VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:57:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 080520 cups-1.3.7 [VL59]  (Read 2274 times)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« on: May 20, 2008, 07:14:37 am »

rbistolfi has packaged cups-1.3.7 for VL59

Package: cups-1.3.7-i486-1_slack12.0.tlz
Sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/source/testing/base/cups
cups: CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System)
cups:
cups: The Common UNIX Printing System provides a portable printing layer for
cups: UNIX(R)-like operating systems. It has been developed by Easy Software
cups: Products to promote a standard printing solution for all UNIX vendors
cups: and users.  CUPS uses the Internet Printing Protocol ("IPP") as the
cups: basis for managing print jobs and queues.  The CUPS package includes
cups: System V and Berkeley command-line interfaces, a PostScript RIP
cups: package for supporting non-PostScript printer drivers, and tools for
cups: creating additional printer drivers and other CUPS services.
cups:

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:03:31 pm »

Per request of rbistolfi this package has been pulled from the repo.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:47 pm »

New version of this package will available soon. We repackaged this to match new openssl versions. This fix the security issue reported here:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-0047
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-1373

I don't have a printer Sad, if some experienced users can test this package would be great, so we can recommend the upgrade to our newer users. My apologies for the issues with this, first time dealing with this kind of packages. We will be doing it better from now, working for an even more secure vector Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:33:06 am »

rbistolfi's updated package cups-1.3.7-i486-1_slack12.0, is in the testing repo and ready for download.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:39:25 am »

Installed via Gslapt without errors.

But web based interface is buggered up for me:
http://localhost:631
Yields 404 Not found.

Although:
http://localhost:631/admin.cgi
Yields a VERY mangled admin page without images or css.  So the server is up and working.  I would seem some config is off, causing the interface to break.

Haven't found the cause, but am looking.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:46:40 am »

Web based interface problem resolved by adding:
DocumentRoot /usr/doc/cups
To /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Or as root:
Code:
echo 'DocumentRoot /usr/doc/cups' >> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Not a easy way get this working out of the box.  Most SW packages won't overwrite a existing .conf or .rc file.  The doinst.sh will detect a old one, then append ".new" to the name of the new one, so it isn't used unless specified by the user. I suppose some magic could be added to the doinst.sh to grep DocumentRoot of the cupsd.conf after it has been moved, then add that line if it does not?

I'm not sure why adding a DocumentRoot (location of cups webpages) is even needed.  I checked out the SlackBuild used and one of the config options explicitly sets the docdir.  I would think it would be compiled in?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »

Thanks for testing Exeterdad, a new package was made. The repo maintainer will move it to testing for you soon Tongue

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 06:00:15 am »

cups-1.3.7-i486-2_slack12.0.tlz Is now in the repo ready for download and testing.

rbistolfi has fixed the issue with the web based interface perfectly.  I have installed and can confirm this.  But....  as luck would have it, my printer is too low on ink and I am unable to get it to respond to test printing.  This is not the fault of the package.  I can't get it to print with another VL machine that had been properly configured with the original cups package either.

Could someone please test this?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 04:18:49 am »

Exeterdad, I'm not sure about printers configured with the old cups, because I deleted the printer before upgrading...

But I think I lost the xfce "connection" after upgrading cups.
Meaning, if I open Printing System Settings, CUPS is not there as an option.

I think as a consequence the Print Manager doesn't show a printer, even though one is properly installed through the web interface.

I'm not sure this is the case, but since it happened after upgrading, I suspect that was the cause.
Can anyone confirm?

exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:47:23 am »

Menu > Settings > Printing System Settings.  Dialog has three choices on mine. 1) None 2) Cups 3) BSD-LPR.

Is this what you're talking about?

BTW, I still haven't gotten ink yet to test this package completely. Cheap printer, expensive ink.  Should of looked further before purchasing.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »

Menu > Settings > Printing System Settings.  Dialog has three choices on mine. 1) None 2) Cups 3) BSD-LPR.

Is this what you're talking about?

That's it.
I only got None and BSD-LPR.
And no printer in Accessories > Printer Manager. (I used to)

Not sure about the implications. I can print from (say) Mousepad, anyway.
And I guess I can just go to the cups page to cancel a job, instead of going to the Print Manager.

If you can't replicate it, maybe this has some other cause...

EDIT: It turns out I CANNOT print from Mousepad, only from medit. I wonder why.
I will try downgrading to see if that's got something to do with it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 01:25:14 pm by wcs » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 04:15:47 pm »

Hi wcs, thanks for testing this. I do have a cups entry on xfce printing manager. But I don't have any printer to test this Sad. I appreciate your digging, I will try to fix any issue you could find.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 05:08:54 pm »

I can't track this down either as it's appearing fine for me. Accessories > Printer Manager: Shows my printer.  Even shows my unfinished print job from when I was trying to test when this package was submitted.  But...  no ink=no printer for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: