In order to check, if the LILO error issue was due to not set BOOT flag on ROOT partition, i've performed install on my home PC too. And still, LILO rose the same error. I can't imagine, how this can be connected with previous OS on that HDD partition - because it gets formatted. Moreover, for this install I've created new partition on Unalocated Space.
in / directory I found liloerror :
Warning: Device 0x0340: Inconsistent partition table, 1st entry
CHS address in PT: 353:0:1 --> LBA (5670945)
LBA address in PT: 449836065 --> CHS (28001:0:1)
Fatal: Either FIX-TABLE or IGNORE-TABLE must be specified
If not sure, first try IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)
I am using Symon R3 as boot manager (it also generates MBR for every system boot). And CHS (28001:0:1) is the value, I've set in partition editor as beginning of Vector root partition.
Some other observations.
0) When installing, immediately after VECTOR LINUX CONFIGURATION dialog (as described in file:///F:/doc/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#configure), follows the dialog, where I was asked if I want to change default Keyboard Layout and Keyboard type (from pc-102). What is this for? I've already had 2 opportunities to change KEYMAP, and Keyboard type too. Does it affect the text-mode, or X-Window UI? By the way, in the KEYMAP dialog, after selecting "ru" layout, I didn't manage to switch layout and test for correctness. What is the default <layout switch> hotkey (really, need that in both console and X-Window)?
1) When booting, the following appeared
/dev/.tmp-3-00: unknown volume type"
is it supposed to be this way ?
A bit later
"Caching fonts : FAILED"
I'have managed to break smth already ?
2) At KDM prompt
when provided wrong user login/password the appearing message "Login Failed" overlaps buttons
3) VASMCC didn't launch at all, without any messages - in HTOP process "gksu" loaded CPU for 2 seconds, then was gone
4) In LXDE: in lxApperance ( Menu->Settings->Appearence ) the program has to panels. When selecting theme/icon on the left side the right window refreshes to blank sometimes. I.e. nothing is dispalyed for current selection.
when choosing 'default', text file "Usage for Xdialog" is opened (if running X-Window; without it nothing happens)
6) In X File Explorer (Xfe): when mouse is positioned over column separator ( | ) or panel separator (vertical line) its cursor simply disappears. When dragging, both cursor and object icon disappear.
Vector has proven to be FAST: I did some stop-watch metering
1) Suse 9.3 (no tweaking) boot to X-Window with Window Maker 60 sec
2) Mandriva 2007.1 boot to command prompt 30 sec
3) Vector 5.9 Light boot to JWM (autologin) 30 sec