VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:23:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessing FAT32 partitions  (Read 1588 times)
sullysat

« on: May 14, 2008, 07:52:51 am »

Hey folks,

I just installed VL 5,8 SOHO on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop in a dual boot configuration with WinXP.

I left a 20GB FAT32 partition that I'd like to use to share data files between the two systems in preparation for migrating my business from MS to Linux, preferably using Vector.

However, I can't figure out how to view/mount/access this partition.  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Sully
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:22:24 am »

The easiest option is to use VasmCC. Select Filesystems > Mount partitions > Add partition. Once you've selected where to add the partition, you can also use the 'mount all partitions in fstab' to mount the partition so you can access it without having to restart the system.

paul.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:43:33 am »

There is no VASMCC in 5.8 SOHO.

Add this line fix accordingly as far as mount points.

/dev/hda2 /media/wind vfat umask=000 0 0

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:06:28 pm »

There is no VASMCC in 5.8 SOHO

Fortunately, good ol' vasm can still be used  Grin
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:07:48 pm »

Quote from: toothandnail
The easiest option is to use VasmCC. Select Filesystems > Mount partitions > Add partition.
Quote from: bigpaws
There is no VASMCC in 5.8 SOHO.
But it works the same in "normal" vasm, except that you have to switch to root first with "SUPER". Or open Vasm as root.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
sullysat

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:08:49 pm »

Thanks for the help folks!  I knew it was something simple, I just couldn't find what I was looking for.  This is my first experience with SOHO and I don't have much KDE experience either since most of the systems I've loaded so far have been too low end to run  either.

Now I just need to sort out how to save the wireless settings so I don't have to keep doing that and I'll be ready to actually USE it.

Off to the HowTo's I go...

Thanks!
Sully
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: