VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: VL and my usb hard drive - not a problem :)  (Read 1392 times)

cool_arrow

VL and my usb hard drive - not a problem :)
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:30:04 am »

As I've indicated in another post I've recently installed VL 5.9.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that VL detected and mounted my Seagate usb hard drive.  This same drive was not mounted automatically by many popular distros (had to be done manually).  The only other OS that mounted it automatically was Windows.  Question:  what does VL 5.9 do to make this happen that the other distros don't?

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: VL and my usb hard drive - not a problem :)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:33:20 am »

I have a usb hard drive that automounts with vl-hot when I turn it on (I always leave it plugged in).  Without knowing more, I suspect that's what is happening with your drive.
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

cool_arrow

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:38:26 am »

During VL install I chose the VL-hot option.  I'm not sure what this is, but I'm glad it works :D

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:55:14 am »

I love vl-hot.  It has worked great with everything I've thrown at it, and it's less resource intensive than HAL (I think ... somebody smarter correct me if I'm wrong).
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 03:43:54 pm »

Vl-hot fan here too. It is a mounter application developed by our joe1962. It is based in udev rules, so it doesn't need to run an extra daemon as hal, just udevd. It is designed to automount removable media as flashdrives and sd cards. It is not designed to mount cd's or dvd's. I think it is one of the killer features of VL.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!