VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 01:40:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow Printing Via CUPS  (Read 3976 times)
Martin109
Vectorite

« on: May 09, 2008, 11:19:30 pm »

I've set up my Epson Stylus Photo 890 via CUPSWeb satisfactorily, but printing is, however, very slow and hesitant compared with Windoze.  Are there any tweaks I might make to settings to speed up this printer, or might it just be that the system is struggling with not much memory??

Compaq Armada E500, i686 Pentium III, 512Mb RAM, 3.2 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 5.9 Standard

Fujitsu Lifebook, i686 Pentium M, 1.7 GHz, 1028Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard

Compaq Evo, i686 Pentium M, 1.4 GHz, 512Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:07:05 am »

I have an Epson Stylus Color 760 on a print server and printing is notably slower than in Windows. The computers on which I print to this printer have 1, 2, and 3 gigs of RAM, so I know it's not a RAM problem. If you are low on RAM, that may be contributing to your problem, but it's probably not the only reason.

The higher your quality setting in CUPS, the slower your printing will be. So to speed up printing, first make sure you aren't using any higher quality than you need. 360 dpi will print much faster than 1440, or whatever your options are.

What you might do is set up several "Epson Printers" in CUPS at various quality settings. For example, you might set up a printer called EpsonFast and use the lowest quality needed for what you're printing. Set up an EpsonBest printer with the highest quality you need. Set up EpsonUsual for a middle quality setting acceptable for most of your printing. Then you can select the printer depending on what you're printing. It's faster and easier to select among multiple instances of your Epson printer preconfigured for what your printing needs are than to modify settings every time.

I hope this helps.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Martin109
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:58:02 pm »

Many thanks, GG!

That makes a lot of sense.  Soon I hope I will have time to set up multiple instances as you suggest and will see how it goes.  Looks very promising to me! Smiley

Compaq Armada E500, i686 Pentium III, 512Mb RAM, 3.2 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 5.9 Standard

Fujitsu Lifebook, i686 Pentium M, 1.7 GHz, 1028Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard

Compaq Evo, i686 Pentium M, 1.4 GHz, 512Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, running Vector Linux 6.0 Standard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: