VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: newbie: no swap  (Read 4890 times)

fillemon

Re: newbie: no swap
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 02:30:34 pm »

oh i'm sorry,
i didn't notice that. but after downloading what then ?

and also, you say: it gives you the impression that it is faster, how does it do that ?

thank you

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 03:40:51 pm »

oh i'm sorry,
i didn't notice that. but after downloading what then ?

and also, you say: it gives you the impression that it is faster, how does it do that ?

thank you
It puts priority on the new programs you just clicked(taking cpu cycles away from things already running)

download both of these
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-2.6.22.18-ck1-i586-1vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.22.18-ck1-i586-1vl59.tlz

open a terminal and su to root
type installpkg kernel*tlz
then run vliloconf
then reboot and try the new kernel

fuelinux

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:48:55 am »

Back to swap... hmm... I realise that it is kind of "archaological" question, but... Do we need it at all when RAM is at least 128MB? every time I looked at htop there was 0 bytes of swap utilized.
During my several installs of VL (hard disk had a problem and I had keeping reinstalling it - that's a different story) once I forgat  ::) to designate one partition for swap. Distro ran fine. I only noticed "swaplessness" of my machine solely by accident.
Whole linux community can not be wrong using swap on their machines, but don't you think it's rather a tradition than necessity  ???
Vector Linux 5.8 Standard

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:56 am »

It really depends on how you use your machine, whether you will need swap or not.
I have a gig of ram and use gigs of swap at the same time.
You may never use your swap at all.

fillemon

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 12:03:57 pm »

well if i can i don't use swap. i goes faster, that's for shure.

in windows i turned of paging, and my swap is 0mb, i rarely run into problems and this with only 1gb ram.
(i'm gonna install 2gb). i do only office apps, of course video or raw photo editing is somthing else. but today's price of ram is so low that 8gb of ram isn't a problem anymore. i'm a big supporter of loading everything in the ram memory and then the hard disk stops working; no energy, no sound wasted;
windows should have an option for that. and as a backup for documents or download it should write these parrallel to an big usb key or something.

if one day i can, i'm gonna do this for linux, but i'm just a starter, having a hard time to install something in linux, i'm lightyears away of developping something like that.  :)

i'm gonna set up the new kernel. thanx

fillemon

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 12:34:54 pm »

i have installed the ck kernel, thank you for the fine and complete task and commands you supply,
as a newby i'im having problems very fast if not all actions are written down: so thanx for it.

also with the vliloconf, i could select grub and non graphical interface whih i like more

i have also runned linux puppy from cd and must say that it is indeed very fast.
i have installed that on the vectorlinux directory, but was not able to change the bootloader to select puppy
i might have another try now with grub;

thanx already
Pages: 1 [2]