VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 04:37:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JAVA Development?  (Read 1306 times)
oblivion02

« on: May 18, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »

I was wondering why there are no packages in the repository for the JDK, or NetBeans or Eclipse. I know this can be done manually, and I can just go ahead and grab the latest JDK, JRE, and Netbeans from the SUN website, but I think development tools like these should be available in every distro. Just a suggestion.

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:00:22 pm »

Hi oblivion02,

As you said, most of those packages can be grabbed on the net in binary format, (linuxpackages.net, sun website, or the eclipse project site).

A couple of packagers (rbistolfi and me) decided some time ago to provide packages in blocks, aimed to cover some needs of different users:

For example, we released some apps related to command line interface (terminals, im clients and so).

Then we thought of vl-net which is what we're working on (with mutencillo and toothandnail collaboration), which will have some traffic sniffing tools, and wifi auditory as well as ftp clients, ntp, or samba related tools.

We have vl-dev in mind and vl-fun, but you know time is short, and manpower little.

Here's an outline of what we thought packaging.  Feel free to post suggestions.
Code:
compilers:
nvcc (cc for programming gpu's)
lisp
clisp
jdk

IDEs:
eclipse
mono
lazarus

editors:
vim with lastest patchset
emacs
vimplugins?
scribes (lots of gnome deps, so maybe undoable)

.NET:

http://www.dotgnu.org/
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

tools:
    ddd.  gdb frontend
    ctags (already there)
    cscope
    valgrind

libs:
someone packaged many libraries for 5.8. Let's hope he supplied slackBuilds too ;)

versioning control:  (most of them are already in slackware repos. is it worth to repackage them?)
    subversion (svn)
    cvs
    bazaar
    git
    hg
    darcs

Feel free to join the packagers group if you think you could help and have time to spend on this Cheesy . PM rbistolfi for more info (I'll be offline some days)

oblivion02

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:15:46 pm »

Any specific reason no NetBeans included? I know Eclipse has its advantages over NetBeans, but some people prefer NetBeans anyway.

Anywho, I'd gladly join the packagers team... If someone could show me how packaging works, or point me towards a good tutorial, I'd gladly become a VL Packager. I found my new home ^.^ And I'd love to help out in any way I can. My "development" experience extends merely to ".NET" and JAVA, but I'll gladly help in anything I can.

Also, I read through the "WIKI" for packaging, and I was wondering if VL 5.9 STD would be alright for packaging?

NOTE: I merely skimmed through the WIKI Article, since I'm about to go to bed right now. I'll read up on it, and work on it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:26:24 pm by oblivion02 » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:07:02 am »

Yes, indeed, it would be nice to have a JDK package, but installing JDK is pretty easy.
First, remove the JRE that ships with Vector:

Code:
removepkg jre
rm -f /usr/lib/java

Next, download the JDK from Sun and unpack it in /usr/lib. Then symlink the jdk directory to /usr/lib/java.
For example:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/jdk1.6.0_06 /usr/lib/java

After that is done, you will be able to use the compiler and other tools without problems since /usr/lib/java/bin is already defined in your path.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:02:52 am »

the best guide IMO of course for packaging on VL is here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/packaging/

Let us know if you have more questions after you read it.

Uelsk8s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: