VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 05:11:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDA Lost Interrupt / AMD-K6 PC  (Read 1852 times)
SteveJ

« on: May 11, 2008, 05:41:41 am »

Attempting to install VL STD 5.9 Gold on an old IBM Aptiva:

266 MHz AMD-K6-2
128 MB memory
ATI Mach64 (2048 KB Video Memory)
4018 MB HDD  (8306 cylinder, 15 head, 63 sectors) [Quantum BigFoot ATA disk]
CD-ROM

During setup, get the following -- takes 15 or 20 seconds between each line being displayed:

hda : 7849170 sectors (4018 MB) w/69KiB Cache, CHS=8306/15/63, (U)DMA
hda: cache flushes not supported
  hda<4>: hda : lost interrupt
hda : lost interrupt
hda : dma_timer_expiry; dma status == 0x24
hda : DMA interrupt recovery
 hda1 hda2 hda3
hda : DMA interrupt recovery

This occurs during the initial stage of the boot off the CD-ROM.  After the long delay it progress quickly past this and displays the install startup page "Welcome to the VECTOR LINUS Install / Kernel 2.6.22.14".  Later the install hangs during the mkswap step and never progresses.

Also takes a long time to figure out that the distribution is on the CD-ROM, but I don't know if that is related.

Any ideas?  I was able to install DeLi Linux on this clunker.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:03:06 am by SteveJ » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:19:15 am »

I have seen those errors in the past when hard drives were failing. I would recommend running a diagnostic test on the drive.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
SteveJ

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:33:09 am »

Hmm, sounds like a good idea.  But the tools on Seagate are for Windows or DOS.  There is a Linux version only good for servers running SCSI drivers, not for IDE or ATA drives.  But still, I can poke around for a Linux utility.

But the strange thing is that DeLi Linux seemed to have no problems on this count.  That makes me wonder if it is a compatibility issue.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »

It is a possibility that there is some kind of conflict. With older hardware, trial and error is the way to go. When you find something that works for you, use it.

As far as the DOS utilities go, the apps usually create a floppy that you boot from and it takes total control over the machine. That is usually the best way to test.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: