VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:57:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Light RC1 released.  (Read 45720 times)
liunx

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 01:02:07 am »

Roll Eyes
Hello,Vector:
I am a Chinese user and i really hope that the little vl5.9rc1 can support Chinese better ,that's would be fine!!

rojen

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »

New to Linux, but used to be a unix admin 10 yrs ago.  Have an old Sony PCG-FX370K 1Ghz, 256Ram,20Gig.  Out of 10 distros this is the most complete loading.  Only 3 finished install.  Initially wireless would not work.  I would set it up, but iwconfig reported it as unencrypted.  (I could not disable encryption due to other netw needs).  wpa_supplicant looked great, but for some reason that was as far as it got.  By the way I have a PCMCIA Belkin 54g wireless card.

During install I selected noframes for faster speed.

I also had the following issues.
1. On first boot I saw a lot of failed symbolic links.  While moving the mouse after login, the system hung and I ended up powering it off.
2. Second boot I left the room for 30 minutes, came back the system was powered off.
3. On third boot is hung when I tried to log in. 
4. I had the same missing vasmcc as others.
5. I must have misread and fat fingered something, in its place I saw root.  My dos partition was missing.  Looking at the boot I saw where it was mounted and then root was mounted with the same mount point.  When I deleted the mount point and rebooted I got a bad superblock error.  fsck did not work using suggested syntax.

Now realize that many of these *errors* may be my own.  I am stretching my memory and trying to use old solaris and old HPUX knowledge and so much has changed besides.  A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Anyway rather than try and get around the bad superblock, I just reinstalled.  Guess what, wireless came up without a hitch.  This is the first distro to properly connect wireless as part of the install. 

I selected frames with High graphics splash this time around. 
VASMCC works too.

The only issue I had was after load when I told it to reboot I got this message:
sh:  convert.sh:  no such file or directory.   - but when I hit return it continued to reboot and I seem to work fine.

Did I mention how wonderfully fast this is.  Wow!  Now I get to play and learn it, lol.

Let's see, find some more games for the wife, and I need to get wine working with an app or two from win.

Rojen.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 01:23:55 am »

Welcome Aboard Rojen.

I'm sure you will enjoy Vector 5.9 Light. it's a great little Distro.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Triceratops

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 02:39:21 am »

Hello all.
I have next problems during VL 5.9 Light RC1 installation to computer P1 166, 64 MB RAM, 3 GB HDD, 3Com Lan card, 1 mb VideoRam(800x600 16 bit color max mode), CDROM:
1)Installation program cann't find instalation's image if restart after create partitions. I install linux successfuly when continue instalation wihtout restart after create partition.
2)My com-port 3button mouse was found, but does't work.(It's work in WindowsXP wthout any problem). Usb mouse work without problem.
3)Lan card doesn't work in Vector linux, but it work in Windows XP and Damn Linux without any problem.
4)In pakage utility in window when need to choose source RPM package for compilation to VL package I cann't see button for brouse file in 800x600 resolution, but I can use it if use "TAB" key
   Also I don't see "Compile" button.
5)When I try to compil  OpenOffice RPM package(I download latest vercion from official site), I get error when file with JRE extension start to compile. How can I skip this file? or other ways for getting OpenOffice distrib for Vector linux.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 04:49:25 am »

For your mouse, make sure "serial" is checked in hardware initialization (use vasm).

The driver for your network card is probably not included. You may be able to use DSL to extract the necessary information, and maybe even the driver.

Avoid RPM packages. Use Slackware 11 packages instead.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 07:13:07 am »

Don't you mean Slackware 12?  I thought VL 5.9 was based on 12.

Also, for OpenOffice you'd be much better off with the package in the Vector Linux repository than the Slackware package.  I agree that when a VL package isn't available then Slackware is the next best alternative.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 08:22:06 am »

Of course it's Slack 12, duh! (I really need to upgrade from 5.8 ).

Once Triceratops gets his network card up and running, his best option is to use gslapt.
mutencillo

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:20 pm »

Hi! I had a problem with my new lappy. It's a Samsung R60Plus, and when i boot for the first time with RC1, my grpahic card didn't work. It's an ATI X1250, and I needed to install proprietary drivers to use it.
Another problem is that vectorlinux doesn't recognize the ethernet card. I have proved with a lot of drivers and nothing happens.
Here you can see lspci output:

Code:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 0001:001c (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device 0001:4353 (rev 15)

Thanks for all

Vector Linux 5.9 Light RC1
Dell Latitude C610
P3 1000 128MB RAM 20GB HD
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 01:26:43 pm »

What result do you get if you try "modprobe sk98lin" ?
mutencillo

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 11:28:24 am »

If I try with "modprobe sk98lin" iget "FATAL: Module sk98lin not found." Sad

thanks

Vector Linux 5.9 Light RC1
Dell Latitude C610
P3 1000 128MB RAM 20GB HD
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 07:26:33 am »

I appears that the module for your card is not included by default. I suggest opening a thread in the "Hardware and Drivers" section.
deluxe

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:53 am »

For your mouse, make sure "serial" is checked in hardware initialization (use vasm).

The driver for your network card is probably not included. You may be able to use DSL to extract the necessary information, and maybe even the driver.

Avoid RPM packages. Use Slackware 11 packages instead.

I have VL 5.9 lite installed on a Vaio Laptop. It's a P1, currently 192MB ram, 5GB HD, and chugs along quite nicely............except for one issue I have been unable to solve.
Just very occasionally the touchpad works. Most of the time I end up plugging in a USB mouse which *always* works. Despite delving deep into the bowels of VASM and SuperVASM, and trying most of the config options, nothing brings the touchpad back to life.

Just sometimes, after a random boot or reboot, and always when I least expect it, the touchpad will work for a while, but it it very perplexing.
Anyone have any help for me.....I have searched Google thoroughly, and experimented with a few suggestions that seemed pertinent, but nothing helped.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 01:17:19 pm »

@deluxe:  At this point I'd try upgrading to VL Light 6.0.  Hardware support is much improved.  My two laptop touchpads have always worked but that doesn't mean the upgrade won't help your issue.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: