VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 07:45:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen Resolution Help 1680x1050  (Read 2104 times)
Atticmonkey

« on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:30 pm »

OK so i made the plunge and threw Win XP to the curb.

Keep in mind, im like 1 day into Linux, but have an above avg to good knowledge in how computers work and Windows OS etc, etc.

On to my issue:

Now that i have WINE installed, and World of Warcraft properly installed and running,  i need to change my screen resolution to meet my monitors needs.(at least for the apps that best utilize 1680x1050)   Just using the desktop and the internet everything looks fine running the maximum default settings that came with VecLinux (1024x768@60hz).  My Monitor http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS22WJWKBJUXAA Runs at 1680x1050.

I can live with the desktop like it is  (looks nice to me actually) But when im on WoW and go to set my resolution to 1680x1050 (like it was when i was on Windows) it crashes the game as soon as i accept the change.( and eventually figured out that my resolution wasnt included with the linux install)   So, i go digging around the net to find my driver.  It so happens Nvidia supports linux and offers drivers for linux.  ( I was glad to see that  )    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us  .  Again i followed their "how-to" to the letter and cant seem to get the driver to take.  I might be missing a step somewhere....remember im still a greenhorn here to Linux.

I wish i could post my system specs here for you but I am not sure just yet as to where i can find that info yet within Linux.    If/when i find that info i will come back and edit this post with it or make a new post with it.

So, with the information i have provided ( i know its limited as of right now) Can someone please point me in the right direction in getting an Nvidia driver so i can set my apps that utilize 1680x1050 resolution.(WoW...looks very jaggy at the max settings[that are currently provided] right now)

Id appreciate it if you could dumb it down for me (as best as you can) since im a Linux infant... with perhaps links and a simple "how-to" as to get it installed correctly.

Otherwise now that everything is up and running im very pleased with the system so far. (short of a few minor bugs which i think i can fix once im more accustomed to how Linux behaves)

Thank you for taking time to read my post and hope to get some helpful feedback.  Grin

--Atticmonkey--
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:16 pm »

Welcome to Vector  Smiley

A couple of things to talk about: What Vector version are you using?
Do you have the kernel sources installed? You can check by opening the package manager gslapt and search for "src". If sources are installed, the square next to the entry will be blue (and maybe with a lock on it).
Atticmonkey

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 06:31:03 am »

Im running Super Gamer VL

And in the gslapt folder there are a handfull of "src" kernal's UNchecked....not sure which to check or uncheck...dont want to mess anything up.
Atticmonkey

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:16:45 am »

Link to my version of Vector Linux

http://supergamer.org/
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:27:49 am »

In a terminal, run command "uname -a". It will tell you what kernel you are using (something like 2.6.22.19).

Check and install the src version that matches your kernel. Then try installing the video driver again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: