VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:31:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Negroponte sells out  (Read 2152 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: May 16, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »

Microsoft finds Negroponte's yellow streak..

Just that simple.  Microsoft opposed Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child project from day 1, because the One Lap Top Per Child's founder, Nicolas Negroponte did not want to pay an extra $3.00 per computer for  the Microsoft operating system.  Or so he said.

Guess what?  Microsoft won.  Today's New York Times noted that Negroponte and Microsoft have reached a "deal" which, to no-one's surprise involves putting the Microsoft operating system on those little laptops, Negroponte says most of the computers are bought by governments and is quoted as noting that the "people who buy" the machines "are much more comfortable with Windows."  Government leaders who buy the computers in Africa are also more comfortable putting their money into Mugabe's Rolls Royces instead of mosquito nets for their people.  African leaders are perhaps the most computer illiterate, and certainly the most bribeable people in the world.  Only two or three of them can read and write.  Don't have to ponder long to understand why they "prefer" Windows, now, do we? 

It only goes to show us, again, that Might Makes Right.  I am ashamed to have bought two of those little computers. Sadly, at the time, I didn't notice Negroponte's yellow streak.

The Times says that not all is lost, however, because those who specifically order Linux can still get it. Most African leaders haven't heard of gravity, much less either Windows or Linux.  How stupid does Negroponte think we are?

Remember:  following his receipt of massive Microsoft election contributions, Bush dismissed Bill Clinton's anti-trust case against Microsoft (the case which would have properly split the monopoly into two or three separate companies). OBama will fix this. So might Hillary. 

Meanwhile, we can only pray that Obama destroys McCain this fall and then destroys Microsoft.  Until we rid the world of these twin forces of evil, its great masses will remain relegated to a life of digging ditches for the likes of rich white folk like Bill Gates and George Bush.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:26:53 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »

Meanwhile, we can only pray that Obama destroys McCain this fall and then destroys Microsoft.  Until we rid the world of these twind forces of evil, its great masses will remain relegated to a life of digging ditches for the likes of rich white folk like Bill Gates and George Bush.
Interesting...but not reality in Africa where most "dig ditches" for other Africans.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:38:54 pm »

can't wait for the utube postings of ginnyworm rap and etnic clensing blues..so what about the poor kids in america that could use a free laptop..oh they are all fat and rich I forgot..my moneys on the eeepc

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:00:04 pm »

The neat thing about the little Negroponte machines is that the screen can be easily seen in bright sunlight.  Neither eeepc nor anyone one else sells such a device, best I can tell. So we do our computing indoors.

And Microsoft has done as job on America's poor too.  A kid today that can't access the internet is blind to much, perhaps most, of the world's riches.  Keeping those kids from their "seeing eye dog" however, is not the Negroponte story.   It is the Bush story. Somebody's got to dig our ditches.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:12:19 pm »

The original 100 laptop was a good idea..in addition to a black and white screen for out side it also had a crank at the hinge to power it..that caught my attention..but it went steady down hill..the eeepc was supposed to be 199 dollars I thought but is 350...my p166 with damnsmall cost 5 dollars..not so portable but a good price
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:17:08 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:25:59 pm »

African leaders are perhaps the most computer illiterate, and certainly the most bribeable people in the world.  Only two or three of them can read and write.

I'm sure nearly all of them are literate, from the municipal level on up. Certainly the state-level officials in charge of these things can read. Which is why they have the power to begin with. In fact, a lot of the officials I've heard on Channel Africa are a little verbose for my tastes. I wish we still received World Radio Network tho.

It only goes to show us, again, that Might Makes Right.

The strong rule the weak, and the clever rule the strong. I don't see this ever changing. Nature compels it. Until all people are inherently equal, there will always be inequality.

The Times says that not all is lost, however, because those who specifically order Linux can still get it. Most African leaders haven't heard of gravity, much less either Windows or Linux.  How stupid does Negroponte think we are?

Most people know about gravity. (I think.)

Meanwhile, we can only pray that Obama destroys McCain this fall and then destroys Microsoft.  Until we rid the world of these twin forces of evil, its great masses will remain relegated to a life of digging ditches for the likes of rich white folk like Bill Gates and George Bush.

I have several problems with this last part.

Even if Barack Obama wanted to smash Microsoft's monopoly, any measure he would introduce would have to pass through Congress first. Microsoft is just too massively entrenched for that to happen, especially here in the US.

I don't believe getting rid of Microsoft would change much for the poor of the world. Piracy is incredibly common in second-world countries where there is access to technology but not a lot of money. Many, possibly most of of the warez books I have downloaded came from sites in Russia and China, and there is a wealth of cracked software I could just as easily get my paws on if I had any need for it. MS Windows in particular is pirated everywhere. I don't know whether the introduction of Vista has introduced more effective anti-piracy measures, but that doesn't matter because no one really wants Vista. Illegitimate XP copies are all over the place.

It would probably be more fitting to call BushCo what the Enlightened Westerner would consider 'evil'. However, even eliminating BushCo will probably not change a lot in the world. People act like a few diseased branches need to be pruned from the tree of humanity and that will be the end of all our problems, but the problem is that the disease is festering in the roots. Microsoft is not the real problem, and neither is BushCo. The real problem is the bovine stupidity of the human race, and the only solution is to let the stupid die out.

Anyway, that's besides the point: since the many often make life painful and miserable for the few, I think it is just that the few go on to make life painful and miserable for the many. Amirite? The 'great masses' consist mostly of unfit individuals who are also oppressive in their own right. So why should we feel for people we don't even know? Almost any random sample of people will have very few people of any worth in it.

And Microsoft has done as job on America's poor too.  A kid today that can't access the internet is blind to much, perhaps most, of the world's riches.  Keeping those kids from their "seeing eye dog" however, is not the Negroponte story.   It is the Bush story. Somebody's got to dig our ditches.

What does Microsoft have to do with Internet access? Also, I disagree about availability of the Internet determining what you can and can't learn. It's useful for many things, but having access to a decent library is as good in most respects, worse in some, but better in others. The Internet is full of a lot of data, but most of these data are useless. In fact, most of what I know about formal computer science (e.g., Dijkstra's algorithm) came from books. I find the medium of the Internet powerful, but also really distracting. It prevents me from getting anything useful done because I can just hop around from site to site. Books promote focus, I think.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:26:38 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:39:48 am »

M.S. Could simply not try to get their system on these little laptops.  I'm sure the pressure was tremendous!!!!  Just Like Mac and Apple tartgeted schools years ago.  This will be the first impression made on millions of kids in the third world countries as they get introduced to computers. 
It has very little to do with those countries being more comfortable with XP and all to do with introducing the next generation of leaders in those countries to M.S. products as early as possible.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 04:15:03 am »

Oh c'mon, give Microsoft a break! Thanks to them, the OLPC will be a more capable machine. It will need more storage, and probably more muscle too. Now those poor children can enjoy the same luxuries as we do. They can get free pre-installed antivirus and security suite trials, plus all kinds of other great software. Nifty browser add-ons, custom cursors, dueling media players, background processes that can analyze your usage and recommend products for your pleasure. If they can't connect to the internet, they will have to get a phone when WPA kicks in. This way they are guaranteed a way of communicating with the rest of the world.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 04:36:51 am »

Formally stated, the limit of progress as administrative gayness approaches infinity is: dick.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 07:57:49 am »

What does Microsoft have to do with Internet access?

For one thing, Microsoft charges for its license.  Even non-profits in this country have to pay $5 per machine.  Fine, so non-profits could just put out linux, right?  Wrong.  The non-profit we were getting our used computers from told us that it had to charge the $5 per used machine whether it came with Microsoft, with linux or with no operating system.  "To do otherwise," we were told, "would give linux an unfair advantage and violate the terms of our Microsoft grant." I agree its sort of indirect, but without a computer, its pretty hard for a poor kid to access the internet. And if you give out 100 old computers to poor kids thats $500 to Microsoft, $500 which otherwise could be turned into another 100 computers for poor kids.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 08:00:19 am by sledgehammer » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 08:11:08 am »

"To do otherwise," we were told, "would give linux an unfair advantage and violate the terms of our Microsoft grant."
Sounds like they are getting money from microsoft to me
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:43:11 am »

How would they access the internet without the windows? Why doesn't anyone ask that question? Everybody who knows something about computers knows internet is based on servers. And the most advanced servers run the new Internet Explorer 7. Sure the hackers have been able to break in to explorer 6 with their firefox theme, but the whole world is switching to explorer 7, which is far more advanced, and even allows for tabbed browsing. In no time linix will die out because it's incompatible with the new Vista drivers and the servers running explorer 7.

Bill was right for making this generous offer, and we should thank him.

*all together*
Thanks Bill!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:08 am »

What does Microsoft have to do with Internet access?

For one thing, Microsoft charges for its license.  Even non-profits in this country have to pay $5 per machine.  Fine, so non-profits could just put out linux, right?  Wrong.  The non-profit we were getting our used computers from told us that it had to charge the $5 per used machine whether it came with Microsoft, with linux or with no operating system.  "To do otherwise," we were told, "would give linux an unfair advantage and violate the terms of our Microsoft grant." I agree its sort of indirect, but without a computer, its pretty hard for a poor kid to access the internet. And if you give out 100 old computers to poor kids thats $500 to Microsoft, $500 which otherwise could be turned into another 100 computers for poor kids.

I take it the 'grant' would offset the cost of purchasing WinDOS?

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »

I don't know.  I only know that we stopped getting our used computers from that non-profit to save the $5.00.  We probably spend more than that checking out the donated computers, disposing of worthless or unfixable ones, storage and the like.  But at least we are not letting Bill Gates make a buck off these kids, some of whose "home" is a camper on the back of a pickup. 

And our kids get top notch computers, absolutely free, computers that are at least as good as those the rich kids are getting - in my opinion, much better for our kids learn a bit about the workings of a good operating system.

This amounts to about the same thing that Microsoft did to Negroponte....using non-profit status to spread the use of Windows.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 07:15:08 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:38:15 pm »

Why would you waste your time doing that

Pages: [1]
  Print