slack 12 toolchain) - you download them and installpkg package-name.tgz or add Slack rep to slapt-get/gslapt (check /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc)
- compile programs yourself Wink
2) Firefox is too big and mem-hungry. slapt-get --install firefox should ease the pain Wink .
3) The LXDE menu bar or when you right click on desktop menu?

Welcome to Vector Linux Wink
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:07:15 am by Vanger » Logged

Running silent, running deep
bofh80

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:36 am »

ohh too much to take in Smiley
vpacker - installing firefox ;p
slapt-get - will look into - sounds fab, does that mean no building? Tongue

firefox might be memory hungry. but no slower than Opera IMO.

3) The Menu menu Bar - i have not got the right click WM function for desktop - so i just get the 3 little desktop icons.
So yeah - the 'Start' menu, Cheesy i want to sort them in order i want - or alphabetise them..

cheers for quick replies Cheesy excellent.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 08:27:35 am »

su
slapt-get --update
slapt-get --install firefox

vpackager wil compile packages locally, and vl-light lacks some sources, so maybe it will fail...

For firefox, slapt-get is a safer choice IMO.

I use ff b3 nightly builds, and work out of the box. just unpack and run. (well, and do the appropiate link to ff plugins)

su
cd /opt
wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/firefox-3.0pre.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2
tar xjfv firefox-3.0.....
cd firefox
rm -fr plugins
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
cd /usr/bin
ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:31:34 am »

vl-light lacks some sources, so maybe it will fail...

Correct. The kernel sources are not included due to space restraints. You can download them from here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/

Run command "uname -a" in a terminal to find your kernel version.

The start menu in LXDE is dynamically created each time you start, don't know of a way to manually edit it. The JWM and Fluxbox menus can be controlled by editing text files (link to files are on the respective menus).
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 01:44:11 pm »

The more I use VL 5.9 Light the more I like it  Smiley

I have a question though how can one setup a program in JWM to run automaticlly on boot up?

Thanks

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 02:07:51 pm »

The more I use VL 5.9 Light the more I like it  Smiley

I have a question though how can one setup a program in JWM to run automaticlly on boot up?

Glad to hear it!

In your home folder find the file .jwmrc. Open it in a text editor and find the block:
<StartupCommand> 
...snip...
</StartupCommand>
You will see "pcmanicons on" in there. Add your commands within that block.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:44 pm »

Thanks Nightflier.
it works sort of.  I'm trying to get wbar /vlbar to auto load , when I edit the file if will come up on logon but then disapear when I hit any function and the normal desktop come back with no wbar.  must have to write a script or something.
Dave

Dave
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:02:18 pm »

kc1di: I think what you're getting is a conflict between wbar and the "show desktop icons" in pcmanfm. They just don't seem to play well together Sad
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 02:10:48 am »

kc1di: I think what you're getting is a conflict between wbar and the "show desktop icons" in pcmanfm. They just don't seem to play well together Sad

That must be, I'll keep playing with it if I come up with a solution will post it here.

Dave
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:48:41 am »

Mine works even with pcmanfm icons...

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian