VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 05:30:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autostart PPTViewer  (Read 3451 times)
vdb

« on: May 07, 2008, 11:57:40 pm »

Hey Guys,

got another question, or a case I think.
What I'm trying to create is a Vector 5.8 which only shows a simple powerpoint presentation.
So I've installed Wine and Microsofts PPT Viewer 2003. So far so good but the next step is to automate this process by only turning the computer on.. after that Vector should logon for itself an autostart the presentation.
Is this possible?

Now I first have to execute PPT Viewer with Wine and after that is done I load the correct presentation and voila. But is there a way to bypass all these clicks and just let it autorun the presentation after startup?

Thanks for you brainstorming!  Smiley

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:14:17 am »

Use the search box use "auto login" plenty of
information.

Next would be use the users startup to start wine and
the batch script or autorun of the power point file. Maybe even
creating an association for the power point file.

HTH

Bigpaws
vdb

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:38:32 am »

auto login is already set..

after the login i want automaticly open a powerpoint presentation whit wine.

how should i do this? could i do this with wine or is there an other program wich can do this?

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 05:06:08 am »

You would create a script or a link in the folder /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart to what you want to run automatically.

Will OpenOffice Impress do the job? That would eliminate the wine software layer. If you don't want the file to be edited, make it read only.
vdb

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:31:41 am »

i could autostart the powerpoint with openoffice impress and then start the slide show by myself, that is not the intention
the slide show has to start automaticly!

isn't there a program for vector just like powerpoint viewer on windows platform?

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:12:04 am »

You would create a script or a link in the folder /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart to what you want to run automatically.

That will still work with your wine program. Call wine /path/to/PPTViewer2003/name_of_the_file.pps from the kde autostart folder.

Just for the record, if anyone wants to use OO for same pourpose, looks like can autostart .pps slide shows with an extension:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3680&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=5d29397f67638e5b10442caaec3ed65c&start=0

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: