VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 08:54:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Light RC1 bugs/annoyances.  (Read 27080 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: May 22, 2008, 08:04:43 pm »

Please post any issues here.

A great thanks to everyone who have been helping us test.
Nightflier.
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:53:07 am »

I don't see a taskbar and a "start" button.  Is that by design?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:00:33 pm »

I don't see a taskbar and a "start" button.  Is that by design?

What window manager are you using?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:05:17 pm »

I think it's fluxbox.  I just installed RC1 and logged in and didn't see a task bar.  I rebooted and still don't see a task bar. 

FWIW, this is installed in VMWare Server running on VL 5.8 SOHO.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:58 pm »

This seems to be a sporadic bug in LXDE, especially on initial login. What happens if you log out, select JWM, log in and back out, then select LXDE?
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:45 pm »

OK, just confirmed that fluxbox and jwm work fine.  I had been logging into LXDE, and I still don't see a task bar there.  No biggie for me, I like the jwm WM anyways.

A couple of things, while in the LXDE session, I tried to change the Window Manager to Fluxbox or jwm through the Control Center.  A message showed up after I choose a WM, and it disappeared very quickly, so I'm not sure what it said.  After rebooting, I was still taken to the LXDE session. 

Also, when I tried to log in to the openbox WM, all I see is a black window and the mouse pointer. 
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »

This seems to be a sporadic bug in LXDE, especially on initial login. What happens if you log out, select JWM, log in and back out, then select LXDE?

How do I log out from the command prompt?  I tried "logout" from the root prompt and nothing happened.  So I've been rebooting instead.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:57 pm »

I guess it's hard to log out when there is no menu button  Undecided  the forceful way would be to hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. That should bring you to KDM, the login manager.

If you do get the desktop icons in LXDE, try opening the terminal and issue command "lxpanel". What does that do?
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 12:46:29 pm »

I do have icons on the desktop.  When I ran "lxpanel" from command, the panel shows up, but the command window says "lxpanel: can't load netstat plugin" and there is an empty black box on the panel next to the time.  When I close the command window, the panel disappears.

Also, I tried logging in to JWM and logged out and then logged in to the LXDE session and still no go.  In fact, I've been rebooting and logging out of other WM sessions many times and then logging in to LXDE, and I have still not been able to see the panel once.  So I guess there is probably another issue at play than the bug that you are referring to? 
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:43 pm »

For those of you running LXDE and who do not see the panel, open a terminal if you can and type this
Code:
lxpanel --profile LXDE &
That should load the panel

@ nightflier
Check the startlxde script to make sure it's loading the panel

And while we're on the subject
I have just updated the ports on our Ports repo for these packages
I built them successfully on a light rc1 install with no problem at all. The packages are sitting @ uel's box for some customization, but if you guys want to build your own, simply have vpackager run these. They should all build, with the exception of lxsession-lite. On this one, you need to edit the Pkgfile and change the line that says "--enable-hal" to "--disable-hal" since hal is not installed in light.

other than that, you should be fine.

FWIW, I dont think this is a LXDE bug, I've been using it for a while, and haven't experienced this myself. It's got to be a problem is the config file somewhere.
There is my $0.02
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:10:42 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »

dowloaded and installed RC1 Light. Looks real good only problem I've found so far is that the
root terminal does not work in LXDE under the System Tools Menu.
other than that it looks real good.
Thanks for all the work.
Dave  Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »

For those of you running LXDE and who do not see the panel, open a terminal if you can and type this
Code:
lxpanel --profile LXDE &
That should load the panel

FWIW, when I ran this code, the panel loads and disappears very quickly.  The command window says:

afshin:$ lxpanel: simple.c:282: snd_mixer_selem_get_playback_volume_range: Assertion `elem' failed.

Not sure what that means.  And I am not sure if this is related to the error above, but alsa was not able to find my sound card during installation.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:45:02 pm »

that does indicate a problem with the sound system because the panel is attempting to load the volume applet. You can remove your  .config/lxpanel to get around it. You may not be able to use that applet until you get your sound problems fixed

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 01:46:47 pm »

.. related to the error above, but alsa was not able to find my sound card during installation.

It may be related to the volume control applet then. If you can bring up the panel using the terminal, right-click it, and remove the volume control and netmonitor applets. Log out and back in and see.

Trivia: if you type "lxpanel &", it should stick even if you close the terminal window. Of course it is a band-aid approach but useful for troubleshooting.

@ M0E-lnx: This is the first report of panel consistently not loading, but there have been sporadic instances in the past. I am experimenting with the new packages, but there are big changes and issues I have not figured out yet.
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »

Perhaps it's the VMWare that's causing some problems with the panel and all. 

I'll try installing it to one of my computers here and see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: