VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:03:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie: no swap  (Read 4077 times)
fillemon

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:34 pm »

oh i'm sorry,
i didn't notice that. but after downloading what then ?

and also, you say: it gives you the impression that it is faster, how does it do that ?

thank you
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 02:40:51 pm »

oh i'm sorry,
i didn't notice that. but after downloading what then ?

and also, you say: it gives you the impression that it is faster, how does it do that ?

thank you
It puts priority on the new programs you just clicked(taking cpu cycles away from things already running)

download both of these
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-2.6.22.18-ck1-i586-1vl59.tlz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.22.18-ck1-i586-1vl59.tlz

open a terminal and su to root
type installpkg kernel*tlz
then run vliloconf
then reboot and try the new kernel
fuelinux

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 09:48:55 am »

Back to swap... hmm... I realise that it is kind of "archaological" question, but... Do we need it at all when RAM is at least 128MB? every time I looked at htop there was 0 bytes of swap utilized.
During my several installs of VL (hard disk had a problem and I had keeping reinstalling it - that's a different story) once I forgat  Roll Eyes to designate one partition for swap. Distro ran fine. I only noticed "swaplessness" of my machine solely by accident.
Whole linux community can not be wrong using swap on their machines, but don't you think it's rather a tradition than necessity  Huh

Vector Linux 5.8 Standard
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 10:07:56 am »

It really depends on how you use your machine, whether you will need swap or not.
I have a gig of ram and use gigs of swap at the same time.
You may never use your swap at all.
fillemon

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:57 am »

well if i can i don't use swap. i goes faster, that's for shure.

in windows i turned of paging, and my swap is 0mb, i rarely run into problems and this with only 1gb ram.
(i'm gonna install 2gb). i do only office apps, of course video or raw photo editing is somthing else. but today's price of ram is so low that 8gb of ram isn't a problem anymore. i'm a big supporter of loading everything in the ram memory and then the hard disk stops working; no energy, no sound wasted;
windows should have an option for that. and as a backup for documents or download it should write these parrallel to an big usb key or something.

if one day i can, i'm gonna do this for linux, but i'm just a starter, having a hard time to install something in linux, i'm lightyears away of developping something like that.  Smiley

i'm gonna set up the new kernel. thanx
fillemon

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 11:34:54 am »

i have installed the ck kernel, thank you for the fine and complete task and commands you supply,
as a newby i'im having problems very fast if not all actions are written down: so thanx for it.

also with the vliloconf, i could select grub and non graphical interface whih i like more

i have also runned linux puppy from cd and must say that it is indeed very fast.
i have installed that on the vectorlinux directory, but was not able to change the bootloader to select puppy
i might have another try now with grub;

thanx already
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: