VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Running e-Sword Bible Program on VL 5.8  (Read 3223 times)

TC

Running e-Sword Bible Program on VL 5.8
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:20:38 pm »

I downloaded and ran the e-sword785exe installation wizard which seemed to work as advertised. The only problem is I cannot get it to work. I am running VL 5.8 on my computer. when I look in my wine under programs it is not there like my desktop weather program. When I look in my shell under my root directory and type cd wine enter then type find about a dozen lines containing e-Sword information shows up to include e-Sword.exe. the exact line is ./.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword/e-Sword.exe does anyone know how I can get e-Sword running on my computer, thank you. TC.

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
Re: Running e-Sword Bible Program on VL 5.8
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 10:14:43 pm »

On VL 5.8, I believe you can install BibleTime via slapt-get (i.e., slapt-get --install bibletime).

"Seek and ye shall find"
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 11:23:22 pm »

I've not been able to get eSword to work under wine although others seem to have had some success. I currently run it in VirtualBox with an emulated WinXP. The Sword project is ok and has some nice features but I prefer eSword to it. Mostly I use Logos though (FWIW).
HTH,
Mike
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 06:28:08 am »

Hi TC, lets see if your install worked or not. try wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword/e-Sword.exe in a console as your regular user (not root).
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

TC

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 04:50:33 pm »

No.  When I input wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/e-Sword/e-Sword.exe I get the following reply, wine: cannot find '/home/us/.wine/drive_c/Program'  I do not understand because I ran the setup and it said all went well after the setup was completed.  Where do I go from here?  Thank you, TC.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 05:57:39 pm »

I forgot, you have to 'escape' the space with the \ character

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/e-Sword/e-Sword.exe

Or perhaps easier, navigate with thunar to the e-Sword dir and right click, open a terminal here, and then wine e-Sword.exe
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 08:02:07 pm »

When you use tab completion, character escaping is automatic.
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months

TC

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:11:11 pm »

Thank you, the following worked like a charm; wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/e-Sword/e-Sword.exe.  Now my problem is getting the add-on modules installed so they work with the e-Sword program.  I am able to download them onto my desktop of course they download as .exe, but when I try to install them they run forever without any results.  So, that is where I stand with those at this present moment.  Has anyone had success with installing one of the e-Sword modules and making them work with the program?  TC.

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 06:49:33 pm »

IF you have a windows partition you can expand them there then copy the .bbl files to your linux partition in the directory with e-Sword in it.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

kfoster

• computers
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:37 pm »

You can install the esword modules by just running wine esword-module-name.exe, which will install them.

Also, see this howto on installing esword on linux: http://techxian.com/esword-on-linux/index.html
What, me worry?