VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:47:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Light B5 Released.  (Read 26065 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 03:52:15 am »

why 2 text edistors? Adie associated with pcmanfm and 'x file writer' with xfe.
I have to agree I do not care for XFE Would like the pcmanfm to manage all the files.
Cheers Dave

The amount of choice presented reflects the users' variations in preferences, and requests. Of course we can't make everybody happy, but aim to please as many as possible There are actually more text editors available.. vi, nano and mcedit are lurking behind the GUI  Wink

The starting point was using JWM and pcmanfm. Over time a lot got added, but most remain optional during the installation. Uninstall XFE (which includes XFW)  and pcmanfm will take over.

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 04:07:16 am »

why 2 text edistors? Adie associated with pcmanfm and 'x file writer' with xfe.
I have to agree I do not care for XFE Would like the pcmanfm to manage all the files.
Cheers Dave

The amount of choice presented reflects the users' variations in preferences, and requests. Of course we can't make everybody happy, but aim to please as many as possible There are actually more text editors available.. vi, nano and mcedit are lurking behind the GUI  Wink

The starting point was using JWM and pcmanfm. Over time a lot got added, but most remain optional during the installation. Uninstall XFE (which includes XFW)  and pcmanfm will take over.

Thanks it works
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 04:28:04 am »

I have written a short how to on how to install bibletime in a VL 5.9 light b5 system
you can find it at http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=6265.0
Dave
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:57:12 am by kc1di » Logged

Dave
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

Two questions,

What is Bibletime?

Is Java installed?  If not, what's the best approach to install it?  Should I download it from java.com or find a package somewhere? 
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 11:00:58 am »

Java: search for "jre" in gslapt.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 04:52:53 pm »

Two questions,

What is Bibletime?

Is Java installed?  If not, what's the best approach to install it?  Should I download it from java.com or find a package somewhere? 
\

Bibletime is Biblestudy software from Crosswire bible project.  it has many Bible versions, commentaries and much more that can be down loaded to study the bible. 

Dave
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:11 am »

Thank you! Please consider also its sibling, streamripper.  Cheesy

Hi Streamtuner and Streamripper have both been placed in the Testing Repository.
Enjoy,
kc1di

Dave
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 12:17:15 pm »

I wanted to test if Vector Light can be extended by downloading KDE. I noticed in gslapt that 3.5.9 is available. Gslapt complained about mysql when I tried. I downloaded packages anyway. They were installed but when I tried to log into KDE session it failed. KDE appliactions (ie konqueror or kmail can be run from JWM, only kde session fails).

Two questions here:
1. Why kde/qt depends on mysql ??
2. Was KDE 3.5.9 supposed to be working with Vector Light beta 5?

Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2008, 01:22:18 pm »

As I had problems with KDE from Vector repository I installed 3.5.7 from slack 12.0. It worked without pain.

By the way: Is the Light beta 5 compatible with Slack 12.0 or maybe 12.1 already?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:46 pm »

Light 5.9 is Slack 12 compatible and will stay that way.

Light was not built with KDE in mind. Being Linux, though, nothing stops you from adding it. One way to do so is to get the MultiMedia Bonus Disc. I tried installing it and ended up with a fully functional KDE desktop. Still, look for 5.9 SOHO to be out soon. It is designed to use KDE.
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 02:34:32 pm »

Would have loved this release to be "advertised" on DistroWatch.  I hope that the final release will though. 
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2008, 05:24:49 pm »

Bibletime is Biblestudy software from Crosswire bible project.  it has many Bible versions
bible versions as in different religions or versions of king james..does the program cross referance the versions?..that could be interesting...

Everything Is Relative
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

Light 5.9 is Slack 12 compatible and will stay that way.

Light was not built with KDE in mind. Being Linux, though, nothing stops you from adding it. One way to do so is to get the MultiMedia Bonus Disc. I tried installing it and ended up with a fully functional KDE desktop. Still, look for 5.9 SOHO to be out soon. It is designed to use KDE.

Does the MMBD have version 5.0.51(b) of MYSQL on it? It seems that KDE 3.5.9 requires it yet the VL 5.9 repositories only have version 5.0.45.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 12:07:20 am »

Does the MMBD have version 5.0.51(b) of MYSQL on it? It seems that KDE 3.5.9 requires it yet the VL 5.9 repositories only have version 5.0.45.

Why should KDE depend on mysql at all  Huh

bofh80

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 01:18:15 am »

it's mee again.

Say i need to install DoxBox.
Using vpackager - crux ports - it says MD5 sum different. If i choose ignore doesn't work anyway.
Could someone point me to a tlz? that will work?
Or tell me what i can try pls.

Also smbmount and mount -t smbfs gives me errors. You got a gui in here somewhere for network (m$) browsing / connections.

cheers!
dabofh
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: