VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:25:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for Contest (Free Prizes)  (Read 13623 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 07:51:05 pm »

Vector analysis

Everything Is Relative
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 08:00:09 am »

I was thinking, maybe creating t-shirt with some Vector stuff on it would be nice competition?

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 09:15:44 am »

would be hard to send the prize to where i live,so i wont be in it for the prize probably Cheesy

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 09:24:54 am »

I would really, really like to have a Vector Linux t-shirt!  I like the idea of the contest, but I see a problem in actually making them:

1) To keep costs down, you need to make a lot of them.
2) People are going to want different sizes and colors.

Consequently ...

If you're actually going to make the t-shirts, you either need somebody to front the money to have them made (could be quite a chunk of change) or take pre-orders, and be prepared to refund everybody's money if you don't get enough orders to actually make the shirts.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:11 am »

blurymind:

Do you live on the Moon or something?  Just kidding, and no I'm not really asking where you live.

I've been working under the assumption that you're the younger Clint Eastwood, living in the Old West of the 19th century, shooting bad guys, smoking cigarillos, and using your time machine plus a hidden Pentium 4 to work on VL development.

Don't burst my dreams, man.

Ooh, oooooh ... contest idea!  Vector Linux time machine!

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 09:32:55 am »

Variation on budulay's idea:

A Vector Linux graphic specifically designed to be printed onto one of those iron-on t-shirt things.  You could print it up and put it on the t-shirt of your choice.

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 10:14:16 am »

i live in bulgaria. I am rather doubtful that any prize would get shipped here.  Grin I like your t-shirts idea.

Vector linux logo needs more ideas and freedom for improvisation in order for an artist to create something original,like original content to boost popularity.I did some comical wallpapers in the past (check my kde-look (im blurymind there too))
Maybe you could slip in some developer humor and with some more drawing skills make it look cool Cool
Thats why many distros have a mascot,and not only a logo...or if they do have a logo,it means something more than what it looks like.
I proposed a silver rocket as a logo idea,or atleast a silver rocket with the v planet- there is some retro sci fi vintage there...

You need to somehow hint an artist,to tickle their imagination very hard.To do that,you need to create some soul for the product.

also you need to be more specific as to what is expected from the participants..and leave them with lots of freedom to do whatever they want,but associate it with VL.
also would be a good idea to actually go to some artist comunity,instead of our little forum here.If i was to start an art contest with real prizes,i would definatelly go to deviantart,kde-look and the other *-look websites and promote the hell out of it.

anyways,shouldnt this topic be in the art section of the forum that is almost a wasteland these days

if not an art project,it could be many other things...but you need to look for a common skill in this comunity
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:25:43 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 11:42:45 am »

I would really, really like to have a Vector Linux t-shirt!

I thought you could buy vector coffee mugs and t-shirts from the VLstore...maby not listed on the new page yet?...or was I dreaming

Everything Is Relative
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 02:06:42 pm »

If people _win_ a T-shirt in a contest, then they don't get to decide the color, so that's not really a problem :-p

Oops! I spoke out in this thread. Now I feel obliged to make a contribution to the topic.

Ya know, this topic has been playing in the back of my mind ever since I first read it. I think the idea is really cool. And I like reading all your ideas, I really do. What can I say? Some contest ideas that went through my mind where...

...not good enough. But still I'll post them:
- The most innovative VL-improvement contest (<=that's a _real_ challenge)
- The most inspiring description of a VL powered small network setup (<=I'd be really interested in reading :-p)
- Home brew administration tools show off
- Artwork themes

I'd really think it would be cool if somehow the winner would receive his or her prize in the form of the multi-media disk (that is a good idea) although the T-shirt has it's appeal too, but of course the coolest thing would be if the winners work would be included in the next release. If applicable of course!

__
btw. I really think the silver rocket with the VL logo would be cool. It just seems to go well with the whole color theme of Vector.
Quote from: blurymind
Maybe you could slip in some developer humor and with some more drawing skills make it look cool
Jep. I'm always in for that sort of things. Although I'm not a developer and I have trouble enough as it is with my bash scripts, but I enjoy the sense of humor. Ya know (it's late here and I'm rambling, sorry) but when my machine crashed beyond repair that faithful day some years ago and the only thing that got it to work again was a fresh install of Slackware... I really felt at home the moment I read those little remarks in the config files. The little insider jokes. It gave a human face to the alien environment that runlevel 3 is to a former XP user.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 02:46:35 pm »

blurymind:  You burst my dreams, man!

Seriously, though, Bulgaria is a great country.  Back when I lived in Europe I visited there a few times.  I thought it was really beautiful.  Definitely better than the Old West in 19th Century American history.  I really like Sofia, and there were a lot of other places I wanted to see, but didn't get the chance.  I hope to go back some day.

Other contest ideas ... best Fluxbox customization?  How about something with lolcats (just kidding)?  Most imaginative use of VectorLinux?  What about a sticker design (sort of like how you can get those Tux and "Linux Inside" stickers from http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5b43/)?

Personally I would love a VL t-shirt, hat, mug, and some stickers for my various VL machines. 

Tom

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 03:02:39 pm »

Dough!.... Someody here read my mind.

I was just thinking the same thing while chatting on IRC w/ dweer

Here is my idea...

The Prize: A vl t-shirt or a mug or some VL goodie (or even a goodie package)
How to win it: Use the MMBD ISO to create a nice VL commercial. Anything from audio, to Video, to a simple slideshow.
Preferrably a video. Post it on youtube, and let's get some ratings going...

Just my 2 cents

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 03:03:40 pm »

blurymind,

I will check on the shipping prices, but if you were to win one of these contests, I think we would definitely still send you a free MMBD. That's going to be the deal of the contest. Whoever wins gets a free one shipped to their house and I would certainly keep my side of the bargain even if it meant I'd have to shell out a little extra to get it there.

Just so long as you don't live in an area so remote we have to send in a private helicopter to access your house our have it packed in on alpacas with native foot guides, we will get it there. I promise.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:11:46 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 03:42:09 pm »

UPS ships to Bulgaria.

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 05:14:24 pm »

So where will the entries be received and what information is required with the entry. If I have a sound file or wallpaper or video or presentation where do I send it.

why not  a utube video to advertize the contest....this is what you can do with the MMBD added to a std download...want one...enter

contests not for you...visit the vector store and buy your copy today

just wondering

Everything Is Relative
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 06:40:38 pm »

overthere,

I will make a formal post announcing the beginning of the contest with all of the details about what needs to be included with each entry and the judging criteria. Just as soon as we decide on a contest that is... Roll Eyes

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: