VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:56:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed to install postfix  (Read 1500 times)
jamie

« on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:58 pm »

Hi everyone

I've installed VL this afternoon. Still getting to grips with it really. I've been reading the docs for several hours now but i'm still not clear how i should go about installing software.

I want to install postfix, mutt and fetchmail. I understand i can use 'slapt-get --install [package]. I've tried this but it says all of the packages i request don't exist. Clearly i've got something wrong here but i just seem to be going round in circles.

I've been reading another HOW-TO about building from source. I don't really want to go down that route yet if i can help it, as i don't yet feel confident enough to do it.

I've got no problem reading up and getting stuck in myself, but i just can't seem to find much info that i can make sense of.

I'd really appreciate some help guys.

Jamie
jamie

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:45:09 pm »

I should add, i'm using VL 5.9 deluxe.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:16:31 pm »

Hi Jamie, welcome to Vector Linux.

Your first stop should be the gslapt package manager. It is on the start menu. First, click edit > preferences > sources, then check the lines for "patches" and "testing". Let it update, then use the search field to look for your package.

If that doesn't do it, you may enter a request for the package in the forum. Or you can just search for a compatible Slackware package. For VL 5.9 that would be Slack 12. Sites like www.linuxpackages.net and www.slacky.it have a good selection. Download the package, open a root terminal and change to the folder where you downloaded the package to. Enter command "installpkg <nameofpackage>". Note that unlike gslapt, this will not pull in dependencies, you may have to resolve those yourself.

jamie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 01:34:47 am »

Thanks nightflier

I managed to download a slackware .tgz file from linuxpackages. I right clicked; selected 'install' and it seemed to install fine.

I wanted to ask if anyone know if using this method will also ensure that all the dependencies i need for that software will be installed also? Or should i use another method?

Jamie
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 10:03:18 am »

postfix-2.5.1 is in VL repository, so I'd advise just install it using gslapt.
just make it simple.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: