VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:57:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sound issues with Ardour- My soundcard not full duplex? AND MORE...  (Read 2491 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: May 17, 2008, 10:01:18 pm »

A few months ago I got the vector deluxe cds since I am stuck in dial up...This week, I finally installed the package, including the bonus cd to an older pc.

I have just a bit of linux experience, but my last serious linux box was back in redhat 6.0 times. My initial first reaction was WOW! to the ease and speed of the installation with vector.

Every single piece of hardware was no problem,except for the crappy built in sound on this pc, (And older gateway desktop 600mhz pentium 3 upgraded to 512 megs ram and two 40 gig hd's)
I found an old sb 16, disabled onboard sound,
slapped it in and reran the sound app...

No problems getting sound out of it with vector, but I do have a problem. Ardour Dosn't seem to run unless I click PLAY ONLY. I know sb16 is ancient, but isn't that a full duplex soundcard? Should work I think works in windows with similar daw applications (Cooledit, sound forge vegas, others), but it does not work with ardour and vector to play and record at the same time.

Gives an error message about jack not running unless I click on play only in the session startup.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem, and if not, can someone here who IS running ardour to record and play at the same time please tell me what soundcard you are using? AND where can I order
one online? OR if anyone has a used one your sure will work you'd like to sell, let me knowI can paypal you if your interested in selling one.

The Ardour DAW out of the box (NO COMPILING!) was the main reason I chose the vector linux deluxe cds. I'm a bit dissapointed, but the rest of this vector pc works so great I can't cry, I'm sure this can be fixed...

I want to THANK the vector linux team for such a fine system, I still can't beleive how fast this system is especially considering the
specs. This thing running skaletracker (www.skale.org)
and the new renoise package for linux (www.renoise.com)
The vector PC runs RINGS around even a 1400mhz pentium 4 I have running windows xp running the same apps for windows. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure happy to be able to get a great new workstation for my creative audio projects for PENNIES!

ANYONE running ardour to play and record at the same time, PLEASE let me know what soundcard you are using and where I can get one, I am  especially interested in an inexpensive one that installs/works easily with vector and especially ardour.

I was so happy to finally get to toy around with ardour, this vector pc runs all my music trackers fine, but I'm not sure where to begin with this one : www.milkytracker.net

There are many installations there, has anyone installed this to vector, and if so, which linux version should I try? I tried the rpm but didn't realize that vector dosn't do rpms, unless I am retarted. Also, please realize I have no internet connection on my vector linux box so I need to download, burn to cd and install that way.

Any help getting millytracker installed would be greatly appreciated. I honestly don't even know where to begin with that one. So long
as I can get ardour running in full duplex and get milkytracker running I will be incredibly happy.

Also, anyone running cheesetracker or sound tracker on vector? I used to run those on my red-hat box. Any tips on installing those
would be greatly appreciated.

My first concern really is just finding a soundcard that will work to play and record at the same time with ardour, so PLEASE let me know if you have an inexpensive ISA or PCI soundcard that plays/records audio at the same time with Vector/ARDOUR.
I'd like a 24 bit soundcard but I'm not sure this pc could handle
that, so I'd probably be better off staying 16 bit till I get a faster
motherboard, BUT if you are running a 24 bit soundcard with good
results on a similar speed pc (600mhz pentium 3) please do share
your thoughts and experiences with me.

I thank you all in advance for your help. I'm sure I will be a regular around here....

VECTOR ROCKS!

Steven

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:22:34 am »

if it helps..I just installed ardour  via gslapt package manager to vl-light on a p3-600/256meg....the box has a pci ct4810..it installed the ens1371 driver

Ardour installed the following dependancies:
fftw-3.1.2
libsndfile-1.0.17
jack-0.103.0
liblo-0.24
raptor-1.4.16
libirdf-0.4.0
libsamplerate-0.1.2

I can add a bus track and record and then a second and the first plays while the second records

I  had vl-std on this box prior to light and it worked well also

may be a dependency issue or perhaps the onboard is not completely diabled..do not have onboard so can not play with it...

there may be an updated version of the multi media bonus disk also

can you record a track?

are you unchecking record on the first track when recording the second?

cheers

edit: I have a sb-ct4170 isa card will try that and see what happens.

adding: I installed the ct4170 ISA card via vasm and it used the sb16-creative vibra 16x pnp driver

the card works fine for media but ardour gave jack error..I reinstalled ardour and jack but same..reinstalled the ct4810 PCI card and ardour works as before..on the quick I would say although vl likes the ct4170, jack does not.

hope this helps a little

adding: ct5803 seems to work fine with vl5.9 std and ardour
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:10:43 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:36:22 pm »

Welcome to Vector haywire! I am the developer of the Vector Linux Multimedia Bonus Disc (MMBD). For your information, the version that is included on the deluxe cd's is a snapshot of an older development version. Because I had not released a final stable version of the MMBD, the developers had to use what I had available at that time.

If you are interested in the final 1.0 version of the Multimedia Bonus Disc, visit the website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/ there you can download the latest version which has more programs and updates as well as some very important fixes (including but not limited to Ardour) since the initial snapshot on the deluxe cds.

Since you are on dialup and may not be able to download the new MMBD, I have a CD hard copy with a nice printed manual that you can purchase from the http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/downloads.html site. The CD has all of the new updates and the manual contains a TON of crucial information and tutorials that should help you get the most out of your VL + MMBD combination.

Okay, enough of the sales. Wink As for sound cards, there are a number of resources available to help you choose a sound card for Linux. The sound card I have is built into my motherboard so it will not help you, but I can direct you to some sites that may be useful.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatlistcat14.html
http://sound.condorow.net/drivers.html

In general, nearly any newer sound card should be supported out-of-the-box by VL. What I would recommend is searching for the type of card you wish to have, and THEN compare it to various Linux compatibility websites. That way you get the card that you want, and it will work with Linux.

One last thing, if you wish to install software on VL that is not in the repositories, there are two options. The first is to compile it yourself (try vpackager in System? menu) or you can request that someone else build it if you cannot figure out how to do it. Just post a request in the "New Package Requests" forum: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?board=35.0

I may be interested in including some of the software that you mentioned on the next version of the MMBD, so if you could post a thread for each (GNU/Linux compatible) app that you want in the requests forum, I will see if I can't get something built for you and the MMBD at the same time in short order.

I hope I've been of some assistance.

~Dweeberkitty
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 12:39:02 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:15:40 pm »

Overthere,

I agree with you. Looks like vector likes the sb16 just fine but jack and ardour especially... do not. I found some other soundcards in my piles of parts and will
try installing/using some different soundcards and let you all know what works.

Dweeberkitty,

I would be happy to buy a new multimedia cd, but should I wait for you to include those programs I mentioned?

www.skale.org
www.renoise.com
www.milkytracker.net

I would be happy to post a request for these as you mentioned.

I think these 3 trackers would make an excellent addition to your multimedia cd.
Trackers are still in common use by many multimedia artists.

Steven
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:10:28 pm »

I would be happy to buy a new multimedia cd, but should I wait for you to include those programs I mentioned?

Actually I am not planning on a new release of the MMBD until Vector Linux 6.0 comes out (probably in 6 months to a year is my guess). In the meantime, what I will do, in preparation for the next version, is create installers for those programs you wanted and upload them to the repository (which is where you download additional programs for Linux). Then you will merely download those programs separately after you have installed the Multimedia Bonus Disc. In other words, I will make them for the upcoming version of the multimedia disc but let you have them ahead of time. I hope that works for you!

~Dweeberkitty

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:02 pm »

Dweeberkitty,

Installation of renoise and skaletracker are fairly straightforward. Even as a linux newbie I had no trouble installing them. Milkytracker is one however, that requires compiling and I know very little about that so far... So no go.

I will certainly purchase your cd. Hopefully the updates will fix whatever issues I had with ardour, but I think a newer soundcard would probably fix whatever issues I have also.

The multimedia disc is awesome BTW, and being a long time music artist, its what made me choose vector linux as opposed to most other distros. You can check out some previous music/video projects of mine at www.haywire.tv

I'm hoping to migrate completely to linux for most of my music/video projects. Your disc is sure helping make that as painless a process as possible. I encourage you to keep hunting and adding more applications to your already impressive list of apps. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would choose vector just because of the availability of this disc. Its really easy to install, so long as you know how to handle an .sh file.

I remember trying to hunt down multimedia apps for my old red hat 6.0 box, I'd spent a week trying to get one application installed and working, that made me run back to windows for my projects. Audio and video apps have matured, and so has the linux desktop. Its now I feel a valid option for me especially considering the price (nearly free!) My aging workstation is running very well so far as a music tracking pc.
It may not have the muscle for video,but if all goes well I can upgrade the motherboard
later. I am happily loading about 8 gigs of drumloops right now from dvd-roms onto the vector pc... Audacity works well for beatslicing.

All in all so far, even on an old pc...vectorlinux with your multimedia cd rocks...

Steven

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:44:15 pm »

P.S. I forgot to add, but have you thought about adding cinerella the video editing suite to your multimedia cd-rom? Thats one very powerful video editor. Its pretty ridiculous, and can compete quite nicely with all windows/mac non linear editors quite nicely. Not a critiscism just an observation, but your multimedia cd does not really have a really powerful video editor included.

Steven
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 06:57:45 am »

P.S. I forgot to add, but have you thought about adding cinerella the video editing suite to your multimedia cd-rom? Thats one very powerful video editor. Its pretty ridiculous, and can compete quite nicely with all windows/mac non linear editors quite nicely. Not a critiscism just an observation, but your multimedia cd does not really have a really powerful video editor included.

Steven

Yes, Cinelerra was included in the MMBD at the beginning, but some upgrades to the core of Vector Linux have caused it to stop working, indeed, it will not even compile properly. At this point, the development of Cinelerra seems to be on standby and the community version has recently decided to fork Cinelerra and start from scratch. I really did my best to get Cinelerra included but for those reasons, I could not get it to work. I even posted bug reports to the developers but to no avail. The next closest thing that I can find at this moment is Kdenlive but that had issues as well and I could not get it into the final version of the MMBD. However, for the next release, I will make sure there are more video and graphics editing applications. Just browsing through the apps on the MMBD can give you an idea on the state of multimedia in Linux. There is a massive amount of audio software but the video and graphics applications are lacking in a way.

I'm glad you like the MMBD. Have fun!

~Dweeberkitty

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:52 pm »

hmmm... I have not checked out cinerella in ages but remember it from the days of my red-hat box as being pretty great. I guess it took a turn for the worse with continued development.

Well it certainly took a good deal of time for linux audio apps to catch up to windows apps. Perhaps video apps are still in that preliminary stages for linux now. I'm sure more will be popping up as more people migrate to linux on the desktop.

There is enough audio apps on your cd to keep me busy for a long time anyhow Smiley

Steven
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:11 pm »

Well it certainly took a good deal of time for linux audio apps to catch up to windows apps. Perhaps video apps are still in that preliminary stages for linux now.
Steven

I could be wrong, but I really don't know of many Open Source video apps that are all that powerful for Windows either. The power of money, or the hopes of receiving it can work miracles when it comes to development.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:15:05 pm »

Yes your actually right, so I'm sure I shouldn't complain. The more powerful apps available for windows are all closed source, and all pretty expensive to purchase.

I was just hoping to find some decent alternatives on the linux platform.

Steven

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 01:29:10 pm »

You're not alone in your hopes.  Lack of video software at least comparable to Ulead Video Studio is what is keeping my wife from using Linux, or so she says.  I thought I won her over for a few weeks with VL, but I'm afraid I've lost her to the dark side again.  She's hooked on putting home video and images together.  She put's a insane amount of time working out timing to music , transitions (almost null with Linux), and other minute details. I can't find anything to suite her needs with Linux.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:40 pm »

Exteterdad,

Thats funny you mention that because I just introduced my girlfriend to the vector pc.
She dosn't mind it very much I think. One big reason she would not use it really... We have aol and dialup, so there is no way to get online with the vector pc, though I've heard there is a special dialer for aol with linux? I remember when I had a red hat box,
I just switched to earthlink and used an external modem... That linux box worked fine
with earthlink, maybe I should switch, but really I'd rather just wait to get a cable modem
or dsl.

Actually I kind of like the machine being isolated for audio/graphics work only. Keeps me working and not fiddling around with web stuff when I SHOULD be working on something.
I'm getting a cable modem or dsl soon though, so hopefully the vector pc should be online soon. Its pretty hard to add programs or manage a linux system in general with no internet connection at all. Right now I'm downloading stuff, buring cd-roms and fiddling with the vector box that way, its pretty tedious... What do you guys suggest as the easiest option for vector linux, a cable modem or dsl? I'm all for whatever works easiest.

Anyhow for what she does (Word processing and web browsing) I'm sure vector would suite her needs just fine, but she being a non-nerdly kinda girl, sees no need to switch.
I think after we get a high speed connection, I will build her her own vector pc. I'm sure if it was easy to use, she wouldn't mind the switch at all.

I think I'll FINALLY network all my home pcs including the vector box once I get a high speed internet connection, that will be reason enough to network them (Shared internet connection) I just hope that vector is easy to connect to a basic windows home (wired) network, and get a shared internet connection going. I'll be alot happier when I can web-browse on my vector box. I use mozilla firefox on my windows box already... Time to look at hubs and routers soon...

Steven
www.haywire.tv
www.myspace.com/haywire

P.S. Since I spent several days putting the vector pc together, and actually closed it all up... I have yet to rip it apart again so I can try the different soundcards I have around.
I will be doing that this weekend, and I'll report my results.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 04:17:57 am »

Now to distract your thread even further.... Cheesy

My mother inlaw is one of VL's newest users.  She was plagued with malware in XP that kicked my butt repeatedly. I sat her down and asked her to tell me exactly what she uses her laptop for, and what were her needs.

It boiled down to the fact she needed access to her email (web based), be able to log on to a web based system at work to enter her timesheet info's.  And to be able to view and compose MS office documents. And she is addicted to Windows solitaire.
So with that on the table, it didn't take much to convince her to switch to VL.  Firefox with a little tutorial solved a few of her needs.  Open Office was not a biggie as I had installed the Windows version for her some time ago.  Wine + sol.exe + a custom shortcut/icon took care of the solitaire emergency.
She is perfectly content.  She has pretty good tech support if I say so myself. And her laptop doesn't have to load all that ineffective anti-<fill in the blanks> software on bootup. That little notebook goes like a rocket.
My mother inlaw...  bless her soul.  Is a very simple person when it comes to anything computer related.  She is doing just fine Smiley

And she has discovered her newest addiction....  Frozen-Bubble.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 05:58:23 am »

Well thats another success story with vector linux.

My mother in law could probably get by with vector as well, she uses her pc for about the same stuff yours does. Smiley

She plays on those strange web based game sites too, which I'm sure would run fine in firefox....

As far as solitaire...
Whats the matter, didn't she like Pysol? I think that blows windows solitaire away.

Steven

P.S. Do you know of an easy to install chess game I can play against the pc with?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: