VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Multiple monitors and VECTORLINUX?  (Read 2285 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
Multiple monitors and VECTORLINUX?
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:36 am »

This is my first vector linux PC but I'm already thinking about building a more powerful
system. I think I'll stick with my current vector pc for some time, but I was curious if
anyone is using vector linux with multiple monitors and if so, how did you do that?

Ideally, I'd like 3 monitors, like a big 20+ inch flatscreen in the middle and a smaller (15-18 inch flatscreen) on each side.

Does vectorlinux support the matrox multiple monitor cards?  SUSE linux as I recall did support my matrox g100 card, but that video card is so old it didn't run very good.
I'd be happy to buy a better one for my next vector pc if someone can tell me that it
will work without many headaches in vector linux.

Also,How does using multiple monitors affect the workspace feature of the desktop?
Again, these are just little curiousities but I'm anxious to hear if this is possible,
and what has been your experience with using multiple monitors?

Steven
www.haywire.tv
www.myspace.com/haywire

alec

Re: Multiple monitors and VECTORLINUX?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:33:32 am »

Vector xorg autoconfiguration is best I've seen so far (anybody know whats the secret?).

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:59:44 am »

The secret is not easy to explain in a few words.  If you study the many scripts involved...  you will know :)
Our devs are some pretty smart cookies eh?

haywire

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:19:56 am »

So I can assume multiple monitors works well with vectorlinux?

Boy it just keeps getting better...
(Now daydreaming of my bigger badder vector pc with 3 or 5 monitors ahhhh...)

:)

Steven
www.haywire.tv
www.myspace.com/haywire

alec

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:26:32 am »

Our devs are some pretty smart cookies eh?
You really should advertise it more. The fact that not all linux distros are built equal.

I use an external monitor on my laptop from day 1, it was set up automatically, different resolution on external is not a problem. Don't know about spanning the desktop over several monitors. Should be fairly easy with xrandr or xinerama

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:51:38 am »

I did try two monitors in Vector a couple years back. It was all done by editing xorg.conf. It looks like you can use the control panels that come with the proprietary drivers to set it up too.

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:40:31 am »

So I can assume multiple monitors works well with vectorlinux?

Boy it just keeps getting better...
(Now daydreaming of my bigger badder vector pc with 3 or 5 monitors ahhhh...)

:)

Steven
www.haywire.tv
www.myspace.com/haywire

I can't confirm nor deny the success of using multiple monitors with VL.  I haven't the need for that setup.  And wouldn't want it unless I had the money to have exact matching monitors.  I'm kinda funny that way.

But I see threads all the time from VL members who have mentioned success.  Maybe some of them will stop by to offer encouragement.

haywire

• Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:41:07 am »

I have to say the hardware configuration with vector was just great, no headaches or hair pulling. It installed very easily, even on this old gateway box which I'm sure has alot of not so common components.

I have an old matrox g100 4 monitor video card. In windows, it can do 1280x1024 on 4 seperate monitors. I plan on trying that video card with the next vector pc I will put together from my trashpile... Er um I mean my stash of high quality, slightly older components.  ;D

I think its funny actually, my new vectorpc built from trash parts is seeing alot more use every day than my fairly new vista machine. I find myself just enjoying working (playing some might say) on the vector pc, much like I did on my old beloved amiga. (Yes remember when you actually enjoyed the time you spent in front of your computer, that computer you actually really liked?) I feel exactly like that now about my vector pc, I just
really enjoy using it, its quickly becoming my favorite computer since my amiga, and thats a LONG time ago.  

Vector linux is running beautifully on this old doorstop. I can't wait to get a newer motherboard and try vector on a newer processor. I may also install it to my sony vaio laptop, which is kind of older but should be very useful for audio projects with vector....

Portable vector would just be awesome!

EXETERDAD... I kind of agree with you on the matching monitors, but I happen to have two matching 15 inch flatscreens, so if I did the 3 monitor setup I'd just need a BIG monitor for the center... The side monitors would match.  And I too haven't the NEED for it, but it would just
be cool to have. The workspace setup in linux makes that kind of unneccessary, but it would be
nice to have all that desktop space I think.

Steven
www.haywire.tv
www.myspace.com/haywire

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:45:22 am by haywire »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:46:05 am »

I just did an experiment using two monitors on my ATI Radeon 9600 and the proprietary fglrx driver. The monitors showed up in the Catalyst Control Center. I enabled both and tested "clone" mode as well as "big desktop". Everything works as advertised.  ;D

It will probably be a little more involved with your Matrox card, as Linux software for that hardware is less advanced. Expect some web search and manual edits to xorg.conf, but I'm sure it can be done.