VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: USB to printer cable  (Read 2518 times)

Lyn

• Vectorian
USB to printer cable
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:14:24 pm »

I have a fairly bog standard laser printer which has a standard parallel connection and no usb connection.  I can see you can get usb to printer cable type leads, would I have any problems setting this up via cups?  Have never used a usb connection before for printing.  Using Vector 5.9 standard.....

Thanks all

Pita

• Vectorian
Re: USB to printer cable
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:26:13 pm »

I had my Epson LQ300 parallel connected to a USB port. The only problem with it was that the printer had to be switched-on a few minutes before given a print job. This is when using HAL. If I switched it on just before printing it would not print until a reboot even so the job was in the print queue. I had reported this in another post on this forum.

Now with my new mobo I am connceted again parallel to parallel and can print immediately.

In cups I had to set "DeviceURI usb://Unknown/" for this USB connection and cups wopuld find this only when the printer was switched on.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 10:57:58 pm »

Thanks for that.  So best switch on the printer prior to booting up to make sure it is found.  I use VL-Hot, would that make a difference?

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:38:27 am »

Thanks for that.  So best switch on the printer prior to booting up to make sure it is found.  I use VL-Hot, would that make a difference?
[/quote

That is what I always forgot to switch the printer on when booting. I am back in VL-58 and if I remember correctly in VL-59 where I used VL-Hot the delay of finding the printer was absent.